Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #1

Carolina Campers
Onan Gen Starter Question

I need to take my MH into the shop to get the starter gear replaced on my Onan Marquis 5000 generator (son-in-law kept his finger on the starter button too long ). I guess it varies from MH mfg to mfg, but in general does the genny need to be pulled to do this? I crawled under and took a look and it seems to me like pulling the genny wouldn't be necessary, but I'm not an RV tech. Just don't want a repair shop to shoot me any bull about having to remove the Onan to do the repair.

rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You need a generator tech, not an RV shop. Most Onan shops want to pull the generator to work on them and they have the equipment to do it easily, but each MH is different.

If you can see and touch the starter motor, why not do it yourself?

And are you sure its the motor? Not a typical failure point, no matter how long somebody holds the start key.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #3

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
You need a generator tech, not an RV shop. Most Onan shops want to pull the generator to work on them and they have the equipment to do it easily, but each MH is different.

If you can see and touch the starter motor, why not do it yourself?

And are you sure its the motor? Not a typical failure point, no matter how long somebody holds the start key.
I think the starter motor itself is OK, but I'm pretty sure the gear is stripped from the sound I'm hearing.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
It was easy to replace the starter on my NHM Marquis 6500 LP Onan. No need to pull the generator out.

Just wish that Onan sold the replacement "bendix" part of the starter because my starter motor was fine, just the engagement was bad.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
So,....what kind of "sound" are your hearing. It might be a simple change out of the relay which, if bad, will cause a clicking sound when ya try to start it up. There was one less expensive relay Onan used which has a notorious reputation for failing, and is an easy fix. DO take it to an Onan shop and you'll get er done correctly.

Steve
Old 07-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
Commercial Member

gen starter

if it looks like the starter is easy to get to, check out whether you are getting power to it. just use a 12v test light and go to the big post on the starter motor. if there is no power, work up the line to the relay, and finally to the back of the switch. that way, you are not just throwing parts at it. get a service manual. it has good picture s and diagrams. it will have a diagnostic procedure for the tests. there is no substitute for a service manual. if you can read, its not rocket science to check it out. remember your labor rate is $0.00.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #7

Carolina Campers
Thanks for all the tips. Starter itself is fine, the bendix is messed up. Went to Cummings and picked up the repair kit today, $45 for the kit.

Tags
onan