Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2017, 12:29 PM   #1

Onan gen emerald 1 genset rear bearing noise

How tough is this to replace? Rotor bearing it may be called the one on the right side of the gen and is part available?
Arricejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2017, 04:10 PM   #2

Not too bad a job. The rear cap of the generator has to be removed , sometimes it's a one piece unit containing the stator. A puller may be required to remove the bearing from the shaft . Sometimes the bearing comes out with the end cap/ stator. You can then just tap it out . Onan should have the part , if not a good bearing supply place should be able to get it.
The generator will have to be removed from the motorhome to get the job done.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
Not too bad a job. The rear cap of the generator has to be removed , sometimes it's a one piece unit containing the stator. A puller may be required to remove the bearing from the shaft . Sometimes the bearing comes out with the end cap/ stator. You can then just tap it out . Onan should have the part , if not a good bearing supply place should be able to get it.
The generator will have to be removed from the motorhome to get the job done.

Thanks a bunch I was quoted 350 for the job
Old 10-20-2017, 10:49 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you do the bearing change yourself work some rubber or cardboard between the rotor and stator to protect the stator if the rotor drops.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
If you do the bearing change yourself work some rubber or cardboard between the rotor and stator to protect the stator if the rotor drops.

I'm thinking I'm gonna let the professional handle it 300 is cheaper than damaging my unit last thing I wanna do is buy another generator for a 50.00 part
Old 10-21-2017, 04:48 AM   #6

Even though I'm a master mechanic I don't know much about theses I'm not ashamed to say it lol... I'm sure I could do it if I study it but I don't want to I rather work on a big block [emoji23]
Old 10-21-2017, 08:02 AM   #7

I think that's smart. I'm a good mechanic too, but for $350 to pull that puppy out, change bearing and then put back in...yeah I'll pay the money. The only thing I'd make sure of though, is I make an appointment, they already have the part, they work on it that day. Not one these, drop the MH off, and then come get it 2 weeks later.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:37 PM   #8

Not to second guess you but the brushes can make noise when worn.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperkids View Post
Not to second guess you but the brushes can make noise when worn.

Oh it's the bearing for sure
Old 10-22-2017, 05:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
I think that's smart. I'm a good mechanic too, but for $350 to pull that puppy out, change bearing and then put back in...yeah I'll pay the money. The only thing I'd make sure of though, is I make an appointment, they already have the part, they work on it that day. Not one these, drop the MH off, and then come get it 2 weeks later.

No I hv the part and I know the guy who does it
He's a onan Cummings contractor who does these every day he services my generator normally
Old 10-22-2017, 06:34 AM   #11

That's money well spent and with a qualified Onan mechanic. Should be easily done in a day .
Old 10-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
That's money well spent and with a qualified Onan mechanic. Should be easily done in a day .

Agreed I lucked out in this one I must say I'm going
With the pro appointment is tomorrow I'll keep you guys updated
Old 10-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #13

Also the guy doings the work is the same guy who got it running in the 1st place when I purchased the unit about 8 months ago it wouldn't start.. he put a new carb on it tuned it and it's been running great every since so i better keep my hands off it he even cleaned the brushes last time and when he opened it up he told me I had a very well cared for unit I just wish I known about the bearing then but hey!!
Old 10-22-2017, 05:43 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arricejr View Post
Also the guy doings the work is the same guy who got it running in the 1st place when I purchased the unit about 8 months ago it wouldn't start.. he put a new carb on it tuned it and it's been running great every since so i better keep my hands off it he even cleaned the brushes last time and when he opened it up he told me I had a very well cared for unit I just wish I known about the bearing then but hey!!
Would like to know how many hours are on the gen set?

Tags
noise, onan