Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2012, 04:06 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick View Post
Not happy one bit, Cummins is telling me that the genset needs an inverter. $3600 est. They have taken it out of the MH and still can not get it started, all of their diagnostics are pointing to the inverter.
So is this a control board inside the Onan 7.5KW generator that is called an inverter? What is its function and how does it work? What caused it to malfunction?

Maybe too many questions but if it were my generator, I would want to know. These units normally last thousands of hours before major overhaul is needed. What happen to this one to cause such an expensive premature failure?

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #44

Quote:
Not happy one bit, Cummins is telling me that the genset needs an inverter. $3600 est. They have taken it out of the MH and still can not get it started, all of their diagnostics are pointing to the inverter.
Does this shop have a good reputation and verifiable experience with this gen set?

At the very least, I would want assurance that this part will fix the problem - permanently. If it's installed, and it still doesn't start, what then? Will they remove it, re-install the original, and credit you the full price of it? This smacks of using the "keep throwing parts at it until it's fixed" method of repair vs. solid troubleshooting processes following a logical sequence.

Personally, I would want to know more about the diagnostics used to arrive at the decision to replace this part - but that's me, with a solid mechanical/electrical background. Despite the fact I know none of the specifics regarding this gen set, I would still likely be able to detect BS used in any explanation immediately?

Old 04-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #45

A little late for this but:
1) If you initially get either the 1 (shut down due to high temperature) or 3 (shutdown due to some other abnormal condition) fault code, then you are supposed to press the stop button again in order to bring up the Secondary Fault Code. I never saw a post where you did that. Did the Onan repair place indicate what the second level code was?

2) On the 7.5HDKAJ QD Generator, the Controller/Inverter assembly is all one "black box". Controls engine operation and regulates the voltage. That is why it is so expensive.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
A little late for this but:
1) If you initially get either the 1 (shut down due to high temperature) or 3 (shutdown due to some other abnormal condition) fault code, then you are supposed to press the stop button again in order to bring up the Secondary Fault Code. I never saw a post where you did that. Did the Onan repair place indicate what the second level code was?

2) On the 7.5HDKAJ QD Generator, the Controller/Inverter assembly is all one "black box". Controls engine operation and regulates the voltage. That is why it is so expensive.

Dave
Yes I did try that and got no codes, so did the the repair facility and they got the same results.
As a response to the other two posts above yours, this repair facility is THE facility for Onan in my area which is SE PA. The next closest one would be a 100 miles away in Harrisburg, Pa. The tech who is working on the genset is Onan factory trained. When I got back to my home base I called around to see who else could help me with this. My local RV dealer suggested I call the person who handles their genset repairs which is what I did. He was a great guy to talk to on the phone, his opinion was that I checked everything that he could have checked and it would be a waist of time and money for him to take a look at as he doesn't have the means of pulling this genset out of the MH. His suggestion was to take it to Cummins in Bristol Pa. which is what I did. I made it quit clear to the service writer that I was dismayed at the price but I have done enough work on various motors ( many being race motors) to know that sometimes you just can't pin point the problem and you must go with your best guess. The genset has about 1700 hours.
As pointed out earlier this coach is my work truck, it's rarely used for recreational purposes. If I was retired I guess I could shop around for a few months and maybe even pull it myself and try to fix it but I simply just don't have the time and I need this done before the next show I do that's in a couple of weeks.
To be honest with you I'm getting pretty fed up with this RV, this will make it over $40K in repairs in the 4 1/2 years I have owned it. I think I could do much better with a Toy hauler of sorts and my pickup truck. I suspect this will be my last year of ownership of a class A.
nplenzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #47

I just got a call from Cummins. Apparently it was the inverter. They have bench tested the genset and it now runs and performs as it should. I should be able to pick up the MH tomorrow. I did ask the service manager what makes these inverters go bad. His response was " outside of running in a very wet area such as going through a flood, they just go bad". He also stated that this is not a common problem, but it wasn't that uncommon either and that I did nothing that could have caused this failure. It showed no signs of moisture problems.
I thought this generator was the one bullet proof item in this motorhome, I guess I was wrong. Pretty disappointing.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:43 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I thought this generator was the one bullet proof item in this motor-home, I guess I was wrong. Pretty disappointing.
I am glad that it is now running and you will have power and A/C at your next show. At least you can write the repairs off to your business expense on next years taxes.

I agree, I also thought that it was a bullet proof device that usually goes 20,000 hours before needing a rebuild. $hit happens!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #49

Glad you got your genset repaired.
Here is some info for others if your genset acts up. Mine, Onan 10,000 kva Quiet Diesel, would not crank, I did all of the checks mentioned here to no avail. Finally, emailed Justanswers.com and received detailed responses from a generator tech. He walked me through how to check the 3 relays under the top cover of the unit. One of them had failed, so for $40 plus parts he solved the problem. The relays are standard automotive relays that can be purchased at any parts store for $12 to $20 depending on the brand.

Al
2007 Travel Supreme Alante
Old 04-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #50

Al,
Having same problem with my Onan 12.5. I could only hope it is as simple as yours. Could you forward me the info that I might check mine?
jeff@tnciuka.com
Thanks, Jeff
2007 Travel Supreme Select Ltd.
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #51

Jeff, I sent you a personal email.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Al

I have a 7.5 quiet diesel, already had the inverter changed last year. This year coming back to FL from a trip, it ran fine one day, but now will not start. At the same time the gen set acted up, I also had problems with, I think, some bad diesel from a Shell station in lower Mich. The fuel guage would bounce up and down, sound the low fuel alarm, etc. After refueling, the fuel guage problem straightened itself out, but the genset still will not start. I have checked the 3 fuses by the radiator cap, changed the genset fuel filter, all the things I know how to do. But I am not sure what you meant by the relays on the top of the unit. Could you email me instructions as to how to find them, etc. Thanks, rswhandy@hotmail.com
Old 10-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Al,

Hope you are still checking this forum so I can get some more info about the relays atop your genset. I have an Onan 7.5 quiet diesel that will not start. Had an inverter put in last year, less than 50 hours later, the genset will not start. Had a bad diesel problem that I thought may have contributed to the genset problem, but have changed the genset fuel filter with no luck. Could you email me how to find the relays you spoke of on top of the genset. These aren't the 3 fuses by the radiator cap for the genset, are they? I checked the fuses and they are OK. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
rswhandy@hotmail.com
Old 10-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #54

Royce, I sent you a personal email. Al
Old 10-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #55

When mine wouldn't start it wouldn't do anything, wouldn't crank, fuel pump wouldn't buzz, it simply did nothing. The only fuses I know of are the ones by the radiator cap that you already checked. There maybe relays but I have no idea where their located and since my genset doesn't slide out I doubt I could get to them. If you replaced the fuel filter how did you purge it if you had no power to your unite. I'm hoping you don't have another bad inverter.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
By purge, what do you mean? I have power to the unit, and it tries to start, just seems like it isn't getting diesel. I will try taking the fuel filter off and filling it with diesel. I thought by holding the switch down a few minutes was supposed to "choke" the unit.

Tags
diesel, onan