Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #1

Onan genset Energy Command 30

Have a 2007 Fleetwood Providence with Onan 7500 Quiet Diesel genset.
Energy Command 30 remote panel is showing a red light on the Start/Stop switch. I think it may be a safety light showing that the ignition has not been turned on in about 30 days, but I'm not sure.
Could this be the reason.
It came on a couple of days ago and I started it (no problem).
I ran it about 30 seconds and when I shut it down, the light went off. Now it is on again. Any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Have a 2007 Fleetwood Providence with Onan 7500 Quiet Diesel genset.
Energy Command 30 remote panel is showing a red light on the Start/Stop switch. I think it may be a safety light showing that the ignition has not been turned on in about 30 days, but I'm not sure.
Could this be the reason.
It came on a couple of days ago and I started it (no problem).
I ran it about 30 seconds and when I shut it down, the light went off. Now it is on again. Any ideas?
First, is it flashing? If so, this is a fault code. Have you checked the fluid levels? Is your maintenance up to date?

These things are a bit fussy at times. They like to be exercised with about a half load each month. The manufacture requires this under the warranty period and not using it enough can void the warranty.

I had a problem with a genset like yours. I called Cummins ans gave them the code. He suspected a bad sensor and had me pull the wire off it. The set ran fine. I replaced the sensor and all was well.

I hope I inspired you into a fix. Keep us posted.

Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:26 PM   #3

Rick, thanks for the response.
The light is continuous. No flashing error code.
The light went out yesterday for a few hours, then came back on.
It went out again today and is still currently off.
FYI: I have not started the rig or had the ignition on for the last 30 days.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I wonder, Wayne, if your batteries are low. This will cause all kinds of problems that look like something else. I hope you don't use bio-diesel. That will cause all kinds of problems if you just sit. It jells over a period of a few months, so I am told. This happened to a guy I met at a campground.

Another thought is moisture buildup. That is another reason for exercising the generator n a regular basis. I hope you find a fast and easy solution soon.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 11-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #5

Thanks again Rick.
I have been using biodiesel but also using a 1-quart additive about every other fill-up to prevent the jello.
I turned the ignition on yesterday and the light stayed on, but went off some time later. It is currently off and hasn't been on for about 12 hours. The battery voltage is showing 13.4 volts for both the coach and chassis batteries. Also, the genset will start and run fine.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks again Rick.
I have been using biodiesel but also using a 1-quart additive about every other fill-up to prevent the jello.
I turned the ignition on yesterday and the light stayed on, but went off some time later. It is currently off and hasn't been on for about 12 hours. The battery voltage is showing 13.4 volts for both the coach and chassis batteries. Also, the genset will start and run fine.
You may have had a small bit of fuel starvation due to "clogged arteries" from the bio. The additive may have saved the day. Personally, I don't trust bio and the output power loss is not worth all the troubles in my opinion.

Glad you are back up and running. I hope you stay that way. You might change your fuel filter just for chuckles.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #7

Thanks for your help, Rick.
I'll do that.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for your help, Rick.
I'll do that.
Glad I had input that was of value to you. I hope all continues to run smoothly for you now.

Tags
onan