Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #1

Onan generator problem

I have a 96 southwind with a 4KW Onan that until last month has done very well and been exercised and serviced regularly. The generator starts and runs well with a full load as long as the RV is sitting still. When I drive for only a short distance the generator stops and will not restart. In the Texas heat the a/c's are a must for comfortable travel. I have changed the fuel filter. oil filter, air filter and oil. The oil level is where it is supposed to be. I need help finding out why the gen set stops while moving. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
gbsdelrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

If it will start with starting fluid, you likely have a fuel delivery problem.

There's a couple of pdf's online for onan generator troubleshooting. I saw nothing that specifically addressed your issue though.

There was a guy with a similar problem (his would start back up). He posted on justanswer.com but he was unable to get an answer.

Hopefully someone else can be more helpful.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. It starts easily after it sits for a while. I am thinking it has something to do with the low oil pressure cut off. I may end up having to take it in for repair. Thanks,
gbsdelrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #4

Mine does the same thing & throws no codes. Newer model & 5.5k. Frustrating.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #5

Is it easy / cheap to change the oil pressure switch
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Our Onan did the same thing. Took it to Onan Service Center, it was a bad coil under the fly wheel. They put a new coil and it has worked great ever since. Of course it was the coil hard to get to, so there was some bench time. It would start just fine, but ran sluggish and would not stay running any length of time. When we did the monthly maintenance, this issue never showed up.
Loozycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to check the gas tank vent lines and the generator fuel pump. It almost sounds like trhe generator is starving for fuel and of course the coach engine will win out every time.
You did not mention if the generator will run ok under load with the engine running while parked with the slides in or with them out.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Did you check if its overheating while your driving?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
What about air being a factor? Sounds like you should try changing the air intake option. Air may be vortexing past the generator air intake. It works when you are still so it should work when you're moving. Change the elevation on the air to fuel mixture.

Tags
generator, onan