Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #15
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I ran into the above "nightmare" scenario helping a friend change his QD 7500 temp sensor. He & I worked on it the better part of a day to get the old, seized and broken sensor out. Both of us are mechanically skilled, and had plenty of tools for the job, but it was still a challenge.

And sometimes the sensor isn't even accessible without yanking the genset. All depends on how the coach front end is set up, e.g. gen slide-out, large or small access panel, etc.
The Horizon and the Vectra of that year, both had slide-out generators. Having that option, sure makes ANY work/maintenance SERIOUSLY EASIER. But, like yours, that particular repair, even with the slide-out feature, gave me a ton of grief.

A short story. I attempted to get that sensor with the use of socket and ratchet but, NO GO. So, as you know, there's very limited room in there for alternate type tools. So, I figured what the heck, let's dismantle what I have to, to get better access to that sensor. Well, half-the-generator apart later, I put a long handled wrench on it and, as you can see, it broke the sensor. CRAP!

So, out comes the PIPE WRENCH. Still a no-go. So, I came up with this bright idea of "freezing" the sensor. Off to the store for a can of "Freeze". I used a propane torch for the area immediately surrounding that sensor and then, immediately cooled what was left of the sensor for only a few seconds.

I put my vice grips onto what was left, and, that stub, un-screwed right out. And you can see what was inside that cavity where the sensor lived.

Anyway, I cleaned out the threads, replaced the sensor, put the mess all back together and, uh-ohhhhhh, what's this, A MAJOR COOLANT LEAK!! I thought I'd securely tightened all the hose clamps thoroughly etc. Well, could not see where it was coming from but, it was pouring out.

Well, with the use of a mirror, I found it. What happened was, (and I hope the OP is reading this) when I was applying that much torque to the sensor, with all the various tools, I cracked the thermostat housing and, didn't know it.

So, most of that generator had to come back apart, including pulling the engine head, to gain access to that t-stat housing to remove it. I was going to TIG-Weld it up when, a new one could readily be had for a whopping $54.00. Back down to Cummins/Onan I went for that and, a head gasket.

All back together and, is running well. What a pain. All for a $17.00 sensor.

OP, do take care if and when you find out you need to replace that sensor.

2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2015, 03:32 PM   #16
Thanks for all the info. guys I have not had time to get to it yet. Will start with fuel and air filters I hope its not the overtemp. sensor that does not look like fun

djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:10 AM   #17
Just a shot in the dark. I've related this several times by my 7500QD on the last coach kept shutting down and throwing overheat codes. Not on a slide so it had to be dropped. I had EVERYTHING replaced so I would not have to continue to drop it. Didn't work. It would shut down if you loaded it heavy. Long story short after dropping and spending many hours & days testing it was a defective radiator cap. Wasn't holding the correct amount of pressure. I'll never know if that was in fact the original problem but it's cheap to try it. Good luck.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
2012 Nu Wa 363RSBDA
2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Duoglide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #18
Thanks Duoglide1 I am picking up a radiator cap as well not leaving for AZ for another month I have a little time

djay is offline   Reply With Quote