Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
Where are you in Orlando that you don't want to drive to Cummins? I had them work on mine last year and they did good work at a fair price.

If you are on the west side, Independence RV on Route 50 services Onan, but if it requires dropping the genset, like on my Journey, they will refer you to Cummins who have the proper equipment to do that.

Good luck with it.
As stated earlier am a vendor at a motorcycle rally in Kissmime (sp?) Can't leave to bring the MH to them and we leave Sunday for some RR in Cedar Key. We'll have hook ups there and I don't want to waste time sitting at a repair facility waiting for someone to fix our gen so I guess I'll wait until we get home.

nplenzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick View Post
As stated earlier am a vendor at a motorcycle rally in Kissmime (sp?) Can't leave to bring the MH to them and we leave Sunday for some RR in Cedar Key. We'll have hook ups there and I don't want to waste time sitting at a repair facility waiting for someone to fix our gen so I guess I'll wait until we get home.

I have a Marquis 5500 gas generator. This past summer I have issues with it while on vacation out west. I made an appointment at a Rocky Mountain Cummins Service center, brought the motor home in, they removed the generator to work on it and we took the motor home and headed to the RV park. They called when the generator was ready to be reinstalled. Takes less than an hour to uninstall or reinstall the generator. If you need to get it running before next month, this may be a possible solution for you.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpr_vbg View Post
I have a Marquis 5500 gas generator. This past summer I have issues with it while on vacation out west. I made an appointment at a Rocky Mountain Cummins Service center, brought the motor home in, they removed the generator to work on it and we took the motor home and headed to the RV park. They called when the generator was ready to be reinstalled. Takes less than an hour to uninstall or reinstall the generator. If you need to get it running before next month, this may be a possible solution for you.
That could have been an idea earlier this week but I really don't need the gen to run until the end of April so it can wait until I get home. I'm also not sure how smart it would be to run a DP over the road without that 1000 lbs in the front especially when towing a 7K trailer.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick

This is a diesel, no spark arrestor and the engine does not crank. It does show a code when you press to start ( one flash) which says the gen is overheated. I do have a manual, and I have checked the fuses however when I read it last night it says there's three, I only found two. When I get a chance I'll take another look.
I thought there are two steps for the code. On mine the first blink meant something and then if you hit stop there is a secondary set of blinks. You add them up to get the number which is the error code. For some reason I thought 16 was the error code on my quite diesel. I had that happen a few months back when I tried running it with the cover off. Are you sure your error code is 1?
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by crah View Post
I thought there are two steps for the code. On mine the first blink meant something and then if you hit stop there is a secondary set of blinks. You add them up to get the number which is the error code. For some reason I thought 16 was the error code on my quite diesel. I had that happen a few months back when I tried running it with the cover off. Are you sure your error code is 1?
At least on my genset you press the start switch for code. Pressing the off will only turn it off and if you hold it down prime the fuel filter.
I have finally found a "real diesel gen tech ". He's ask for the serial and model number to see what that 1 flash code would mean and to see if it's worth coming out to try to fix while in the coach. This will be my last try in this state.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick
At least on my genset you press the start switch for code. Pressing the off will only turn it off and if you hold it down prime the fuel filter.
I have finally found a "real diesel gen tech ". He's ask for the serial and model number to see what that 1 flash code would mean and to see if it's worth coming out to try to fix while in the coach. This will be my last try in this state.
There are two scenerios here. 1 is if the generator is running and shuts off automatically due to an error. When it shuts off there will be a blinking code that repeats. While its blinking you hit the off button and another set of codes repeat. For you case you are getting a blink code without it starting. That blink code should repeat and be in some type of pattern of 1 to 3. If you are getting just one blink that repeats hit the off on the button and you should get a second set of blinks that repeat. Your first set of blinks is the first digit of the error code and the second set of blinks when you hit the off button is the second code. If first set is 1 and the second set is 6 that would mean 16 and then you look in the manual to see what that means. Only a 1 doesn't seam right but I may be wrong. Can you double check the process I mentioned above?
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #35

The motorhome is now a the Cummins dealer in Bristol, Pa. They informed me that they have to pull the genset out to find the problem as they have done all the can do with it in the coach. I'll keep all informed.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #36

Not happy one bit, Cummins is telling me that the genset needs an inverter. $3600 est. They have taken it out of the MH and still can not get it started, all of their diagnostics are pointing to the inverter.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Interesting. I am surprised that the electrical power output would affect starting, but I am no expert. Is there a Cummins/Onan hotline you could call for a consult?

It is starting to get expensive enough to warrant replacement over repair, but I know you do not want to hear that. I hope you can get this resolved at a reasonable cost.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #38

SVTotem - I live off grid and was surprised when my 12KW home generator (not an Onan) would start then immediately stop. The repair shop said the 120/240 current was not correct and the "little board" would not let it run. I presume the newer generators have some type of safety control in the board that is supposed to prevent more serious damage. That's just my guess.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #39

Genset

Hi there,

We too have had trouble with our genset. The good thing about these gensets is that they have a computer that won't let them run if there is something wrong. The problem is that they won't run when you need them. The first time we had trouble with ours it was brand new and there were bare wires in the run windings in the motor itself. After staying in the service bay at Lazy Days for a week, we were sent to the Onan experts in Lakeland, Florida. They found and fixed it.

Second time, we had similar event to yours, we were in 100 degree heat in Alabama and we blew the belt on the fan. Almost cooked our poor cat. You can't get to it and you can't pull our generator without a forklift. So, it could be something as simple as that belt but you can't see it to get to it because the housing door is on the side. Look in the oil access door in the bottom and see if you find pieces of the belt. If you can get to the access door to the fan you can check it that way. Again, we found that Onan service centers are your best bet.

Food for thought....I know we always appreciate any input, these forums are so helpful.

Jim & Deb Stephenson and Bizzie Kitty and Ms. Moxy
Old 04-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #40

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our 8Kw Power Tech waits two min after starting, if the output is low it shuts down. First time it shut down I fond that the stator needed flashing. Easy enough to do, just apply 12V to a fitting in the control box on the gen set. Next time it was one side of the output circuit had blown the breaker.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
Interesting. I am surprised that the electrical power output would affect starting, but I am no expert. Is there a Cummins/Onan hotline you could call for a consult?

It is starting to get expensive enough to warrant replacement over repair, but I know you do not want to hear that. I hope you can get this resolved at a reasonable cost.
A new genset is around 8K so we're close to half of that. I can find no hot line number for Onan. The Cummins dealership is the authorized Onan dealer for my area.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1aeroeditor View Post
Hi there,

We too have had trouble with our genset. The good thing about these gensets is that they have a computer that won't let them run if there is something wrong. The problem is that they won't run when you need them. The first time we had trouble with ours it was brand new and there were bare wires in the run windings in the motor itself. After staying in the service bay at Lazy Days for a week, we were sent to the Onan experts in Lakeland, Florida. They found and fixed it.

Second time, we had similar event to yours, we were in 100 degree heat in Alabama and we blew the belt on the fan. Almost cooked our poor cat. You can't get to it and you can't pull our generator without a forklift. So, it could be something as simple as that belt but you can't see it to get to it because the housing door is on the side. Look in the oil access door in the bottom and see if you find pieces of the belt. If you can get to the access door to the fan you can check it that way. Again, we found that Onan service centers are your best bet.

Food for thought....I know we always appreciate any input, these forums are so helpful.

Jim & Deb Stephenson and Bizzie Kitty and Ms. Moxy
Belt was in place however since they have things apart I told them to replace it.

Tags
diesel, onan