Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Onan runs fine, but puts out no voltage

We have an Onan 5500 diesel generator. It starts and runs just fine, but I get no voltage at the generator electrical terminals at the automatic transfer switch.
I had not run it for a couple of months before this time.
I reset the 2 circuit breakers at the generator. They don't snap over like you would expect from a breaker. Instead they move softly, like a light switch would, (but they always have).
Do you think a critter got inside it and messed up the generator inside?
What would be my next step? I am handy and have a pretty good electrical and mechanical general knowledge. But, this is something I know nothing about, so I hope you can share your knowledge.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
We have an Onan 5500 diesel generator. It starts and runs just fine, but I get no voltage at the generator electrical terminals at the automatic transfer switch.
I had not run it for a couple of months before this time.
I reset the 2 circuit breakers at the generator. They don't snap over like you would expect from a breaker. Instead they move softly, like a light switch would, (but they always have).
Do you think a critter got inside it and messed up the generator inside?
What would be my next step? I am handy and have a pretty good electrical and mechanical general knowledge. But, this is something I know nothing about, so I hope you can share your knowledge.
Hi Pogo, I have an older model 6500 Onan Emerald LP gas. Mine also has a regular old style glass fuse in addition to the two breakers. I also had to replace the voltage regulator. This sounds like the cars of the 60's and older, but it regulates the output of the generator. hope this helps. old trucker
Old Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Onan

Model Number?
Year?
sailorbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I had the same problem on an Onan 7000 and found that one of the brushes was stuck in the brush holder and not making contact with the rings underneath.I simply pulled the brush out and cleaned the rings with a small stick with a piece of emory cloth taped to it.I pulled the gas line loose so it would not start and turned it over and let the emory shine up the rings and replaced brush when done.Never had anymore problems out of it after that.Hope this helps.
06georgieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Snap those 2 circuit breakers on and off a few times. sounds like they have tripped and did not mechanically reset when you moved them from off to on..
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Can you tell me how to polish the slip rings?? (followup)

This is my followup from yesterday. I removed the 2 30 amp breakers and checked them for continuity. They were fine. The Onan model is 5HDKBA-3590B, Spec B. It is a 2004 model.
I am thinking that I did not run it enough under a load.
Does anyone know how I would polish the slip rings? Or what else needs cleaned up? I read where they can get tarnished if the generator is not run often enough. Have any of you done this before?
Old 11-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #7

Rexhall Owners Group
Although I don't have an Onan generator, look for a seperate reset switch on the generator. Mine would not come online after working on the water heater of all things. I reset the breakers and still nothing. Finally notice a seperate switch on the generator just below the breakers. Re-cycled this switch and the generator came on line. Hope this helps.

Martin
Old 11-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Yes I have done it before and it fixed my problems.You will need to find where your brushes are installed this will should be on Gennie and usually has a rubber plug in the access hole.Once you find this I think is were 2 screws that held the brush assembly in place remove them and the assembly.Once the assembly is removed you should be able to see the slip rings. I took my fuel line loose to keep genny from trying to start,took a small piece of wood about 1/2 wide,cut a piece of 3M pad and wrapped it around the end and taped it so it wouldn't come loose.Turn genny over and place the pad against the rings and it should should clean them right up.Also check to make sure your brushes move inside the assembly and aren't sticking.Hope this helps, worked for me.
06georgieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Your Onan 5500 should be showing an error code if it is not producing power. The light should blink three times indicating service required and then a secondary code indicates the reason. The codes are usually very precise on the "Quiet Diesel" series on gensets. Your owner manual should have the procedure and the codes.

If you aren't seeing a Code 3 (service required), chances are the generator is producing power just fine but somehow it is not getting to the coach load center. That could means the generator breakers or the auto transfer switch or wiring in between.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Thanks for your help, gentlemen.
I am getting no signal flashing at all on the lamp on the starter switch. While the generator is running, I get zero voltage at the transfer switch generator terminals, and the 2 circuit breakers checked out fine. It always did work great before, and the RV has just been sitting parked. (probably parked too long without running the generator)
I think 06georgieboy is on the right track, since that worked for him. I will let you know.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the slip rings are not making cotact and there is thus no 120vac out the engine will shut off soon as you let loose the start button.

Neighbor of mine a few years back had exactly that happen, we were out in the desert with no power lines in sight (Even with field glasses we could not see any) Thankfully there was one active (part time) TT30 near him (well two of them to be exact) so he had 120vac whenever my Generator was running, between that and his panels (Solar) he survived quite well.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

As wa8yxm says, the generator itself is producing power if it doesn't shut down and you have no service code. Therefore I would be looking at the wiring harness between the generator itself and the transfer switch.

Your Onan QD5500 is an inverter-generator, i.e. it mechanically generates DC that powers a pair of inverters that then produce 120vac for each of two hot legs on the output circuit.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I will get back to the MH tomorrow. I would never have imagined that the enclosed wiring in the Sealtite would have a problem. But, I definitely will check it out, starting at where it connects to the generator.
I sure didn't know that the generator would shut down if it was not producing electrical power.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Problemed solved, thanks to your help

I love this forum. Thanks to your help, I fixed the problem of getting no voltage at the transfer switch terminals. I examined all of the wiring.
Yes, two of you were correct. There was no problem with the generator, but with the wiring inside the metal enclosure box around it.
Some one in the past had worked on it, and they solved an issue of loose spade terminals by using an old plastic bottle cap and some tie wraps to hold up the wires to keep them holding onto the breaker terminals. The space is cramped and that was their solution.
The wires had come off. I fixed it right and now it works.

Tags
onan