Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-26-2015, 07:11 AM   #57
My 1st was a 1972 20' cab over, 2nd was a 1996 31' Safari gas, 3rd was our present 2002 DS Diesel. Bought all of them 2 yrs old. Love my 13 yr old 93K mi DSDP!

2002 Dutchstar, Spartan Chassis, 350 Cummins, 2012 Explorer.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2015, 07:25 AM   #58
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
We bought our first Gasser Class A in 2010. Since then, we sold it, bought a newer Gasser Class A, then sold it, bought and sold 4 Diesel Pushers and now switched to Diesel truck and 5th wheel. All in 5 years.
We were always searching for the next one we thought was the right one for us.
I always bought at a good price and sold for more than I had invested.

The Truck and 5th Wheel has finally given us what we want for space and amenities at a fraction of the maintenance, repairs and carrying costs of owning a Class A.

I think I might keep this 5th wheel for at least a year! LOL

Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:33 AM   #59
Started in '07 with a 31' Airstream, got tired of trailering, was parked several times next to motorhomes and wondered what they cost and felt like.

Much to my surprised used they were less $$ than I thought.

Found this 38' HR with 32,000 miles 2 years ago and love it, been making changes and upgrades. drove almost 14,000 so far.

Last year I put a deposit on new Newmar, but after figuring the depreciation on a $250,000 coach canceled it.
HR Endeavor 38CDS - 330 Cat - Aero Muffler
Miata close behind | 585W solar w/Kid Controller
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:55 AM   #60

Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
Your'e either crazy (), rich or you own an RV dealership!!!!!
one out of two
LVRVLUVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:06 AM   #61

Originally Posted by Salmon Run View Post
Fairly new to coach travel. Bought our MH used in 2010, 1998 Fleetwood Discovery, 36 foot, 1 slide, 275 hp cummins. Have toed a H3T hummer form Yuma to Alaska, from Vancouver to St John's NFL Canada. Have put 60k on and love it. We thought about upgrading but decided to spend some capital on the interior and we have it just the way we want it. Fuel economy is good and lots of room for 2 people so unless we have a major break down we are going to carry on. Happy trails to all.
i bought a new 98 discovery 34' in 98... i asked the sells man ... how long will the chassis last hauling around that big house...he said the house will be gone and the chassis still goinghe said a million miles with proper maintaince,.. we used to tow a 24' box trailer loaded to the hilt every where we went.. that little cummins did just fine wan't fastest or the slowest...

traded up to a 300 hp cat expedition horrible mpg and not that much differance in power...at least i didn't see any...
LVRVLUVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:46 AM   #62
A little new at this forum, why isn't the name of these rigs aren't mentioned?
Mr. Prevost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:57 AM   #63
I've probably owned over 30 cars, 7 houses, 3 wives ( well maybe not owned). i like change. Owned:

2000 VW Winnebago Eurovan Camper - too dang small
1998 Winnebago Rialta - too dang small, crummy bathroom
1994 Airsteam Landyacht - very leaky, other issues.
1988 Winnebago Superchief - bad decision on my part
2000 Thor Hurricane - just wanted to get a new one.
2016 Newmar Bay Star 3004 - On order can't wait.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:57 AM   #64
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
It wasn't about the brand, it was about how long you owned one before replacing it.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:14 AM   #65
We are on our 3rd motorhome. The one we have now is a 40ft 2006. We are debating now...keep it or buy another one.
valleydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #66
I consider us to be on our second motorhome. Though in the 70's I did drive a 69 VW Camper Van for both work, fun days at the park or beach, and very few camping weekends.

11 years ago, we bought a used T28 Bounder, brought back up to snuff mechanically, and then used it for 4 years. The goal was to not spend too much money at first, until we both decided that we liked, or did not like, the RV'ing thing. WE DID, AND DO.

We then were going to get a 3-5 year coach to last us until it was time to buy our retirement coach. Was in the process of researching and looking when the economy went South. So we waited a bit to see what was going to take place. Made the decision that we were still OK, and on track for our planned retirement. But then due to so many people needing to get out from under boats, RV's, homes, cars - etc. - we decided to pull up the purchase of our retirement rig a few years early. We stayed within our original budget range, and got what we felt was a lot more coach then we had expected.

Now? On coach two, and after several years of many tens of thousands in modifications - we really feel we did the right thing.

Will we have other coaches? I scare my wife from time to time, when I mentioned I'm always looking at Prevost based 40' coaches with two slides. Older units, but still with many, many more years of good usage ahead of them. Not because we'll wear out our CC Allure, but because I really like the Prevost! I keep explaining to her how much safer we'd be if an accident were to occur. While she understands this, and agrees - she just has not yet bought into my way of thinking(:!

Good chance, somewhere down the road, we'll downsize to a smaller RV of some kind. No way to tell what kind, as this could be out 10-15 years form now. But for more local trips, and parks, and beaches - again. Vs traveling for 4-6 months at a time, like we do today.

That's where we are now, at 2 (I really don't count the VW.), with maybe 1 or 2 more ahead. (Yeah, DW not biting on the Prevost - so probably just 1...).

Best to all,
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:43 AM   #67

Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
We're the original owner of our 1999 MH. It's been a sweet ride for the last 16 years. It was our first MH and my intention was to buy more than we needed and a bit over our financial-heads at the time. But I knew - similar to buying a home - that we'd grow into it; and we did. So we are now on a very active search for our "second" MH in 16 years.

After reading many and varied posts on this forum I've discovered that we are in the minority. Many of you have owner 4 to 9 rigs in this same time-frame!!! What's up with that?!?!?!?

What is more typical? Us or you? But more importantly, why???
Depends on how money you, that would be my guess.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #68
Good job!!!

Old 01-07-2016, 09:53 AM   #69
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Started small with 2 popups, went to 2 TT, diesel HM, next to 5er, lastly our current HM. Don't see selling this in the near future. Like others, keep getting bigger and bigger. Now being an empty nester, we bought for us (and pets).

Ford RV V10 5 star Tow tune
Front/Read Roadmaster 1 3/4" anti-sway bars. Roadmaster steering stabilizer
2009 Acme Tow dolly w/ 2014 Avalon Hybrid Limited
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote