Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2015, 06:15 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
The fan is right next (to the RIGHT) to the fuel pump you installed.
Installing the door vent brings sealed cool air directly to the air intake of the generator forcing hot air out the bottom.
When you say "door vent" are you referring to the generator door or the coach compartment door?

My 2015 ACE 29.3, 4 kw generator runs very hot. So hot the generator cover levers are almost too hot to open with bare hand. Would like to give the generator some additional cooling ability if possible.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2015, 10:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
When you say "door vent" are you referring to the generator door or the coach compartment door?

My 2015 ACE 29.3, 4 kw generator runs very hot. So hot the generator cover levers are almost too hot to open with bare hand. Would like to give the generator some additional cooling ability if possible.
I added a sealed coach compartment door vent that's directly in front of the generators intake vent. I'll post pics in a few days after we get home. The gen. ran ok in 115 deg heat today while traveling from Las Vegas to St. George UT.
We traveled the same path last year and the gen. overheated without the outside vent.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:20 PM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
The problem sort of came back this weekend. Seems the generator just doesn't like to share fuel with the gas engine. About 30 minutes into driving it shuts off and I have to let it cool, prime the line, then it will run again just fine.

Any ideas?

TIA
I just went through the same thing mine was the fuel pump it would quit when it got hot then after it cooled it would work again. Got a replacement from Amazon for $40.00
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:08 AM   #32

Quote:
I added a sealed coach compartment door vent that's directly in front of the generators intake vent. I'll post pics in a few days after we get home. The gen. ran ok in 115 deg heat today while traveling from Las Vegas to St. George UT.
We traveled the same path last year and the gen. overheated without the outside vent.
Thank you, I'll keep an eye out for your post.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
Thank you, I'll keep an eye out for your post.
Some photos in this link.

Generator clicking noise
Old 06-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
I had similar problems. Started using synthetic oil, always make sure oil is at full(not over). Check air filter often, replace fuel filter and clean and check plugs gap often. It's all about maintenance, usually. I change oil and filter when oil is dirty, but no longer than 100 hrs.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:24 AM   #35

Quote:
Some photos in this link.

Generator clicking noise

Looks like a good plan to me.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:06 PM   #36

Onan Generator won't stay running

Added some oil today and wouldn't ya know...it swallowed the oil and returned to the same level. Added some more, took more. Added about 1/3 quart. Maybe this was the problem but would that have shown error 36?
Old 07-02-2015, 09:18 PM   #37

Error code 36 is a uncomanded shutdown. This can be caused by low oil level. The two Onan units I had were very sensitive to oil levels. Needed to be at the full line all the time.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #38

Onan Generator won't stay running

Gennie cut out on me after 20 minutes right before leaving on a boon docking trip. Grrr. The fuel tank was at 3/8 so I thought maybe I'll fill up and we will be ok. Filled up and still no start. Figured I'd go to the site and try running off my gas can. No start.

Opened the fuel drain under the carb bowl, empty. Started the generator right up on carb cleaner so I knew it wasn't getting fuel. Pulled the fuel line off the carb and the pump was spirting fuel just fine.

Cleaned the carb with the help of a you tube video and bam. Started up just fine. Ran for the next 32 hours just fine.

I sure hope I'm done messing with the generator and I can worry about better stuff, like regluing my weather stripping on the bay doors or fixing some scratches.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:44 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Gennie cut out on me after 20 minutes right before leaving on a boon docking trip. Grrr. The fuel tank was at 3/8 so I thought maybe I'll fill up and we will be ok. Filled up and still no start. Figured I'd go to the site and try running off my gas can. No start.

Opened the fuel drain under the carb bowl, empty. Started the generator right up on carb cleaner so I knew it wasn't getting fuel. Pulled the fuel line off the carb and the pump was spirting fuel just fine.

Cleaned the carb with the help of a you tube video and bam. Started up just fine. Ran for the next 32 hours just fine.

I sure hope I'm done messing with the generator and I can worry about better stuff, like regluing my weather stripping on the bay doors or fixing some scratches.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atx-e8012s/overview/

Tags
generator, onan