Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question Onan 7.5 Gas won't run on hot days

I have recently purchased a 1996 Newmar Kountry Aire gas MH with an Onan Emerald 7.5 KW gen set. The Onan is located in the right front storage compartment, just to the right and just behind the Ford 460 engine. We have just had a very hot summer here in the midwest. If the temperature outside is over 100 degrees (F), when we need the roof air the most, and we are driving the coach, the Onan will run for about 20 minutes, then surge once or twice and then die. It will not restart until after the day and the coach have cooled down. Then it takes a LOT of cranking (I assume to refill the fuel lines) before it will start again. If you don't drive the coach, it does not fail, if the temperature is under 95 degrees, it does not fail. We have replaced the fuel pump, but that did not fix the problem. I have double checked and the summer/winter lever is on summer, and the altitude compensator is set correctly. I have traced the fuel line and I don't see where it is getting close to the engine or exhaust system. I am sure that I'm getting a heat-related vapor lock, but does anyone have any suggestions for corrective action?
ChuckinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #2

Maybe install a fuel pump back near the gas tank?
Old 09-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is possible that it is shutting down due to inverter over temp. Try opening the inverter compartment. Also check that the inverter fan is running.
There is a part for Onans that can be installed to prevent vapor lock. Cant remember the part number but it is installed on the carbeurator.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, onan