Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #1

Question One bad battery...

In watering the house batteries in our coach, I noticed that I was putting a really large amount of water in one of them. Then I noticed that water was running out under the battery compartment at about the same rate I was filling. Hmmm.. Of course, one cell was leaking.

Our house battery bank consists of four golf cart batteries, which appear fairly new. So, question is: can I just replace the leaker with a new one of the same size, or should I replace all four? Obviously, golf cart batteries are fairly expensive to replace all four. I have load tested the other three batteries, and they seem in good condition.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
well you might be able to reseal it with something. or just buy a new one.it should be fine mixing a new one with the old ones

Old 06-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any idea why the battery case developed a crack/leak? There is likely a date or date code on the batteries. If several years old I would replace all. If in fact recent, replace one is ok - but I would do a specific gravity check and breakdown voltage check to ensure others the are ok.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Automobilist,
Try replacing the bad battery with one the same capacity. My suggestion is based on the OP stating the load test on the other batteries is good.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
In watering the house batteries in our coach, I noticed that I was putting a really large amount of water in one of them. Then I noticed that water was running out under the battery compartment at about the same rate I was filling. Hmmm.. Of course, one cell was leaking.

Our house battery bank consists of four golf cart batteries, which appear fairly new. So, question is: can I just replace the leaker with a new one of the same size, or should I replace all four? Obviously, golf cart batteries are fairly expensive to replace all four. I have load tested the other three batteries, and they seem in good condition.
I would load test all the other batteries and if they pass, just replace the leaking battery. Just to be safe, I really believe you should load test the others prior to installing a new battery in that bank. All the best sir.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
calhyatt,
The OP mentioned he has already load tested the other 3 batteries.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #7

You can change only one, but your total A/H capacity will still be only as good as your wekest battery x 4.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
calhyatt,
The OP mentioned he has already load tested the other 3 batteries.
Missed that when I read his post. Ooops
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #9

The new battery will be drawn down and equalize to the other batteries. If they load test OK, that won't harm the new battery at all. You probably won't notice any difference in operation at all.

It's like a 4-1.5V cell flashlight. If you replace one battery out of the group, that won't damage the new battery UNLESS the other three (or even one of the other three) is/are in bad shape. Let's say that they are all reading 1.45V after a year of sitting in the flashlight. The new battery reads 1.56V. In short order it will be reading 1.45V. And you'll still get many months of good operation out of them. Now, consider one of the four is reading 1.0V. That's not good. It'll draw the new battery down to 1.0V in short order and cause an early death.

Same thing with wet cell batteries...sort of. Simple...sort of.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:07 AM   #10

Ok, thanks for the input. Have a good local source of batteries for $80/each, so I'll give it a try.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #11

Maybe you have already done this, but I recommend that you track down the electrolyte leak and neutralize its trail when replacing the battery. My DP has some expensive electrical relays under the battery compartment.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
Maybe you have already done this, but I recommend that you track down the electrolyte leak and neutralize its trail when replacing the battery. My DP has some expensive electrical relays under the battery compartment.

Very good point. Fortunately, there is nothing beneath the battery tray.

Tags
battery