Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Onan EC-30 problem

Have had our coach 2 years, going to Talladega for the races and decided to try out the auto setting on the generator. Problem is, we set the genset to auto, then hit enter, the genny tries to start, only cranks about 1/2 second, doesn't start, then kicks to manual. Have to hit auto and enter again to get it to start. But the setting always reverts back to manual. The batteries have a full charge, just can't keep the auto setting to stay on. Have called dealer and local cummins dealer, still waiting to get a call back from tech. Anyone had same problem?

Jbgrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
Sounds like your inverter may not be set to the auto starts liking.

2008 Mobile Suites RE3/2004 F450 Chassis Cab
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Entegra Owners Club
Read the manual. On mine I have to cycle the ignition switch before it will work.. Some others have a different safety measure.
dcphil_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
The operators panel can be used to determine why it did something like shutting down. See EC-30 manual for information (http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/m.../900-0541B.pdf)

Dave in Virginia
1978 Winnebago Chieftain
Dodge M400 - 440-3
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
I had that problem on a former coach, turns out the batteries were in the back and the long run did not produce enough of a punch for the auto gen start to work most of the time. IF it started on a very quick turn of the crank it would start, otherwise it would quit and kick back to manual start. New coach has batteries up front and it works like a charm. Some guys have run bigger cables to the batteries to solve this problem and seem to have very good results. All just my experience and opinion.
2015 Entegra
Cornerstone 45B
2014 Lincoln MKT
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

That's the same thing I went through. Our Allegro Bus has the batteries way in back and the EC-30 controls the 10KW generator, which is way at the front. The 2/0 cable wasn't adequate to crank the genset without a big voltage drop. It would crank manually with no problem (although a bit on the slow side) but the voltmeter would drop substantially. When the autostart was on, the EC30 would begin to crank it but the EC30 saw the low voltage and assumed that the batteries were too low so it aborts the autostart and kicks it into manual.

To correct this I added a designated battery up front just to crank the generator. I then connected a Trik-L-Start to allow the house charging system to maintain it's charge. Now the genset does not have a voltage drop, the EC30 is happy, and everything works as designed.

I just used your basic automotive cranking battery for this. The most time consuming was welding up a battery mounting plate to attach to the front frame rails.
Mark & Leann Quasius
2016 Cornerstone 45A
2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP (Sold)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
A real timely post. I have had previous posts on this topic and have been trying to get this fixed since September last year when onan replaced the EC 30. It started a couple of times only to revert back to its old ways. Sorry to hear that others have had the same problem but glad to hear that there are some fixes. Just got it back from a service location the past Thursday to have this fixed. The provider told me that onan tech rep came to his site and ultimately decided that it is a wiring problem and is a Winnebago problem. The mechanic at the providers location indicated just exactly what some posters here have stated. That is that the EC 30 is reading a false sense that the voltage is too low at the starter. He told me that he can fix it, but it would cost me about 8 hours at $90 per. Opted not to. I like the post about a starting battery dedicated to the genset. Does anyone have an idea though about why the auto start works as advertised when A/C thermostat calls for air?
Rusty and Katy
11 Tour 42QD, 07 Chevy Silverado LTZ 4X4
Mickleton, NJ
RBK394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:29 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Just a guess on my part but I'm thinking that possibly the EC-30 only queries the battery voltage when it's asked to start due to reaching the low battery voltage threshhold. Maybe it does not query the voltage during a start request triggered by the thermostat?

Again, just a guess on my part. I've never actually tested that to prove or disprove that theory.

Mark & Leann Quasius
2016 Cornerstone 45A
2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP (Sold)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote