Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2014, 11:21 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe View Post
I really appreciate your input, pumper, thank you. And, yes.. I've looked. But I have to be honest - over the last few months I've sifted through hundreds of "best rv manufacturer" lists across dozens of sites, and I can't recall anyone ever putting either Country Coach or Foretravel at or near the tops of their lists. That doesn't mean they don't belong there, or maybe they're a solid 4th or 5th place, but for my first time out I gotta stick with a top contender for the vast majority.

They are pretty, though!

Thanks!
On sheer numbers results, your comment above is spot on.

Most folks buying motor homes would not pony up for the quality provided in Country Coach and Foretravel rigs at their new model prices.

So there are far fewer of these rigs owned and reported upon than Newmar.

Newmar offers entry level rigs to high end rigs to reach a broader market. CC and Foretravel did/do not offer entry level rigs. Instead, their focus was high end buyers.

Perhaps, abandoning the statistics of lists mode and doing some walk around inspections might open new avenues of approach?

If not, then at least you seasoned your current decision.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2014, 11:52 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
I am one of the few that is ahead in the extended service contract game. I figure by about $12,000. So when I bought our current coach I started calling repair & service people to see who had the best reputation for payment, etc. XtraRide came up more than anyone else

Old 09-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe View Post
I really appreciate your input, pumper, thank you. And, yes.. I've looked. But I have to be honest - over the last few months I've sifted through hundreds of "best rv manufacturer" lists across dozens of sites, and I can't recall anyone ever putting either Country Coach or Foretravel at or near the tops of their lists. That doesn't mean they don't belong there, or maybe they're a solid 4th or 5th place, but for my first time out I gotta stick with a top contender for the vast majority.

They are pretty, though!

Thanks!
Foretravel is actually at the top of my list based on everything I've read about the build quality. Second is country Coach, and Newmar is third. They are now the only brands on my list.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:20 PM   #18

We were offered an extended service contract when we bought our current coach in 2001. It was good for 5 years, and in those five years we spent nowhere near the $5k cost of the warranty on items that would have been covered by the warranty.
As far as quality goes, excluding Prevost conversions and Newells, Country Coach has been in at least the top 3 from just about everyone on this forum and Open Roads forum in the "surveys" I've seen. Being slightly biased based on owning one for 13 years, and planning on replacing it with another newer Country Coach, CC is definitely on the top of my list.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:39 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I stand corrected...

Dean, you make an excellent point, and it's well taken. I admit that my relative inexperience in RV's makes me want to lean toward the safety of large numbers, but I have the luxury of time so I'm going to give Country Coach and Foretravel a second, third and fourth look. I have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to learn.

Everyone... thanks for the push

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:06 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
I am one of the few that is ahead in the extended service contract game. I figure by about $12,000. So when I bought our current coach I started calling repair & service people to see who had the best reputation for payment, etc. XtraRide came up more than anyone else

On the extended warranty....if I was going to purchase one I would do as TexasTom did.....Call several service providers and ask them who they like to deal with and who they DON'T like to deal with.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:35 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Arch, thank you for putting us back on topic, you're absolutely right - and TexasTom, thank you for the excellent suggestion.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:45 AM   #22

I never buy any kind of extended warranty on anything I purchase. We just purchased the Country Coach in my sig. We had no one inspect it. Spent a couple hours looking it over checked the looks and smell of oil and tranny fluid. Started and idled smooth. On the test drive it ran great trans shifted nice and smooth. A/Cs all worked including the dash and OTR air generator also ran nice. All new tires and batteries. Made a deal. Month later flew to a Fla. picked her up and drove it 1300 miles without one single problem. Put on another 1k miles and going strong.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:10 AM   #23

We bought a DP back in May, and researched EWs before and after we bought. They are not cheap, and none that I saw were exclusionary; meaning that while a crankshaft might be covered, gaskets and fluids might not be while getting the R&R performed.

Tires/batteries/electronics are not covered, and they are what you spend your first money on. A PPI from a local RV mobile service, or CW, or a truck shop is very useful. Oil analysis, full lube, inspect brakes, belts, hoses, etc. to learn the condition of the RV before you buy. We spent $1000 on that, including some minor repairs that we authorized after the initial report said that it was as good underneath as it was up top.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:44 PM   #24

I'm another gambler against the Xtended warranties. I'd rather keep my own money and gamble as to whether I'm going to need to spend it on repairs or not.
Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, but if the odds weren't in the win category, all these extended warranty companies wouldn't be in business.
In addition, I'm handy enough that I can fix most things myself, so if repairs or needed, all I'm out is the price of parts. Labor is what kills you nowadays. So if I couldn't do things myself, an X warranty might be a better consideration.
I did the same research as the OP and also decided on a Newmar Dutch Star. I haven't been disappointed. It's an awesome quality coach that has everything we want.
I agree that CC's and Foretravels are probably just as nice and maybe better in some respects and wouldn't rule them out, but the availability of Newmars is probably 5 to 1 in relation to the aforementioned two so they'll be easier to find.
Good luck in your search for the right rig for you.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:38 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, but if the odds weren't in the win category, all these extended warranty companies wouldn't be in business.
I think that sums up most of the last few posts perfectly, HicksRA! Thank you