Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #1

Onan 5500 Marquis generator Won't Turn over

I'm new here, so please forgive me if this was discussed somewhere else, but I just recently bought a 2006 Daybreak 3276 by Damon that has a 5500 Onan genny on it. The previous owner said that there are no issues with it, and it always ran. However, her husband who has passed always set that up, so not sure if there's something he may have done to get running. I can't get it running myself w/out jump starting it at the genny itself. It runs just fine after doing this, but just won't turn over/crank/start unless jumped. I can hear the fuel pump running when trying to start. Here's what I know:
1. All batteries seem to be good.
2. I've tried starting on the Genny itself and inside the coach.
3. It won't turn over with the coach running or plugged into Shore line.
4. Battery disconnect is NOT in store mode.
5. Has plenty of Gas/Oil.
6. All other electrical within the coach operate just fine (the slides, lights etc...)
7. Breakers on Genny are set to on.

Am I missing a switch somewhere that is used when it's stored that I'm not turning on, a fuse somewhere that I just can't find etc...? I've been banging my head on this ever since we go the coach. Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!
Jagua is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #2

Welcome! Sounds like you have some type of failure between the battery and the connection to the generator. I would check all cables for corrosion or breakage. May not be a bad idea to replace the cables if they are the original ones. Also, have you had your batteries tested to be sure they have enough amps to start the genny? I would take it into a cummins shop if you have one near by.
Best of luck
Old 08-21-2017, 10:12 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi! First off not a good idea to crank or start a Genny while on shore power! Then if you can start with jumpers it's not fuses, gas or another problem. To start a genny needs power to its starter, sounds like your OK on that. I might look at ALL the power cables. Especially to the Genny & the ground wiring. You may have a cruddy power cable
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:29 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Sorry I can't offer any suggestions on the genny problem. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #5

Thanks everyone, I'll pull those cables off and give them a good cleaning and see if that helps.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:36 PM   #6

Just a little basic info. Most generator start switches are momentary contact switches in both top and bottom directions (assuming the switch is mounted vertically). In other words press the bottom portion of the switch to prime the pump (you'll hear the fuel pump). Then press the top portion of the switch to start the generator. Press the bottom portion a second time to stop the generator.

Unless you have a failed transfer switch it's perfectly OK to start and run the generator while connected to shore power.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:21 AM   #7

It is a vertical switch, and I do prime it prior to trying to start it. I hold it down until the light comes on, then press up to try and start it.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:43 AM   #8

HUGE thanks!!! Took off all the cables from the terminals on the batteries and the Genny, got a wire brush at 'em, and put them back on. The Genny started right up!!!! Not sure why I didn't think of that , so glad you all were here to help out!

Tags
generator, onan