Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2016, 06:38 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Onan circuit breaker issue

I have 35 Amp Onan 8000 diesel fired generator. I continues to pop the circuit breaker with small loads like a toaster or perhaps coffee maker. I've cut power at the panel to block heater and other non essential things. Assuming the breaker is just getting old (2003). Has anyone changed out the breaker and how hard is it to do. Can I only get a replacement breaker from Onan or are they generic?
KiheiKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 06:41 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
I bought my breaker for a 7500 Onan from PPL in Houston, give them a try. It was not hard to change and I believe there is a youtube video on how to do it.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:07 PM   #3

On my Onan 7.5kW quiet diesel, it's a double pole, single throw breaker that provides 35 amps on each leg. An overload on either leg will trip the breaker and open both circuits.

I haven't opened mine up to see if it has specific mounting requirements, so I can't answer your question. I just wanted to clarify - the generator puts out 35 amps on each of two circuits.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:14 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You can get a replacement breaker from Onan. Pricey, but it's the only one that fits. It's a twin 35A breaker, as Koop describes. I think about $80-$100, depending on the source.

It could conceivably be a bad breaker, but I would be checking the loads carefully before concluding that. The last thing you turned on in merely the straw that broke the camel's back. It's the total aggregate load on one leg that will cause a trip. You might also have a short circuit somewhere - that will always trip a breaker.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:20 PM   #5

I completed that job this morning. It is not hard, had to order the part from Cummins. It was 96 and change with tax and all.
One side had failed. I took it apart and found it to be full of rust.
Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craft View Post
I completed that job this morning. It is not hard, had to order the part from Cummins. It was 96 and change with tax and all.
One side had failed. I took it apart and found it to be full of rust.
I'm apprehensive digging into the generator as the schematic the parts store sent me is not reflective of mine. We are on the road dry camping for two weeks and if I get it torn apart and have an issue I'm screwed. I sent the parts store a photo of my panel but they have not replied. Would be nice to repair as I have 4 grandkids with us and really need the electrical capacity. Craft, if you want to compare panels you can email me at KiheiKen@hotmail.com and I'll send you a photo of my specific panel and circuit breaker switch.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:49 PM   #7

Thanks for the input from everyone. I bought a breaker from Cummins ($110) and 45 screws and 4 hours later I had it replaced and working. If all the gymnasts hadn't been in Rio competing in the Olympics I might have tried hiring one to contort and flex to get to the screws in the rear of the generator cover.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:12 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If all the gymnasts hadn't been in Rio competing in the Olympics I might have tried hiring one to contort and flex to get to the screws in the rear of the generator cover.
Ain't that the truth! Onan designs their gensets to be repaired only on a workbench, or maybe mounted on a concrete slab in an open yard.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circuit breaker, onan