Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #1

Onan 7500 code 24

Hi All, I have a 02' Sahara Safari, 38',with a Roadmaster chassis, when doing my monthly generator exercize, I discovered that it would stop running at just under 5 minuets, checked the code (code 24), and it states that my "controller did not sense a temperature change during the first 5 minuets of operation", talked to cummins nw service and they think I need to replace the coolant temperature sending unit( a bargain at 17.00 plus change), just pop the top off the generator and access the unit and replace it. Now the problem, my onan 7500 quiet diesel HDKAJ, is not on a slide, no way to do this without dropping it or sliding it out,the local shop quoted me 3 hours of labor plus parts, I know I'm problay answering my own question, but, any Ideas? Am I going in the right direction, when I asked the fellow at the parts counter at Cummins, he said they sell alot of those units, I just hope it's not the controller board. Thanks in advance for any help. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Ed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ha. Have fun.
The diagnosis is probably right on.

Wherever you have the work done, make sure they know how they're going to get the generator out and back in and at what cost and give you a firm estimate before they start!

I had this same problem, but luckily it was the day before the warranty on the generator expired.
Unfortunately, if your Sahara is like the Endeavor(and I think in '02 they were identical), the 3 hours labor is a joke.
Cummins West in San Leandro did the repair on this, and it took them 6 hours to get the generator out of the rig. Problem is the bar across the bottom of the front cap - the generator needs to slide straight out, but the bar is in the way. HR wanted them to break the fiberglass that holds the bar in place so the bar would drop (taking the generator door with it) so a forklift could get in to the generator to take it out - but cummins couldn't do the fiberglass work to put it back together. Next idea was to cut that bar on each side, then when done weld it back together with a splice plate on either side for strength. Problem is, Cummins doesn't have the equipment to weld aluminum. Had to unbolt the generator door, push a forlift up to that bar, put a winch around the back of the generator and pull forward until it hit the bar, then put another winch from the bottom of the generator to the top of the forklift and lift until it clears the bar, pull forward, lift, etc until the front is resting on the forklift, then move the lifing strap to the back of the generator to take the weight when it cleared the rail in the RV. Repair took 20 minutes, including disassembly, testing, and reassembly time, replacement took another 2 hours.

Cummins/Onan only allowed 3 hours for the entire job. Cummins West (a great place) ate the rest as customer goodwill. Yes, they earned any future service work when I'm in their area as well as good words like this....