Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2015, 05:21 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Onan Generator

Just picked up my new to me 2015 Fleetwood Bounder 33C yesterday. All went well in the walkthru and tested all lights, faucets, generator, toilet, etc. Very thorough. All checked out. I get it home. Start packing it with my "stuff" and run the generator as I do not have appropriate shore power yet at house. Onan 5500 Generator kicks in fine and after about 2 minutes sputters and shuts down, I repeat this process (sfter prime) and it continues to do so however sometimes it will run fine for 10 minutes and then does the same sputtering to a stop.

Only was using lights and minimal power draw

When I picked it up it had less than 1/3 fuel and the I added to fill it up on way home with 89 fuel. Drove fine.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2015, 06:55 AM   #2

I would just take it back and let the dealer service dept help you out of the jam.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:03 AM   #3

New Horizons Owners Club
the onans are sensitive to overheating. make sure there is plenty of airflow into the cooling intake and cooling exhaust air areas. our coach mfg panned over the exhaust port, took us 18 months to figure out what the heck was going on. we removed the coach mfg installed pan, running great after that.
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:05 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fuel pump is most likely bad. Ours did the same thing when new, almost immediately. I carry a spare as I am on my third pump in two years. This one seems to be lasting. I have also seen folks pull the fuel line at the outlet of the pump and prime it a few seconds. Sometimes clearing some air from the line. After immediately reattaching it sometimes cures the problem.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgio View Post
...Onan 5500 Generator kicks in fine and after about 2 minutes sputters and shuts down, I repeat this process (sfter prime) and it continues to do so however sometimes it will run fine for 10 minutes and then does the same sputtering to a stop.
How many hours on the generator? It's possible the previous owner didn't run it regularly and there's old gas & varnish in the generator fuel system. Worst case, disassemble & clean the fuel system including replacing the fuel filter.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Fuel pump is most likely bad. Ours did the same thing when new, almost immediately. I carry a spare as I am on my third pump in two years. This one seems to be lasting. I have also seen folks pull the fuel line at the outlet of the pump and prime it a few seconds. Sometimes clearing some air from the line. After immediately reattaching it sometimes cures the problem.
I agree. I know a new genset should not have a faulty fuel pump, but I had your exact same symptoms and thought it was heat related-but replacing the pump fixed the problem.
Another cause of shutdown can be too much or too little oil. If over-filled it will foam up and shut down, so I would certainly double check the oil before taking it in for a new pump.
The good news is that you should be under warranty. Good luck.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #7

How much gas do you have in your tank? If at or near 1/4 the generator will shut off. Also, possibly clogged fuel filter although as young as your is it shouldn't be. Other option could be low oil level shutting engine down.
Visit Cummins Onan Generator Parts and Manuals - Direct from the Factory for manuals and troubleshooting guides.
bobsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:01 AM   #8
YC1

IF it is water cooled be sure to find the radiator cap to check the level. If a recent service was done it may have an air bubble and is overheating. Yours may have an indicator light that flashes after it fails. The flashing light is an error code.

My generator hose (brand new rv), had a loose connector on the fuel tank and the symptoms were quite strange.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I did check the oil. Good
It does seem to run hot in the compartment.

When I ran it this morning when it was cool out, it ran for over 30 minutes till it cut out. Then it cut out faster each time after. This would seem that it would not be a fuel pump issue and more of an overheating issue, correct?

No error messages on the panel.

I will be calling the dealer and bringing it down to them today, Glad they are only 5 miles away!

Thanks
Old 11-13-2015, 07:34 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the genset was run with less than one third of a tank of fuel you probably have air in the fuel line. It happened to me and what I had to do was keep on it until the air was gone and then it ran fine.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:36 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well if I had had hat last post I would have concluded that the air was out of the line. Sorry.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:54 AM   #12

You may want to do a search on this issue. How far is your generator from the fuel supply?
There are tons of posts of people having the same problem's including myself. There is a TSB (technical service bulletin) from Fleetwood on this problem. I chose to fix it myself but Fleetwood sent me all the parts.
After your warranty is up you may want to get a spare aux. pump>New Global Automotive Universal Fuel Pump Gas Diesel Carb Marine Motorhome | eBay
Old 11-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #13

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
we completely agree with mojo. we are also on our third fuel pump. first pump out of the box, Gen would not start. second pump cracked and leaked, also shut down when Gen became too hot. third pump also shut down when Gen got too hot. we removed the coach mfg installed pan covering the cooling exhaust, no more overheat or shutdowns. one clue, the fuel pump would start a clicking noise when we were entering overheat conditions. Onan finally told us that the pump was not getting fuel when it was clicking. coach mfg service told us the clicking was not a problem, we knew better but couldn't prove it. the theory was that the fuel was vaporizing ahead of the pump and therefore no fuel at the pump, then sputtering and finally shutdown.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #14

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgio View Post
It does seem to run hot in the compartment.

When I ran it this morning when it was cool out, it ran for over 30 minutes till it cut out. Then it cut out faster each time after. This would seem that it would not be a fuel pump issue and more of an overheating issue, correct?

No error messages on the panel.

Thanks
bob, that is exactly the way our 4kW Onan behaved before we removed the obstruction blocking the cooling exhaust port on the bottom of the genny.

Tags
generator, onan