Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2016, 01:36 AM   #1

Onan generator cranks but wont start

Hi- I have a 1999 Hawkins that has an Onan generator that cranks over real strong but wont start. I filled the LP tank but it still wont start. Any ideas? Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2016, 01:41 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
It runs on LP? Did you run it out of LP and have you had it running before?

If the system was run out of LP, you may need to get the air out of the lines.

On my diesel Onan, you can prime the system by holding the switch in the opposite of start for one minute. Sorry, I don't know much about LP gen sets.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:41 AM   #3

I had an Onan LP genny in our 2006 WGO View. Really liked it because it was a lot cleaner than our current Onan gas genny.

No offense but did the tech turn off the LP at the tank when he/she filled it? I did that a few times and an expletive or two always jogged my memory. Also, as previously stated, clear the lines by turning on the gas cook top for a few minutes.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:03 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same issue with my on an lp gen. Ended up being a mud dobber built a nest in the lp regulator vent. The round pancake style regulator in the hose before the genset
Old 02-27-2016, 11:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbrowne View Post
I had the same issue with my on an lp gen. Ended up being a mud dobber built a nest in the lp regulator vent. The round pancake style regulator in the hose before the genset
Totally forgot about that. There's a rubber vent tube somewhere near the generator. WGO sent all View owners a mesh "condom" to cover it to stop critters from building nests in there. Seems they love LP. First, run a coat hanger up the tube to dislodge the nest and dead bugs, then use a piece of panty hose or window screen to cover the end.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starhead View Post
Hi- I have a 1999 Hawkins that has an Onan generator that cranks over real strong but wont start. I filled the LP tank but it still wont start. Any ideas? Thanks!
Starhead
This troubleshooting guide was helpful when diagnosing and fixing my
6.3 KW propane generator.
https://www.flightsystems.com/pdf/on...oing-guide.pdf
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 02-28-2016, 08:01 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
if you are getting spark and no fuel and have tried the above suggestions, either disassemble the regulator and clean or try a new regulator. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be black tar like residue from propane in the regulator. cleaned it up and no more problems
Old 02-28-2016, 09:29 PM   #8

Thank you!!!

I am very appreciative of all your responses and will give them all a try. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again!!!
Old 02-29-2016, 05:59 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The first thing I would do is take off the air cleaner, crank it over while squirting a small shot of starting fluid in the carb to see if it fires to see if it is indeed a fuel problem.

Then, if low pressure LP, clean regulator and carburetor.

If high pressure LP, clean carburetor.

I just went thru this with my propane high pressure LP generator. It was driving me mad. 240 bucks at an official Cummins/Onan didn't help much. I cleaned out the carb, which had quite a bit of oil in it from the additives in the propane. It fired right up after cleaning the carb with a can of cleaner. Be cautious taking it apart. There may be a diaphram that you do not want to damage.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:29 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
oil in propane

propane dealer told me that cheaper grades of propane have more of the black crud (oil) that's fine, I'll buy good propane..... right????? no way to tell except with a hydrometer and liquid propane, you gotta trust the guy you buy from.

Tags
generator, onan