Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Onan Carburetor Plugged

I have an Onan Marquis Platenum 5500 gas generator on my Motorhome. If I dont start and run the generator for an hour or 2 ever couple of weeks it gums up the Carburetor and the dealer repair center has to put a new one it for a bunch of bucks.

I have heard that this is a problem with Onan gererators. I thought about gas treatment but for 80 gallons of gas that would require a bunch of treatment.

Has anyone put a gas shut off valve in line and let the generator run out of gas after shutting off. This works on some of my big honda spray engines it will probably work on this.

Appreciate any help

gorgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
Gary, someone is sh------g you up. I have 506 hours on my Onan, but it may need something. Oil changes with filter is all I do. Why dont you have to change anything on your engine? I do run mine for 20 min. once a month if it is not on the road, with a load on it for the windings. F9ind another mechanic.

fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
I had the oil changed and new filter put in but it still does not get gas. It was the carb, after the change it is fine. I have the old part.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I run Seafoam treatment thru our V10 about every 6 months or so. Since the Onan runs off the same tank it gets a shot too. I use stable also. I had carb problems with the Onan because it set for a good while and I didn't run it like I should. I didn't have to replace anything just a PITA to get the float unstuck. Now I have a PM schedule that I do once a month.
Steve & Cheryl w/3rd Crewmember Peanut, Our Deerhead Chiuaua
2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35U F53, V10 Gasser,Safe T Plus
2004 Wrangler Toad via Stowmaster 5000, BrakeBuddy Classic
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Before I started fulltiming I had problems with my Kohler genny and the gas going sour from sitting too long. When I got my MH the carb on the genny needed a rebuild since it had sat for 2 years without running. I rebuilt the carb and got it running but I was getting dirt from the tank.

What I did was install an inline fuel filter a few feet from the fuel pump. A few times a year, I take the fuel line off the filter and drop it into a one gallon gas can loaded with lots of Seafoam. I run the whole gallon of Seafoam heavy fuel and the generator runs great afterwards.

I have since cleaned the MH fuel tank.
1989 Barth Regal 25, P32 454
BonesBarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
Hi Gary, I had the same problem with my ONAN generator and a shut off valve to run the carb dry solved the problem. I think humid climates contribute to this problem. Hope this helps narrow it down.
Brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #7

Did you have any trouble priming it after it had run dry? I guess I can find a shutoff valve at one of auto parts or camper stores.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
Whoops forgot to thank you for responding
Old 03-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would like to help but I have a diesel and we have problems with algea if you don't run it enough
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP3569 330 CAT - Toad Jeep Liberty, DW is the Nagivator. Work to travel and everything revolves around the price of diesel.
rvjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Gary my 2003 Marquis Platinum was a fuel injected model. I was under the impression all Platinum models were EFI? Have you verified you have a carb.?

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #11
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Once a year I use 6 cans of Chevron fuel cleaner form Costco in my 75 gallon tank. While that mix is in there I run the generator for about an hour.

This last time I used 6 cans of Seafoam.

Yes it's expensive, however it does help because my Onan 5.5 runs great after 7 years.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote