Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #1

Onan 7500 diesel Gen problem?

I,ve been having some trouble with my Gen set surging. I Also noticed my dc amps on my inverter remote panel was jumping from 50 up to 150 dc amps. I found one of the 3 coach batts was bad. Changed all 3 and it settled down. Now I still have this surge so I checked the outlet power and I am getting 91 to 109 vac swing. I turned off all main breakers to isolate any load on the Gen set. I opened to termination panel on the Gen and started it backup ,I measured voltage at the Gen and I,m still getting same low voltage reading. Could I have a bad regulator? Or something. I did plug house power in and checked voltage, power was good at 122vac. I did this to make sure my meter was good. Any one had this problem? Any advice is greatly appreciated

J

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
It sounds like you may have a controller problem. What is the fault code? If it's 13 it's the controller.

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #3

I had no fault code. Not even the secondary code. Now it did surge enough when I had the ac running to shut it,s self down. But no codes came up. I was running ac until I realized the voltage was low. Stopped that so I did,nt damage ac unit. I did have the Gen set in for service in may. Took it to cummins in fort worth,tx. I had lost the temp sensor on the engine which was causing it shut down on temp. Code 33. It turned out to be radiator. This surge problem started after I got it back. Go figure. They did say they load tested it after repair. I was told I was,nt running Gen correctly each month. I wasn't loading it up and running it for 2 hrs. Do you think I,m measuring voltage correctly?
Old 07-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #4

I know this sounds pretty basic but it sounds like a possible fuel problem,filter, pinched supply or return line. Or is the level in the mh tank close to the 1/4 tank level where the supply pick up stops? I think it sounds like a mech problem since no codes were set.If the unit was removed to fix the rad I would check the lines first.For what it is worth.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #5

If the RPMs of the engine are surging then it is probably a problem with the diesel engine.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:51 AM   #6

Thank you, I did replace the fuel filter. Lines looked ok from what I could see. Main fuel was at half a tank but still could not get a steady output voltage. 90vac to 111vac.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #7

Still sounds like a engine problem low rpm means low voltage could be fuel pump or injector or lots of other stuff. These desk diagnose problems are TUFF. Without hearing the engine or seeing it it is almost impossible to help. All you can do from a distance is recommend throwing parts and money at it.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77hmstd
Still sounds like a engine problem low rpm means low voltage could be fuel pump or injector or lots of other stuff. These desk diagnose problems are TUFF. Without hearing the engine or seeing it it is almost impossible to help. All you can do from a distance is recommend throwing parts and money at it.
Your right, I,ve got an appointment with cummins southerns plains in Arlington Texas.I spoke with their tech support. Could be inverter, .loose wire, stator, $$$$. .thank,s for all the input on this issue.
J

Tags
onan, diesel