Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2016, 10:47 AM   #1

Onan 7000kw 30 sec run then stop

Purchased a used 1992 Holiday Rambler Imperial with a 7000kw Onan Marquis Generator. Had 900 hrs on it & ran well according to former owner. However after driving it home a few days later tried to start it & would not start. So filled the 75gal gas tank, filled the oil on the generator to full with HD 30 and been running like a champ for 3 weeks. 1hr to 6-8hrs/day with quick strong start up & smooth strong run every time. Then about a week ago it would start strong then 30 seconds later it would quit. Did multiple strong starts but after 30 seconds it would shut down. So began testing the 8 visible circuits on the board where power is sent to refrigerator, microwave, lights but detected no shorts in those circuits. Has 2 circuit breakers and when 1 of those circuit breakers is turned off the generator continues to run strong. Otherwise - start up, run 30 seconds then complete shutdown.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 11:00 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

When it shuts down, is it an immediate cutting of power or does the engine strain under load? If it sounds starved for gas, it could be the filter or the fuel pump, a special, low pressure pump Onan uses. I don't know if your generator has it, but newer Onan generators set a code that can be read by counting the blinking light at the generator panel.

How does power get switched into the RV? Do you have an ATS (automatic transfer switch) or do you have to physically plug it in? If a plug, you could try starting with it unplugged to see if it's an issue with the RV wiring or the generator. When running with the one circuit breaker off, do half the outlets work in the RV?

You need to search and download the appropriate manual for your generator. I don't know if this one covers your model or not.

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/ass...atormanual.pdf

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:01 PM   #3

Need correct URL. ass…????
Old 03-30-2016, 12:04 PM   #4

No blinking lights on this unit from all I can tell to determine problem via code.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:06 PM   #5

Immediate cutting of power, no straining under load.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #6

had that problem with my '98 brave and was fuel pump at fault.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:11 PM   #7

Power switched to RV dunno? One circuit breaker is 30amp, other is 20amp. Turned off 30amp Onan kept running. What circuits were being fed I could not determine. We did test all 8 circuits & found no shorts in ones we tested like to frig or lights or power converter.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #8

Check the oil ?

If low it will shut down.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:15 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would suggest that it is the fuel pump. Cheap and easy repair. Make sure you get the correct part number from the manual not just the number of the pump that is on it. I did that once and found out that a PO had installed the wrong pump. Get a new filter as well. With load, the generator has to increase RPM and the old or incorrect fuel pump can't keep up. If that does not solve, there is also an oil pressure/level sensor and a high temp sensor that can go bad but they are much less common.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:28 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysbabylon View Post
Need correct URL. ass…????
(http://www.)americanrvcompany.com/assets/images/hgjaabcOperatormanual.pdf

That was 'assets.'

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:42 PM   #11

If anything its too much oil. When it first did the shutdown thing - I pulled out HD 30 oil & added in dark so now oil is overfilled.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:47 PM   #12

Mine's a 5500, but it did the same thing. You get the pump and filter for around 50 bucks on Amazon. I replaced them last week. Check those fuel lines also. They get brittle down there. Hope you have small hands!
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:49 PM   #13

Found this thread.

What's wrong with my Genny? (Kind of long)
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:52 PM   #14

So far 7000kw generator is a long way from overload. Mostly some interior lights, refrigerator, microwave but no serious loading since I have been using it. No electric 1500kw heaters no 2500 kw air conditioners as far as I can determine very light electrical loads for past 3 weeks. Don't even have running water yet with accompanying water pump. Never use showers etc. So going from running 3 to 7 hrs/day with 7000kw generator and very light elec loads to running 30 seconds and quiting, then being able to start it up again immediately than run strong or typical as has for 3 weeks under minimal loading than in 30 seconds it stops abruptly seems strange.

Tags
onan