Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #1

Onan generator question

I was told by the dealer that my coach has an auto generator start, in case shore power should go out. This panel is all I have and I can only figure out that the panel lets you set the Genny to come on at a certain time.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1397417663.462911.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	531.1 KB
ID:	60551

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
I was told by the dealer that my coach has an auto generator start, in case shore power should go out. This panel is all I have and I can only figure out that the panel lets you set the Genny to come on at a certain time.Attachment 60551
The control you have is the Onan EC-30. Here is the link to the manual that you can print out: http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/m.../900-0541B.pdf

This panel will let you set up your generator for automatic operation. This means it will monitor the batteries and start when they get low. It will also shut down automatically when they are charged. It also has quiet time programmed in. This feature blocks the autostart during certain hours.

I leave quiet time off, as I am always either in a rest area or walmart where quiet isn't the issue, or if I'm in a campground it's a power failure, and it's reasonable to run your generator periodically during an outage. I have medical equipment that i depend on so if there's an outage and my batteries run down, the generator is gonna run.

This is a great feature and makes owning a motor-home just that much better.

You should ask your dealer to set this up for you if you don't understand things like how many amp-hours your battery has. The only things I set are manual/auto and once in a great while I'll set quiet hours. Everything else is set perfectly and I don't change it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #3

Thanks, I will read the manual, my big concern is that if the power goes off in a camp grounds while my dogs are inside and I am gone.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2014, 08:17 PM   #4

I read the manual and and I thought I had everything set to have the generator start as soon as I lost power to the Coach. I went out and unplugged the coach and waited, nothing. I have re-read everything and I still can't get it to work, I guess I will have to go by camping world and see if they can show me how it works. I didnt buy the coach there , but i have purchased enough stuff there.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #5

The Auto-start will not come on when shore power is lost. That's not what it is for. It is designed to monitor the house batteries and start when the batteries have discharged down somewhere below 12 volts.

The batteries will run everything in the coach except the air conditioners.

Rich & Linda
Old 04-13-2014, 11:49 PM   #6

what do I need then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
The Auto-start will not come on when shore power is lost. That's not what it is for. It is designed to monitor the house batteries and start when the batteries have discharged down somewhere below 12 volts.

The batteries will run everything in the coach except the air conditioners.

Rich & Linda
So what do I need to assure that the generator will come on if the campground has a power outage? I must be assured that my air conditioner is on for my dogs.

Thanks
Tom
Old 04-14-2014, 07:18 AM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you wanted you could. With the A/C on, disconnect shore power and turn on a bunch of lights and everything 12 volt on the coach. When the batteries go below 12 volts or the set voltage you can see whether or not it starts. Use a volt meter to check the volts.

Your gen set would probably not start under the load of the A/C. Not sure how you A/C is controlled but if it was on when shore power goes off. It may not start up again
unless your there to reset the A/C thermostat.
I really am not sure if this will work for what you are trying to do. But you could try it.
I guess its best for the dogs to check this out.
But is shore power a real issue?
Old 04-14-2014, 07:43 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The AGS is designed to start the generator on a call for cooling from the thermostat for AC if the the thermostat has been wired to the unit. You will need to determine if it has by trying it. It will also respond to a drop in voltage on your house batteries. All of these are described in the Onan EC-30 manual that you should download and read. It also details installation and has test procedures. Not sure if there is one for the thermostat start or not. It appears to be a very simple panel but it is extremely feature rich which you will not appreciate without reading the manual. One tip - don't set the house battery voltage that it should start at too low as the house batteries are usually wired to start the generator and will need enough power to start the generator.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
My auto gen start also has a temperature setting. The auto gen will start if temp goes above the setting you select.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP View Post
My auto gen start also has a temperature setting. The auto gen will start if temp goes above the setting you select.

What kind do you have? Can you post a picture please of the control panel? I am willing to purchase a system that will work.
Thanks

Tom
Old 04-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
He likely has the EC-30W. This is a wireless model that is simple to install and operates wireless between the unit (which plugs into a 120v outlet) and the control module which attaches to the generator. Many (most) of the features on the EC-30 are missing but the "W" senses room temperature and will turn on the generator and AC/heat if the thermostat is on and the AC supply is lost. It will also turn on the generator if battery voltage drops.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:38 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I have had both the EC-30W on a previous coach and the EC-30 on my current coach and the EC-30 is better. If the EC-30 is installed for AC control, and I am sure it would be, then turn your thermostat to call for your AC to come on and with the EC-30 set for automatic operation it will start the generator and then the AC will cycle normally. When the AC is satisfied, thermostat turns off AC, the EC-30 will cycle the generator off and repeat this operation until you run out of fuel.
Give it a try,

Safe Travels,
David
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:58 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
If your system isn't setup to start the genny when the ac system wants to run, buy a cheap thermostat at home depot and connect it to the ac start input of the EC- 30. Set the ac temp slightly lower and let the genny cycle to cool the dogs till you get home.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
If your system isn't setup to start the genny when the ac system wants to run, buy a cheap thermostat at home depot and connect it to the ac start input of the EC- 30. Set the ac temp slightly lower than the new thermostat and then the genny will start if it gets too hot and let the ac cool the dogs till you get home.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
generator, onan