Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2011, 11:53 AM   #1

Onan Genset III hunting/surging

Hello,

I have a 1989 Fleetwood and it has an Onan Genset III. The gen. will start up and after a few seconds of "hunting/surging" it settles down and runs fine. First question: is this a concern?

Than after running anywhere from 5 mins to an hour it starts hunting and surging until it finally quits. Most of the time it takes at least 15 minutes before anything happens and this happens regardless of load. If I try to start it right back up it will not start so I have to wait 2-5 mins and then it starts back up only to have the same result. Can someone offer me some suggestions on what I should try?

Thanks in advance for you help!

Dan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2011, 12:11 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like it may be intermittently "starving" for fuel. Could be a "plugged" fuel filter if you have one or a bad fuel pump. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:14 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would check the fuel line for cracks and or loose clamps that allow air entry.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:19 PM   #4

Thanks guys! I do have an inline fuel filter and was thinking of changing out that as well as the air filter. I will try that and let you know how it works out.

There is also an altitude adjustment on the gen. how much should I turn this approximately for different elevations?
Old 11-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #5

Ok, I changed out the fuel filter and it seems to have helped but with Halloween being last night I didn't have much time to really test it. I will run it this evening for a longer time period and let you know how it turns out.

Dan
Old 11-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Dirty carb..
Old 11-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
If you've checked all of the above and you still have the problem then you might suspect the governor.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Dirty carb..
I went to Onan school in 1993 for a week at Mobile, Ala. We were taught hunting was caused by varnish buildup in the carb. This is caused by old gas in the carb. That is why they recommend running the gen. at least once a month.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #9

I would run a good dose of carb cleaner through it. If you can, disconnect the fuel line at the generator and put the suction from the fuel pump into a two or three gallon can of gas & carb cleaner. Run it for a few minutes then add a load and try and let it go for at least an hour. If all else fails, remove and clean the carb.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #10

It sounds like the consensus is that cleaning the carb would be a good idea so I will run the carb cleaner through it with some gas. Kirk, can you give me an idea on the ratio of gas/carb cleaner I should use?

Also, after changing the filter; it sounds like the gen. is getting to much gas. Can someone help explain to me where the screw is that adjusts how much fuel gets pumped into the carb.?
Old 11-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
the adjustment screw is on the bottom of the carb. It is in the center of the bowl.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #12

Same as the altitude adjustment screw correct?
Old 11-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pareja View Post
Same as the altitude adjustment screw correct?
Exactly. as you go up in altitude the air thins and you need less gas.

Tags
onan