Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2018, 12:28 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Onan Genset

I have an onan genset on my 2010 allegro bus 43qrd. On the generator itself I have a single on off switch/breaker. I’ve always been under the assumption that the switch isolates the generator from the coach Is been doing some maintenance on the generator and was starting it several times. I turned the switch off thinking that it should prevent interruption to shore power. During my testing one of my air conditioners cycled. When I investigated, sure enough the coach was running off generator power. Appears throwing the switch has no impact on the generators operation. I called and asked Cummins. They said the switch must have failed in the closed position. Has anyone had this type of issue ? The genset is a QVD 10K

2010 Allegro Bus 43QRP
glsponchos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2018, 12:43 PM   #2

Wow, is it a breaker and marked 35 or 40 amps ?

If it is, its actually a 2 pole breaker with one handle. Did everything work ?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:41 PM   #3

Post picture of your switch and breaker, that is strange. Mine has the start button and 2 breakers on genny.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #4

I'm confused. In your post I'm getting the impression you were plugged into shore power and running the generator. Yes, No?
Your transfer switch will always default to the generator.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I'm confused. In your post I'm getting the impression you were plugged into shore power and running the generator. Yes, No?
Your transfer switch will always default to the generator.
The OP said the generator breaker is switched off. The transfer switch looks for generator output. No generator output, no transfer.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
In marine applications, which I am all to intimately familiar with, that breaker(s) 9kills any AC output to the system. But if you were plugged in as well, and the breaker was ON, or if it was OFF but had failed ON, should the transfer switch change over to generator in the presence of shore power? This I do not know. Boats don't typically have automatic transfer switches, it's done manually at the panel , although that may be changing, I've been off the front lines a couple years.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:25 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Was the motorhome plugged in when this happened? If it was, the loss of power from the generator would signal the changeover box to go back to shore power.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:40 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2832.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	206186

2010 Allegro Bus 43QRP
Old 06-07-2018, 03:41 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes the coach was plugged into shore power, but I had the breaker turned to the off position

2010 Allegro Bus 43QRP
Old 06-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, everything appeared to work

2010 Allegro Bus 43QRP
Old 06-07-2018, 04:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsponchos View Post
Yes the coach was plugged into shore power, but I had the breaker turned to the off position
The shore power breaker ?
Old 06-07-2018, 04:27 PM   #12

That breaker should kill the generator output. If you are plugged into shore power , you will have AC power with that breaker in the off position.
The generator and shore power both go to a transfer switch , then to the coach. Generator power has priority , meaning with shore power connected and the generator producing power , the coach will be powered from the generator. If the breaker on the generator is turned off , the coach will get power from shore power.
To check if the breaker works , disconnect shore power , then start the generator with the breaker on . Once you have power to the coach , turn off the generator breaker . The coach should loose AC power.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:32 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
So as I read it he was plugged in, and had the genset breaker off, yet the transfer switch sensed generator input when he started and stopped it for service purposes, which I guess, but not sure, switched to the gen input regardless of shore power presence. So either he has a bad breaker, failed ON, or the gen is wired around the breaker, unlikely, or the transfer switch, having shore power present, should not be switching to gen, and that I don't know. Havn't owned mine a year yet, but she saved us in Irma. XO Big Mama
Old 06-07-2018, 07:52 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The shore power breaker ?

The gen set breaker in the photo

2010 Allegro Bus 43QRP

Tags
onan