Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2019, 08:59 PM   #15

There are about the only brand out there, gas or diesel.

Your going to see bad reviews.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2019, 09:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Your going to see bad reviews.
Bad review is not the same as an unsupported blanket statement.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:22 PM   #17

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

There are other Manufacturers of gen sets for RV's.. Altho...you will not normally see them in the mass produced RV brands however..
We have a PowerTech (Kabota engine)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:39 PM   #18

Two of the major players are Onan and Generac.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redapple View Post
Mine (Onan 5500 Gold) is 13 years old and doing fine. Replaced fuel pump and filter and adjusted valves last summer, other than that air filters oil and oil filters. Trouble free
20 yr old 7.5k with almost 1900 hrs still chugging along
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:14 PM   #20

Powertech and Martin Diesel both make quality generators, but are only found in higher end coaches and bus conversions. So hard to make a blanket statement about what rv's use.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:52 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had 2 onan qd 7500's both were variable speed, as load increased rpms went up,no load or light load basically idled, had 2 pnan 4k micro,s never had a issue, current one has 280 hrs, o ly thing I do on the 4k is drain the float bowl if it's going to sit more than 5 days, travel buddy I had in CA had a 4k onan with 3,000+ hrs on it, only needed belt replacement. Also both onan qd 7500's I had had well.over 2,000 hrs when I sold the coaches nothing major just filters and oil and a couple of coolant changes, never had a issue with onan' ok gas units have poor fuel.pumps but that is a easy and cheap fix.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:59 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Only the variable RPM ones !!
Do you mean the variable ones are bad or the cv ones?!
I became an sort of expert on the in-aptly named Microquiet 4k. I became a regular on the Smokestack forum's Onan section, learned to pull the unit by myself, installed a hoist ti get it up on the bench and learned to tear it down including the rotor and stater. Now I know just which wire will fall off while in the Mohave and how often to replace the breaker before it breaks. I have spent multiple days in Cummins dealers conversing with Flight Systems on the phone while telling the techs what not to do. It is now 17 years old and doesn't break any more often than when it was three. End of rant. This is why I am leery of Onans. On the pluss side it is always nice to learn a new machine while boon-docking.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:47 AM   #23

Great post. We had one of the old 1980's era two cylinder 4K Onans that ran 1800 RPM, and had no problems. Two 4000 Microlites in two subsequent motorhomes, and the last one would have been so expensive to repair we bought another one. At 5 years old and 700 hours, it developed the "stop running when the Start switch was released" syndrome and Cummins Onan Louisville relieved me of $381 for a new control module.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
...I became an sort of expert on the in-aptly named Microquiet 4k.... It is now 17 years old and doesn't break any more often than when it was three. End of rant. This is why I am leery of Onans....
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:34 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Great post. We had one of the old 1980's era two cylinder 4K Onans that ran 1800 RPM, and had no problems. Two 4000 Microlites in two subsequent motorhomes, and the last one would have been so expensive to repair we bought another one. At 5 years old and 700 hours, it developed the "stop running when the Start switch was released" syndrome and Cummins Onan Louisville relieved me of $381 for a new control module.
You got away easy. I had that problem and they tried to relieve me of $1,800. They said 2 new plugs, a weak spark due to a failing magneto bad board and faulty starter gear (8 month old starter.) The board was fine but was an improved board from Flight Systems. They said very old and worn out better get a new one. Once convinced that I didn't want a new board just because... . I convinced them that the board was fine, told them since it was a one cylinder they only needed one plug but go ahead with the magneto (clearly the root of the problem and replace the starter gear while it was out. It cost $1100.
I was lucky that I knew that I had a new carb and very good compression, new wiring harness and the stater and rotor had tested same as new or they would have really got me.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, generators, onan