Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2018, 07:09 PM   #1

Onan qd 7500 advice please

I need the part number for the temp sensor, and is the sensor the same as 3 cylinder kabota. I'm at the first week of a 6 month trip around the south west.
Thanks in advance
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2018, 07:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy2 View Post
I need the part number for the temp sensor, and is the sensor the same as 3 cylinder kabota. I'm at the first week of a 6 month trip around the south west.
Thanks in advance
johnboy I had mine replaced at Cummins of Ocala, The part# is 193-0318 Temp sensor. And yes mine is a 3 cyl. kabota. It would crank up and run 5 minutes and shut off. I could restart it and it would do the same. It was throwing a 24 code which is the temp sensor not resopnding
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh2013 View Post
johnboy I had mine replaced at Cummins of Ocala, The part# is 193-0318 Temp sensor. And yes mine is a 3 cyl. kabota. It would crank up and run 5 minutes and shut off. I could restart it and it would do the same. It was throwing a 24 code which is the temp sensor not resopnding
Thanks for the pn, mine will run between 2 and 4 or 5 hrs and throws a 33 code. I'm not sure thats the problem but I'm going to get a sensor in case I need to have a non cummins shop to fix it.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the pn, mine will run between 2 and 4 or 5 hrs and throws a 33 code. I'm not sure thats the problem but I'm going to get a sensor in case I need to have a non cummins shop to fix it.
Might be the water pump belt
TNMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:39 PM   #5

Quote:

33 is not an assigned fault code. Consult the owners manual to determine the correct code.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:49 PM   #6

Quote:
johnboy2,
Code "33" is an "overheat" condition. When venturing through the service manual, code 33 can be caused by multiple circumstances. Clogged intake, clogged discharge air vent, temp sensor, and there's more but, I've forgotten all of them. Anyway, I don't know how much you know about that sensor, its location and, what a serious pain in the a$$ it can be to extract. If your generator is on a slide, you're miles ahead of the rest of the gang that doesn't have that advantage. If your's isn't, well, get ready for some serious work.

Some of them, like mine, faught me for hours trying to extract it. Some screw right out like it was installed that morning. Now, if you're going to have a shop do it, well, again, be prepared. That sensor, if you don't know what it looks like, it's just about the same dimensions as a lawn mower spark plug. It ain't much in size but, it sure can cause some heartaches. Good luck on yours.
Scott

On edit: From the service manual:

No. 2—Low Oil Pressure

No. 23—Oil Pressure Switch Fault

No. 24—Temperature Sender Fault

No. 33—High Engine Temperature Fault
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:43 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you go to "More" above, then "Files" and search on Onan, you will find a parts list for your generator as well as other downloads which might help you.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:21 AM   #8

Thanks for the info all. What is ment ( more above , click on files )?
Old 05-27-2018, 07:40 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
There is a “files” section at the top of this page (right under your qd 7500)...click on it then electrical and then search onan 7500.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:03 PM   #10

Must only be on the full site I'm on the and using the app
Old 05-28-2018, 07:37 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I also had a code 33. It could be the fan belt, temperature sensor, thermostat or radiator cap.
I ordered them all. The radiator cap I found at Auto Zone. The rest I ordered on eBay.
Diesel temp. sensor Thermostat Kit A046Z961, 193-0318, 185-2238, Fan belt 511-0235.
You will need to remove the back and top panels. Also loose the side panel to access the fan belt and temp. sensor. The radiator cap was easy. It is under the control panel on the front of the generator. Along with flushing the radiator system, I completed this in an afternoon. In my case, I found a well worn fan belt may have been the problem, but while it was disassembled I replace the other items. While flushing the system, I was amazed at how dirty the coolant was when I drained it.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #12

Its always a good idea to clean to the actual radiator surface fins while the shroud is off.
I had a bunch of crud and so did the rv Ive been doing repairs on for a fellow.
I also had a issue using an infrared temp gun you can easily spot the issue. top hose vs bottom hose or a hot spot clogged rad bad term.
Ed
edfirebird68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:45 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Adding another chapter...same song, second verse

I thought I'd share a recent set of experiences with our new-to-us 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire DP. The coach has the Onan 7500 QD and about 3500 hours time.

Per original owner (who had documentation and receipts), routine maintenance was conducted per guidelines.

When I purchased it, however, the generator would idle "forever" with no load, but any load caused shutdown and Code 33 error. First I verified the Code 33, and yes - it was just barely overheating and the protection system(s) worked to prevent damage.

To remedy things, I addressed items in the following order:
1. Check coolant level. All good. Code 33 after ~10 minutes under load.
2. Replaced the engine oil and filter and fuel filter. Code 33.
3. Checked the water pump belt and it was fine. Like new. Checked all coolant hoses for kinks and/or leaks. They were fine. Code 33.
4. Drained the coolant, flushed with Prestone radiator flush and then rinsed with distilled water until clear; refilled with fresh coolant and 'burped' air from system for 3 days. Code 33. Old, drained coolant had a bit of particulate matter in it, but nothing gunky really to speak of.
5. Replaced water temperature sensor, thermostat and gasket, and radiator cap. Code 33.
6. Removed radiator and took it to repair shop for rodding and cleanout. They reported that the inside was 'nasty' and full of crud and particulate matter that they couldn't directly identify. The shop unsoldered the caps, rodded the passages, soaked in chemical bath (presumably muriatic acid?), re-installed caps, flushed, and re-painted with high-temp paint. Cost: 92.50 tax included.
Re-installed radiator and that was the ticket. Now runs perfectly (it always did, however) and no shut-down, no Code 33. The air exhausted by the fan from under the rig is significantly (waaaaaay) hotter now, so the radiator was clogged and cleaning it out allows proper heat rejection and dissipation.

Just thought I'd share in case it helps someone else under similar circumstances. You'd never know to look at the generator that there was a problem, and the drained/flushed coolant didn't look all that bad as far as particulates, etc. Well worth the approximate $100.00 to repair myself. Nothing was very difficult but disassembly of the generator side panels is slow and tedious. Luckily, the generator is on a slide which improves access without dropping the entire generator.

John
Towing 2015 Ford CMax Energi
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, onan