Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2014, 03:05 PM   #1

Onan Generator problem

Hi all its been a while since I logged in, I haven't used my onan generator in a while its model 5.5HGJAB-901C, It varnished up on the cutoff solenoid so I carb dipped it, cleaned the jets and so on. Most of the varnish was in the cutoff solenoid blocking the holes, it now starts and runs but dumps fuel like crazy into the intake and dies, when I unplug the solenoid it leans out again and runs like normal until the bowl goes empty. The float isnt stuck im not sure now what to do?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Buy another carb while you try to clean that one better? Onan says they are not repairable, and you are probably learning why. Still, you might get all the gunk out eventually, and then you will have a spare.

Sounds like a metering valve or port somewhere is still clogged. Did you soak it overnight, blow out with air, that sort of thing? You seem to know something about carbs, so presumably you have done a professional job already?

Dunno if this video will help or not:
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:31 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The float might not be stuck, but it sounds like the valve it is controlling is. The needle with the rubber tip is not sealing well allowing extra fuel into the carburetor bowl and overflowing.

The reason I say this is, I think the solenoid opens and closes the passage way to allow fuel to go into the carburetor then the float and valve take over controlling the fuel level in the bowl.

But I may be wrong.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalandon View Post
The float isn't stuck and I'm not sure now what to do?
Yes it is or the needle isn't seating. If a sharp rap with a screwdriver handle didn't stop the flooding, then pull it apart and check everything all over again. Flush the fuel line too before you reconnect it to the carb.

My personal opinion on the non-cleanable Onan carb is that the non-cleanable is regulatory for emissions reasons. I cleaned mine and I run the Onan 3 hours each day until spring and shore power arrives.
OldToolmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Kind of the same thing here,
But mine is a 6.5 Onan Gen Set.1982 model 290 hours. Ran fine one day and then this - it starts then rev's high/low then quits will start right back up and then the same. Raw gas just pouring down carb. Took it in to a Cummings/Onan Repair shop and they replaced points (pitted) and condenser also had to replace the 2 plugs because of fowling. Adjusted the carb (way of of adjustments). They also replaced the Breaker Assy-ign.
Parts $62.58
Labor $375.00 (took off 100 bucks because we didn't see eye to eye when we brought her in.)
We had removed the exhaust before we brought her in to get it to slide out far enough to get to carb along with installing a new Fuel Pump (thought that was the problem, Now I wonder if the old one is still good?) We also replaced the electric choke.
They re-installed the exhaust also.
She has sat since Nov 26th, Went out yesterday 15 above and she fired right off like within seconds Love when that happens. Ran her 30-45 minutes under full load purred like a kitten.
I hope this helps,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #6

Checked the float again its sealing no problem, im carb dipping it again and leaving it for a few days we'll see what happens thanks all for the feedback
here's the same generator the same
problem
http://youtu.be/CLLI359w2RM
dalandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:18 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
So for about $5.00, you can do what he did on the video. The C-4 is nothing more than carburetor cleaner available at any Auto parts store. I would try that first.

Or

http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcar...774-p-912.html
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #8

I fixed the problem, for some reason the altitude adj had been opened all the way causing excessive fuel to enter the carb. Im not exactly sure how many turns for the correct adj. But is about 1 1/4 from the closed position.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalandon View Post
I fixed the problem, for some reason the altitude adj had been opened all the way causing excessive fuel to enter the carb. Im not exactly sure how many turns for the correct adj. But is about 1 1/4 from the closed position.
My altitude adjusting cap broke when I took the carb apart for cleaning.

1 1/4 turns out is in the ball park as you already know. If you run in the idle stop screw to where the generator normally runs, then hold the throttle against the screw, against the pressure of the governor, you can screw the altitude adjustment (fuel mixture) in (lean) until the engine misfires or slows down a little and out until the engine slows down a little. Midway in between is where you want to be. Don't forget to set the idle stop screw back where it was.
OldToolmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan