Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2016, 07:43 AM   #1

Onan generator mystery

I have a 2000 Tiffin 40' Allegro Bus. I keep it at my parents house. I got a call from my sister last night saying the generator was on. I jumped in the truck and headed 20 miles across town with the RV keys to investigate. Sure enough, the generator was running. How can a generator start all by itself? There are two press and hold switches, one inside the rig, the other under the hood on the generator itself. The rig was locked and the hood was closed and the only way to open the hood is with the latch inside of the locked rig. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Perplexing!
CALICAMPERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 07:51 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You probably have auto start, which kicks in when your house batteries drop to a programmed voltage. Look in your owner's manual for how to turn it off. Sorry I don't have more detail.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:52 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Some gen-sets start themselves to keep the battery charged, got the manual you can set the gen-set controls.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:39 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Don't know what generator you have but the Onan 7500 will self start when one of the connectors gets damp. On mine it was large multi wire connector to the passenger side of the generator. Yep, real surprise when a generator that does not have an auto start function starts on its own.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:42 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Add to the above items, look real close at the top of the generator it's self where the start switch is. Several members have had cats or other animals climb up there the stepped on the start switch. Look for feet prints in the dirt.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Don't know what generator you have but the Onan 7500 will self start when one of the connectors gets damp. On mine it was large multi wire connector to the passenger side of the generator. Yep, real surprise when a generator that does not have an auto start function starts on its own.

Ciderdog is correct. This is a known issue with the 7.5 & 8 kW units. As he said the big connector on the side of the unit that contains the control wiring can get moisture & you get the phantom start.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #7

Thank you everyone! I will double check all of your suggestions and if I uncover anything, I will post back!
CALICAMPERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:41 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALICAMPERS View Post
Thank you everyone! I will double check all of your suggestions and if I uncover anything, I will post back!
I had a 99 DSDP with a 7.5 onan.....it would constantly start on its own..in a campground, going down the road,,,,,,it had gotten water inside and shorten the wires out....ended up cleaning contacts and sealing...then ran a bead of sealant over the gen where the black and green meet..solved the problem...Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan