Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #1

Onan Generator waits on power

Sorry but I cannot figure out how to look up any past threads on this. When I start my Onan 7500 diesel I get no power until about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Is this normal?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
Yaj

Pond Piggies Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine does the same thing.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
Yes, very normal.
Part of the strategy of the electronics, in the control board, is to stabilize the engine speed before adding the load circuits. My Gas Onan does the same thing, but sometimes, I think it should be a little longer.
K.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:18 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
yes, my Onan diesel takes about 2 minutes 10 seconds from start to powering up the electronics.

Ditto, on shore power.

According to the manual, this is suppose to happen.
2006 Allure 430 #31437 (Cummins 400HP Engine), 2000 Tahoe Z71 Toad, Sanger V210 Ski Boat. Lifetime Good Sam Member, Lifetime NRA Member, US Army Vet
dean0283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:59 AM   #5

Mine's that way even when I use my Yamaha i2000. It's built into the transfer switch. It was also built into the auto transfer switch I installed in my 5er, but it had a switch to select delay or no delay.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #6

Hey Mike,yep normal. You also need to check that there is no "Load" on the generator when you start it. That is you don't have the coffee pot plugged in, or a space heater set to go on.

Same thing when you shut it down, take all the load off it that you can and let it run a couple of minutes with no load then shut it down.

One problem I had with my 7.5KW diesel was the terminal block under an access cover front left as you are looking at the front of the genset. Remove the two screws and look at the terminal block. Mine was covered in corrosion, like a battery that had really been neglected.

What mine would do is, the genset would run but no power to the coach. I cleaned the terminal block, removed each wire, they are captured by a screw, first I took a pic with the cell phone of the wires. Then removed each and the terminal block and gave it a really good cleaning with small wire brush. Hooked it up and sprayed it with a battery cleaner/corrosion preventer.

Fired up the genset and WOOHOO Full power to the coach.

So anyhoo, something to keep an eye on.
Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #7

Gen Power

Thanks for the info I shall check for corrosion as you explained.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeekid View Post
Hey Mike,yep normal. You also need to check that there is no "Load" on the generator when you start it. That is you don't have the coffee pot plugged in, or a space heater set to go on.

Same thing when you shut it down, take all the load off it that you can and let it run a couple of minutes with no load then shut it down.

One problem I had with my 7.5KW diesel was the terminal block under an access cover front left as you are looking at the front of the genset. Remove the two screws and look at the terminal block. Mine was covered in corrosion, like a battery that had really been neglected.

What mine would do is, the genset would run but no power to the coach. I cleaned the terminal block, removed each wire, they are captured by a screw, first I took a pic with the cell phone of the wires. Then removed each and the terminal block and gave it a really good cleaning with small wire brush. Hooked it up and sprayed it with a battery cleaner/corrosion preventer.

Fired up the genset and WOOHOO Full power to the coach.

So anyhoo, something to keep an eye on.
Happy Trails
Jim
Old 02-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #8

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum! I agree, mine takes a few to power up as well. Next question.......LOL
Old 02-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean0283 View Post
yes, my Onan diesel takes about 2 minutes 10 seconds from start to powering up the electronics.

Ditto, on shore power.

According to the manual, this is suppose to happen.
You need to read your owners manual. You will find that your coach has a built in surge guard and it has a 2 minute+ time delay before power is applied to the coach either by shore power or generator. During that delay, the surge guard is checking for proper voltage, proper grounding, etc. before power is allowed to the coach.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:32 AM   #10

In that amount of time, a person could die from too much blood in the caffeine system.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #11

If you cannot find in your Onan QD7500 owners manual that you must remove all load before starting it or shutting it off you can assume chaffeekid's information in that regard is wrong. I have the same generator and it is not mentioned in my manual. There is no load on it when you start it. That is what the delay is all about.

Jim

Tags
generator, onan, power