Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #1

Onan gen experts ??

Do we have any Onan gen experts here in the class A forum ??.

I have a problem with mine cutting off, after running over a real ruff section of road.
Theres got to be a reason & what ever it is I need to correct it.
Thanks in advance, Neil

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 5500 Onan has trouble shooting codes. Does yours? When mine was cutting out it through a 36 code. The manual says to change air filter , spark plug and fuel filters or possible mechanical issue. Turned out to be a fuel pump.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #3

What's the model? Is it the same age as the RV?

Gas, diesel, or LP?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
In my case the generator (Onan 5500) would start but as soon as I let go of the switch it stopped. No codes at all. I took the front cover off there are 2 wires about 6" from the front where the wires broke off at the connector. I didn't have a wiring diagram for the generator but I assume these wires were from the RUN side of the switch. In my case it was easy to spot as the connectors were there but no wires attached. Fixed that and it ran fine.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are dozens of reasons for this to happen, from a loose wire to a bad ground. I would start with the simplest. If a fuel filter gets a lot of water in it, you can hit a bump and the water gets stirred up and clogs the filter. The install inst. on the generator call for a filter before the fuel pump. Only about 20% of the manuf. install a filter before the gen. fuel pump. Crawl under the coach and look for a fuel filter in the supply line. Most shops don't even know this filter exists and it never gets changed.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Might be gen experts, but dont think theres any gen psychics..
Old 07-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Might be gen experts, but dont think theres any gen psychics..
I tell you what, I'm almost to that point with this gen trying to figure it out.

I Know I'm suppose to have the model # & all ready for you folks, so here it is,
1998 Emerald 5.5BGMFA26105H.
We use the gen to run the a/c going down the road in hot weather.

It is realy crazy what is happening, we can be riding down the road for miles, can even have both a/c units running & everything is fine, but the instant a real hard bump in the road is hit, the gen will shut down.
I've tried it with the one front a/c working, the fridge on LP gas & only other thing on is the 12v converter & soon as a big bump, off it goes.

Now the other week during our SD trip, it cut off three different times while we were stopped for a short breaks.
I'm only guessing, that was from the high outside temps around 98* & the gen compartment getting so hot.
At one stop, about 5~10 minutes it cut off, so I got the temp gun & temps inside around the gen area were in the 190~200 range. The one cylinder head you can see, the temp on it was 210*.

Just thinking, could the fuel pump be vapor locking or just getting so hot it will lock up & then when cool start back working again ?.
If that is whats happening, its kinda weard, because it will shut down instantly like as if the switch was cut off.
A normal small engine, if it has a fuel problem, will have a flutter like hesitation before it shuts down, kinda giving you a warning before hand, but not this gen.

This RV, has no vent in the gen compartment door to provide cooling air from the outside, just pulls air from the underside, & normally when we are parked & have to run the gen, I have that door open & never had a running problem.
I believe it could run long enough parked & the door open, to empty the 79 gallon gas tank & never miss a beat.
Another odd thing, I've not done it but like two times, trying to get the next gas station to fill up, has been under 1/4 tank both times & gen has never even acted like it was going to cut off.

Now I know this sounds odd, but the 89 GBM we had before this 99 H/R, had a 6500 Onan & it would cut off when hitting a big bump in the road just like this one, so could it just be something about Onan gens we got to deal with.
Thanks Neil
Old 07-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had the same gen. in two MH's and over 82,000 bumpy miles it never cut out. As I mentioned above I recently replaced the fuel pump but even then it didn't cut out on bumpy roads.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I've had the same gen. in two MH's and over 82,000 bumpy miles it never cut out. As I mentioned above I recently replaced the fuel pump but even then it didn't cut out on bumpy roads.
Have you been on highways though, that felt like they were going to knock the cabinets off the walls the bumps were so ruff ??.

Our RV is an F53, so it has a truck like ride.
Neil
Old 07-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing

Have you been on highways though, that felt like they were going to knock the cabinets off the walls the bumps were so ruff ??.

Our RV is an F53, so it has a truck like ride.
Neil
Of course I have. I 40, I 70 ect ect ect.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Do you have a ATS (automatic transfer switch)? If so, bet its breaking contact on the bumps..

Or, the wiring to the control board from the STOP switch is grounding (it takes a ground signal to START and STOP)
Old 07-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #12

Yes, it does have the auto transfer switch best as I know.
I know if the rv is plugged up to shore power & then the gen is started up, a few seconds & it will switch to gen power & the meter will show a full 120V instead of the 110~150 on shore cord.

So, what your saying about the ground, you mean it could be loosing ground in the wiring somewhere & kills the gen engine ignition.
I understand on a Onan, the gen has to produce current before it will allow the ignition to work on the engine, so could it be the hard bumps are causing the gen to stop producing for a second or so & then the ignition goes out.

On the 89 GBM we had with 6500 Onan, I replaced the burshes, cleaned the armature where the brushes touched, replaced the control board & the regulator with one of the rebuildable ones from Flight Systems & still it would cut off after a hard bump.
If the roads were smooth from the east coast to the west, I believe either one of those gens would run the entire time, from one end to the other with out a problem.

Do the RVs or the gens have a shut down on them, like the gas flow shut down on cars & trucks in case of an accident. If it does, maybe that is shutting the gen down, but theres nothing to reset afterwards because it will start right back up.
Neil

Tags
onan