Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2016, 03:29 PM   #1

Onan QG 5500

So, bought an 2016 FR3 32DS, that has an onan 5500 genny. Can someone explain how this thing gets ventilation, because it looks pretty boxed up when the access cover is on it. When this thing runs it gets very hot. Five days after owning it, it quit running after about 25 minutes, and wouldn't run more than 20-30 seconds before shutting down, oil level is good and plenty of gas in tank 3/4 full. So far it hasn't done that again. I just can't believe how little ventulation there appears to be and how hot it gets. We are heading out on our first week long trip Wednesday and I'm hoping it works the whole time while we are driving.

Thanks for any input.
nvydvrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2016, 03:36 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Most newer Onan generators will display a blinking error code to tell you what's wrong. The enclosure is designed to allow adequate ventilation and cooling. That can be compromised if it was installed too close to surrounding air barriers diverting hot air or exhaust to be sucked in, preventing good cooling. A plastic bag or other road junk can also get pulled in the opening and block air flow.

I suggest you read your Onan manual to see how to get the error message and what each code number means. Also, in a new unit, I'm sure it's under warranty, contact dealer to see if they can check it out or they want you to take it to an Onan servicing shop. If you don't have a manual, you can find it with a search using Google.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:02 PM   #3

The code was the 36, shut down without using the stop button. There is a screen on the bottom of the unit, but other than that I see no other vents anywhere on this thing.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:14 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The bottom is where it vents, they do have a high temperature shut down but code 36 seems like lack of fuel. Fill up and try . Maybe the factory didn't get your fuel line deep enough into the tank.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:00 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Make sure you have enough gas in the tank. The fuel pump is a not uncommon failure item on the 5500. Cause intermittent stop issues.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:32 PM   #6

Is there any easy way to figure out if the fuel line is deep enough into the fuel tank?
Old 08-14-2016, 07:36 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvydvrdude View Post
Is there any easy way to figure out if the fuel line is deep enough into the fuel tank?
You could take the fuel line off the carb and apply power to the fuel pump and see if it pumps fuel

I've never heard of the fuel line being to short in the fuel tank
Old 08-14-2016, 07:36 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Since you reported that the tank was 3/4 full, I'd doubt if a faulty fuel pick up was the issue. You can test it by detaching the fuel line and blowing air back through the line. Remove gas cap and listen for bubbling. If you just hear a hiss, the pick up is above the fuel level.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:35 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm having the same issue with mine also, you need at least 10gals of fuel which it sounds like you have.
Simple way to check if your pump is bad/going bad: start your gen. from the outside position, if it stalls, prime it and listen/feel for the pump priming ( pump is under the front left corner of the unit) restart, waiting for it to stall again, keep doing this only you don't hear/ feel the pump priming. Bad pump.
That's what happened to mine after the third time trying to prime it.
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:24 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It gets plenty of air through the vent cut outs in the bottom. I see folks take the covers off thinking they are helping the unit cool but they are actually making it worse. The fuel pumps are crap on these things. I went through three before I finally got a good one and now it runs great (100 hours straight without a shutdown in 100 degree heat no less). It can help if you pull fuel line off after the pump and prime for 30 seconds and then reattach. They sometimes get an air pocket in the line that cannot work itself out depending on how fuel line was routed.

Tags
onan