Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #1

Onan 7500 Quitting

I have an Onan 7500 with 240 hours on it. It starts missing then dies not all the time. It shows a 33 code. I am full of fuel.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2015, 01:17 PM   #2

Try and just wiggle the linkage to make sure that nothing is bound up. If the linkages are ok it could very well be the carb.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:23 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the 33 code is over temp you could have a bad sensor
Old 10-05-2015, 01:54 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Actually on most QD models a code 3 (three blinks then pause, three blinks) means there is a secondary code.

To access the seconday when it quits and flashes the 3, 3, 3, etc. momentarily push the stop button once. There will then be a secondary code displayed in the same manner, blinks and pauses. This will be the code that you can then look up in the owners manual for your specific genset.

Please make sure to use the correct service or owners manual for your exact genset as codes can be different from model to model.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If 33 is the secondary code (Following an initial code 3), then it is indeed High Coolant Temperature. You need to determine whether the coolant actually did overheat, or if the temperature sensor is defective. Check the radiator coolant level as the first step, but failing temp sensors is not all that uncommon on this model.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:23 PM   #6

Ok thanks for the info. Ill try that
Old 10-05-2015, 03:51 PM   #7

If you haven't changed the fuel filter on it, do so now. One thing I've learned with my Onan is always always always change the fuel filter every year. A partially clogged filter will exhibit symptoms like you're having. I keep a spare filter in the coach at all times also. Also check oil level and make sure it's correct.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #8

I will have a new fuel & air filter in the morn change both I agree it sounds like its not getting enough fuel
Thanks again
Old 10-05-2015, 07:19 PM   #9

Beware of a secondary fuel filter outside the gen follow the fuel line until you find a hard metal line. You may find an inline filter in between the gen and hard line.
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:27 PM   #10

We had a problem with our generator running fine and then stopping. Took it to Onan and couldn't find a problem. Others on the forum suggested adding a little oil. Turned out that was the problem. Generator would work fine until we took a curve and the oil level shifted. Guess a sensor noted low oil and shut it down.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same code with my last QD7500 at 9 yrs, 170hrs. It was the temp sensor. The place I took it to for repair said the temp sensor was the most frequent repair he did on Onan diesel generators.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #12

Djay,
I surely hope your situation/issue turns out a lot better than mine did. We also had the code: "33" on our 7.5QD and, I ran down the list in the trouble shooting manual for Onan and, all of the potential causes for "over heat" condition, were eliminated and, the problem persisted. I posted on here, and, many pointed me towards the temp sensor.

Well, extra long story short, yep, it was the sensor. But, there's a secondary story to the original one. That temp sensor can be really easy to remove and replace or, it can be one serious nightmare. In my case, it was the latter. To say the least, I was in for some serious work ahead of me but had no idea it was going to be that way. The temp sensor is cheap, about $17.00 if I recall but, it's getting it out that can be mind boggling.

Anyway, again, if your problem is the sensor, I hope your replacement of it, goes smoothly. Good luck.
Scott

P.S. Below are some pictures of my operation of the sensor removal. I'm linking these pics just so that "in case" you run into resistance if and when you put a wrench/socket on that sensor, you'll know what you're up against. Many on here have had no issue what so ever in removing theirs and replacing it. But some, have had the same problems I did. Good luck.

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I ran into the above "nightmare" scenario helping a friend change his QD 7500 temp sensor. He & I worked on it the better part of a day to get the old, seized and broken sensor out. Both of us are mechanically skilled, and had plenty of tools for the job, but it was still a challenge.

And sometimes the sensor isn't even accessible without yanking the genset. All depends on how the coach front end is set up, e.g. gen slide-out, large or small access panel, etc.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie65 View Post
Beware of a secondary fuel filter outside the gen follow the fuel line until you find a hard metal line. You may find an inline filter in between the gen and hard line.
The extra fuel filter seems to be something that only Tiffin added. Just spoke with Freightliner about it and they agree that Tiffin is the only manufacturer they are aware of who used the second filter.

Tags
onan