Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #57

Al_Mers.......did you check your PM's???

'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
2013 Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #58
Originally Posted by royce999 View Post
By purge, what do you mean? I have power to the unit, and it tries to start, just seems like it isn't getting diesel. I will try taking the fuel filter off and filling it with diesel. I thought by holding the switch down a few minutes was supposed to "choke" the unit.

Ours won't start when the outside temp is less than 50 degrees so I help it along with a shot of starter fluid (ether). The inverter control board that controls the glow plugs is inop and would cost $1400 bucks for a new one. I can use a lot of ether before I spend that much. Don't get carried away with the dosage, it's easy to blow something internally.

Denny, Connie & Shadow (former barn cat made good)
2000 Itasca Horizon, Cat 3126B, Freightliner Chassis
Martind4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #59
Originally Posted by royce999 View Post
By purge, what do you mean? I have power to the unit, and it tries to start, just seems like it isn't getting diesel. I will try taking the fuel filter off and filling it with diesel. I thought by holding the switch down a few minutes was supposed to "choke" the unit.
When I install a new fuel filter I hold the starter button in the off postion for about two minutes. When you first press it down it takes a few seconds for the fuel pump to start and it takes a few minutes for the pump to fill the filter. I haven't a clue how you could fill the fuel filter with fuel. Have you checked your oil level? Low oil could prevent it from starting.
2013 VRV 26FB Toy Hauler by Livin lite
2007 2500 Chevy Crew cab 6.0 gas
2007 BMW R1200RT
nplenzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #60
Follow up on the Onan relays. The Onan part number is 307-1886. The Tyco number on the relays I replaced is V23134-A1052-C643.
Here is the trouble shooting Sequence I followed.
Then you need to remove the top cover of the genset.
Above the air intake are 3 relays.

Find the one that has all the wiring marked K2XXXX

At that relay, test the wire at terminal number 30 for 12V - it should be present.

Next, jump 12V to terminal 85 and see if you hear the relay click.
If it does, test terminal 87a for 12V while the relay is activated - it should be hot.
al_mers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #61
Continuation of Onan troubleshooting

Step 2: If you hear the relay click from 30 to 85, but 87a is not hot, go to step 3.

Step 3:If the relay is activating when you apply 12V to pin 85, and there is voltage available at pin 30, then the problem is a bad relay.

You will need to replace it.

I hope this helps. It's all I know. Al
al_mers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #62
Monaco Owners Club
I had a problem with my Onan 7500 not starting. It turned over, and sometimes tried to start. I got a code 36, which says it is the fuel filter, or the air filter, and something else. I replaced the fuel filter, checked the air filter, etc, etc. Finally I pulled the diesel line that goes into the fuel pump, put my finger over the fuel pump stub, and barely got any suction when my wife pushed the prime button down. I had to use my dremel to ream out the hole to get the bolts holding the fuel pump in, but, after replacing the fuel pump, everything works fine. Make sure you really tighten the fuel line clamps.

2002 HR Endeavor
royce999 is offline   Reply With Quote

diesel, onan