Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Onan dielsel generator surging issue

Hello, I have an onan dielsel generator in my 2007 Fleetwood Revolution and the generator idles fine however when I turn on one of the air conditioners, the generator screams out of control - it revs very very high. I tried the second air conditioning unit and it does the same thing. Any idea what this could be caused from? Thank you
khubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #2

If the air conditioner works when powered up the problem could be the carb adjustment screw or the fuel filter. If the adjustment screw is too far in it will surge. If the fuel filter is ready to be changed it will starve for fuel
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
It's a diesel it has no carb. Maybe the govenor has a broken spring somewhere or the linkage needs adjustment. Jim
Old 08-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by khubbs View Post
Hello, I have an onan dielsel generator in my 2007 Fleetwood Revolution and the generator idles fine however when I turn on one of the air conditioners, the generator screams out of control - it revs very very high. I tried the second air conditioning unit and it does the same thing. Any idea what this could be caused from? Thank you
Is it a quiet diesel with the type of generator that runs at different speeds according to load ? If so, I suspect the control board has a fault. Careful with that one. You can fry all your stuff if it runs away. If it is a constant speed generator usually 1800 rpm then the governor is not responding to the increased load, also a dangerous one if the genset runs away. High cycles and voltage... Good luck. Seeya on the road.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by calhyatt View Post
Is it a quiet diesel with the type of generator that runs at different speeds according to load ? If so, I suspect the control board has a fault. Careful with that one. You can fry all your stuff if it runs away. If it is a constant speed generator usually 1800 rpm then the governor is not responding to the increased load, also a dangerous one if the genset runs away. High cycles and voltage... Good luck. Seeya on the road.
Different RPM's for different loads? Never heard of that one.
Generators run at 1800 RPM to produce 60 Hz. (1500 RPM for 50 Hz in Europe)
When the load is increased (like turning on another appliance such as the AC) the governor allows more fuel/air to enter the engine (no mater if it is Diesel or Gas) and produce more Horsepower and still maintaining 1800 RPM, 60 Hz at that given load. Turn on another appliance, and the governor allows still more air and fuel to accomodate the higher load and maintain 60 Hz. This continues until the load exceeds the rating of the generator (7 KW for example) and then the engine will slow down because it is overloaded and cannot produce enough HP to handle the load.
If the engine speeds up when you apply load, you have a governor problem and whether it is a mechanical or electronic governor, it needs some TLC by someone who knows what they are doing. Cummins dealer would be my first choice unless you know of an independant that is qualified and recomended.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45

When the load is increased (like turning on another appliance such as the AC) the governor allows more fuel/air to enter the engine (no mater if it is Diesel or Gas) and produce more Horsepower and still maintaining 1800 RPM, 60 Hz at that given load. Turn on another appliance, and the governor allows still more air and fuel to accomodate the higher load and maintain 60 Hz. This continues until the load exceeds the rating of the generator (7 KW for example) and then the engine will slow down because it is overloaded and cannot produce enough HP to handle the load.
If the engine speeds up when you apply load, you have a governor problem and whether it is a mechanical or electronic governor, it needs some TLC by someone who knows what they are doing. Cummins dealer would be my first choice unless you know of an independant that is qualified and recomended.
Dennis that doesn't sound right. These onan quiet diesel generators are the inverter type and they do speed up and slow down based on load.

Unless I'm missing something I'm pretty sure that's how they work. I heard that there are some power tech and other diesel generators that run at a constant rpm.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I own a Powertech and it is a constant speed (1800) rpm generator. I am quite sure their are inverter type gen sets that vary speed according to load. I spoke about both in my response to this threads author in order to help him understand the possible causes of his apparant run away condition.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Take a look at the Onan Quiet diesel specs and you will see variable speed diesels. 8.0 KW 6.0 KW RV models.

I too have a constant speed (1800) rmp Powertech but I think the author of this thread may have on of the hybrid inverter type diesels.

Take care sir.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
My sincere appologies. That's what I get for not paying attention.

http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/html/...ets/a-1408.pdf

My statement about a "Qualified Tech" is still valid. I have serviced many generators from 2KW to 1500KW and if I ran across this one I think I would respectfully decline until I did my homework.

Tags
generator, onan