Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2016, 02:52 PM   #1

Unhappy Onan Generator Problems

I have a 1993 Winnebago, which has been sitting for a couple of years, now my gen. won't start, I found that the fuel pump was not working, i changed that thinking that was all that was wrong, but it still won't start. Is it possible that from sitting so long the jets in the carb. are plugged up? or could it be something else. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 03:03 PM   #2

carb

i wouldd almost bet thats it. did you check for spark???

Jim

Old 07-18-2016, 03:39 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
What type of fuel does it use (diesel, propane, gasoline)?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is O'nan the Irish version of Onan?

Are you getting any kind of flashing light on the start switch? Usually if it cranks for a while and doesn't start it will give you a fault code, which may just be extended cranking, but worth a check.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalebuff View Post
I have a 1993 Winnebago, which has been sitting for a couple of years, now my gen. won't start, I found that the fuel pump was not working, i changed that thinking that was all that was wrong, but it still won't start. Is it possible that from sitting so long the jets in the carb. are plugged up? or could it be something else. Any help or suggestions appreciated.
The Onan uses a very small carb. It is easily stopped up. After removing the air filter, spray starting fluid in carb. If it runs, the carb. is the problem.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:42 PM   #6

It's a gas engine
Old 07-18-2016, 06:00 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalebuff View Post
It's a gas engine

The reason Onan tells us to run the genset at least once a month is to hopefully prevent the gas from evaporating and plugging the tiny jets with "varnish". I'm afraid you have no choice but to replace it because I don't think cleaning or rebuilding it is a viable solution.
You would think that given our infrequent use of our generators would justify having a fuel injected version, but I was told coach builders won't buy them because they cost more and require a slightly more complex installation for the return fuel line.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:30 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You mean replace the carb right, not the generator.........

I understood the reason Onan recommended running once a month had to do with the rotor and stator corroding on the gen side, not problems with the engine.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:45 PM   #9

My reading of generator operating manuals mentions both moisture in the genetator end and gas going bad in the carbs.

Since ethanol was added, the storage life of gas, has shortened.

I don't store my MH near where I boat, thru the winter, so I remove the fuel line, start it up and let it run until it stalls out. The generator end had to fend for itself.

I do the same with my Honda EU2000 and 9.8 Tohatsu outboard, when I store the boat for the summer.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:45 PM   #10

In all the small engines I've worked on... removing the float bowl will expose the main jet.. its a simple task to check the material in the bottom of the bowl and spraying any number of chemicals that will dissolve the varnish that has built up, and with installation will usually allow it to start and run...

In all my small engines I use Sta-bil either in the can before I pour it into the tank or as added to the tank directly...

I'm sure you'll end up pulling out the plug and cleaning it as well...

Hope this helps...
Old 07-18-2016, 10:01 PM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
The reason Onan tells us to run the genset at least once a month is to hopefully prevent the gas from evaporating and plugging the tiny jets with "varnish". I'm afraid you have no choice but to replace it because I don't think cleaning or rebuilding it is a viable solution.
You would think that given our infrequent use of our generators would justify having a fuel injected version, but I was told coach builders won't buy them because they cost more and require a slightly more complex installation for the return fuel line.
I agree about the varnish in the jets. I have installed a shut off valve in my fuel line. Before I park it for the winter I shut the valve off and run the Genset till it runs out of fuel. I have never had a problem doing that> i run all my small engines out of fuel before putting them away!
Old 07-18-2016, 10:04 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
You mean replace the carb right, not the generator.........

Yes, my comments were about the Carb.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:05 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What genset do you have?
I have manuals and parts lists for
Onan 5500 BGM NHM

These are in PDF form that I could send you.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:14 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
In all the small engines I've worked on... removing the float bowl will expose the main jet.. its a simple task to check the material in the bottom of the bowl and spraying any number of chemicals that will dissolve the varnish that has built up, and with installation will usually allow it to start and run...

In all my small engines I use Sta-bil either in the can before I pour it into the tank or as added to the tank directly...

I'm sure you'll end up pulling out the plug and cleaning it as well...

Hope this helps...
Well, we can certainly hope that will work, but I've never talked with an Onan rep or service tech who would recommend cleaning rather than replacement. With today's labor rates in excess of $100.00 per hour, they say it is cheaper to R&R, but perhaps it is also because they can make more $$$ selling new parts. As I posted earlier, fuel injected gas genset are available and would eliminate this problem, but I've never seen one in an RV.

Tags
ems, generator, onan, problems