RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2019, 08:31 PM   #1

Onan gen access door for oil/gas filters open

Yesterday when I went to change oil/filter on my Onan generator I found the access door hanging open. Upon examination I found that one of the finger/thumb clips had disappeared, so the door wouldn't stay closed. Never saw this before in 26 years of Class A ownership.

This ever happened to anyone else? and can that door be ordered by itself from either Onan or some other market?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2019, 08:57 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Allen....this should be it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Onan-Genuin...ss!93021!US!-1

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:07 PM   #3

Thanks Don. That door looks like the wrong size for mine. It should be about 4"wide by about 8-10 inches long with 2 finger latches you squeeze together with thumb and index finger to let the door swing down. Will have to crawl back under there and measure it exactly. That latch eBay shows for $9.99 might be a replacement but I can't tell for sure from the picture.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:26 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Allen....look at the link again it's for your missing latch. It's not the door, but the latch.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #5

I suppose all the latches are the same for the door covering the oil/fuel filter opening.

Got it taped shut for now, good old Duck Tape. Probably have to just order one and find out if it will work.

Got lots of time to do it since our summer and fall trips are both off due to lack of reservations. Waited till I was sure we'd be able to get out of the back yard from all the rain and found out everyone is camping. They could take care of us but we'd have to move twice in the 2 weeks we wanted, then in September out of 92 sites the only two left were the worst ones in the campground.

The new owner raised prices from $50 to $58, requires a 20% deposit actually charged on your credit card, and no refund if cancelled in less than 10 days (with a $20 cancellation fee).
The previous owner required a credit card but didn't charge anything to it unless for a no-show then just for one night, required a 3 day cancellation notice and no cancellation fee.
Maybe all campgrounds have gotten this strict and harsh.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quick replacement of door/latches.

We lost our latches. The door hund down and got damaged by a road hazzard. Cummins replaced it for less than $100. Door and all. Not the first one have seen.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #7

Luckly my door hung up on the generator exhaust pipe enough I didn't even notice it setting in the yard facing the kitchen window.

One of the latches was completely gone and the other one just didn't hold the door in place.

Tags
door, gas, onan