Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #1

ONAN Generator Fuel Filter

Okay, I am going to change oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter in my 8KW diesel generator myself for the first time. I have crawled under the gen set and found the trap door to access the fuel and oil filters. I also noted that it will be easier to change oil filter with the fuel filter out of the way. My question is, how much fuel is going to leak out when I disconnect the fuel lines? I have a 2 gallon catch pan for the oil and was hoping that will be big enough to catch the fuel that leaks out also. Any help would be great.
johnsonk555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #2

I have just done mine 2 months ago and it was a 7500 diesel gen. I let my mh sit overnight just to let the pressure down some and when I pulled the fuel lines I got minimal fuel out. I'm sure two gallons will be enough not only for the oil but for the fuel also. If your system still has pressure I'm not sure how much will come out but I'm willing to bet that it is not 2gal. I put the filter on dry and when I was done and before I started the gen I pushed and held the stop button for a couple of times and let the fuel build up pressure to fill my filter. Hope this helps, and make sure you have a couple of rags to wipe your hands with and be careful not to cross thread the fittings. Kent
klcracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:53 AM   #3

Thanks for the info Kent. I know I will have a mess, but hope to control it as much as possible. Got my old coveralls and gloves ready and as soon as the temp gose down I am going to tackle this project.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
As Kent mentions not much fuel will come out but I suggest you have a couple of rags handy to soak up the fuel that misses the catch pan and you'll probably want to be able to wipe the fuel & oil from inside that compartment.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #5

Thanks Bob. I have a large piece of cardboard that I always lay down when changing oil on any of my equipment.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #6

On my previous MH with an 8K Onan, the manual was wrong. It showed a somewhat rectangular fuel filter. When I opened the trap door - it was cylindrical. Very easy and clean replacement with a WiX cross referenced by NAPA. I was expecting the worst. I clamped the inbound fuel line with a vise grips to prevent any fuel leakage. May also want to remove the exhaust blowout plug while you're down there gettin' dirty.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, generator, onan