Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Onan generator 5500 gold will not start.

08 winnebago adventurer, ford chassis 35-L.

I replaced the house batteries with recommended batteries and cleaned connections, but still loud clicking at gen set I have started engine and getting 14-15 volts .

generator
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I thought that the batteries were the fault because they are about 4 years old, due to the loud clicking when I hit start button, I'm looking for suggestions.

Thanks,Happy RVing, James
Old 11-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
TGR

I would call Onan, describe what you are experiencing, and ask for suggestions. They might be able to suggest something to check. You may also want to see if there is a local generator service facility that might be able to address the issue.

With the clicking noise I would start the RV engine, and then try to start the generator. Also check the battery connections, and the connections back at the generator.
TGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, I ran the MH engine while trying to start gen , I think that I cleaned the wire connections good I'm getting 14-15 A/C volts to generator seems like that when I press the start on generator the A/C voltage drops with my volt meter on it at generator, does anybody know if that starter has a Bendix ? Or a soleniod on started?, sounds like maybe the starter is not engaging .

Thanks, happy RVing, James
Old 11-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Best bet..

Onan Generators - SmokStak
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimooo View Post
Thanks, I ran the MH engine while trying to start gen , I think that I cleaned the wire connections good I'm getting 14-15 A/C volts to generator seems like that when I press the start on generator the A/C voltage drops with my volt meter on it at generator, does anybody know if that starter has a Bendix ? Or a soleniod on started?, sounds like maybe the starter is not engaging .

Thanks, happy RVing, James

It should be DC volts. check voltage at starter if above 13 then it is ok. Check the starter for a good ground. If both are ok then it is a starter or starter solenoid issue.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I will re- check all the wiring to gen set, I spoke to onan tech he said most likely wiring problem or soleniod on starter.

Thanks,happy RVing, James
Old 11-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #8

You have 3 grounds on that Gen. One in front of the Gen ,one on the back of the Gen and the one at the battery. Two of these are grounded to the frame. These would be the ones at the Gen. Check both the frame ends and the motor ends. I would bet that you have a loose ground
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you,trackman I will be sure to check all those grounds I did not check those yet.

Thanks,happy RVing,James
Old 11-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all the helpful info.

Update on generator won't start, I ran a jumper from chassis battery + to generator + and it started right up and I know that the ground was a good ground from chassis battery, so I started tracing + wire back from generator to chassis battery, I found the wire ran through 2 start relays and then to generator so I checked wire connectors and found a loose crimp on the connector + wire going through 2nd relay, so I re-crimped + wire and starts right up now.

Seems like the + wire going to generator would supply just enough D/C voltage to make soleniod to click and not enough amps to start it up.

Problem solved, again thanks,James