Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2015, 06:21 PM   #29

First came a 2000 Eurovan Camper which was the current VW Camper. Bought it for nostalgia and the fact it fit in the garage. Net: too small

Next came a 1998 Winnebago Rialta. Nicer, bigger, but bathroom really was the pits and tires were a problem. Sold it and stayed home for a while.

Third was a 1994 Airstream Land Yacht. Bought because of the name and floor plan. Leaked like a sieve and a host of other issues. Sold it a quit again for a while.

Bought a really old 1988 Superchief that for some reason I thought I could fix up. Found out I had insufficient skills and not enough spare money.

Sold it and bought current 2000 Hurricane. Pleased with it but at 15 years old starting to show age. So four years later time to think about a new one. And this time do mean new.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #30

1993 Bounder purchased new and kept for 22 years and 200k miles. Purchased new replacement because wife wanted something different. Personally I would have kept the '93 for many more years. Interior is still extrememly nice and no fading of the graphics, plus I loved the floor plan and great window ventilation.
Our just married daughter and her husband are selling their camper and taking over ownership of the Bounder and are very pleased. I will be able to help them maintain the old beast, because I know every square inch of it. I am quite happy the Flounder will stay in the family.
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:04 PM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
We're the original owner of our 1999 MH. It's been a sweet ride for the last 16 years. It was our first MH and my intention was to buy more than we needed and a bit over our financial-heads at the time. But I knew - similar to buying a home - that we'd grow into it; and we did. So we are now on a very active search for our "second" MH in 16 years.

After reading many and varied posts on this forum I've discovered that we are in the minority. Many of you have owner 4 to 9 rigs in this same time-frame!!! What's up with that?!?!?!?

What is more typical? Us or you? But more importantly, why???
We bought our 2000 model Country Coach in January 2000 so we have been the only owner of this one for almost 16 years. We researched for a long time before going with that rig so we knew it was what we wanted. I think lots of the owners jump into something that doesn't meet their needs so they keep trading hoping to find one that they will REALLY like. After almost 16 years ours is still perfect for our needs so why trade?
Old 11-09-2015, 08:09 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2004' bought a toy hauler to haul the wife and Harley, Wife hated it.
2009' bought my buddy's 98 Kuntry Star cuz his wife hated it.
2012' bought a 09' Pace Arrow because I loved it.
2015' 3 weeks ago bought a 15' HR because the wife loved it.
Pretty sure we aren't done yet. Kind of fun to get a new coach. There isn't a safe in a coffin, so i'm not taking it with me.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:12 PM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
Pretty sure we aren't done yet. Kind of fun to get a new coach. There isn't a safe in a coffin, so i'm not taking it with me.
I told the DW I was going to be buried in the MH we have now!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:46 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to CruisinCondo
We tented for 16 years and finally broke down and purchased a used travel trailer when my wife wanted me to haul along a potty along with 500 pounds of camping equipment. We upgraded to a new travel trailer when our kids no longer wanted to camp with us any longer. In the meantime we purchased a boat and found we could not take the boat and our trailer to our favorite campgrounds at the same time, so we purchased our first used gas motorhome and were able to tow our boat and camp in comfort. After 10 years the gas engine was getting tired and we upgraded to our current diesel coach and I see no reason to upgrade again. By the time I wear this one out I will probably be too old travel. We are very happy with our coach and even though it is now 12 years old, I don't see any reason to upgrade.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:59 AM   #35

We are in our 1st RV, 2008 Dynasty. We set out to buy a C class but every dealer we went to we met wonderful people who were looking to trade into something bigger or had gas and wanted diesel. So we decided to cut to the chase and buy our 3rd coach as our 1st coach. Over the 4 years we have had the coach we learned NEW is not necessarily better or free of problems. Our Cummins has had 2 inherent defects of which Cummins admitted were inherent defects--that showed up after 28,000 miles. Glad we purchased an extended warranty. We have looked at newer coaches but can find nothing comparable to our current coach. So we plan to remain happy in our Dynasty until we find something better.
RayJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:35 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
I always advise anyone to try to buy your last MH first. But in our case it was a matter of resources so we are now probably in our last MH after 3 other "lesser" MH over the last 8 years. We would have saved money if we could have afforded this one first. But, no regrets here!
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:46 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2002 a New Dodge Dakota QC SB and 21' TT;
2003 New Ram 3500 QCSB and New Trailblazer 5th Wheel Bunkhouse;
2007 New Triple slide Trailblazer 5th Wheel;
2011 New to us 2003 Itasca Suncruiser and New to us 2002 Jeep Liberty;
2013 New 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F, Will most likely never buy used again, unless it's used but never used.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:23 AM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
6 Motor Homes

In 40 plus years of RVing we have had 6 Motor Homes. 1 DP and 5 Gassers. We down sized from a 38 foot gasser 10 years ago and have had 3 5th wheels and a TT and a motor home during that time. we purchased our present Motor Home a year ago when we traded a 34 ft Georgie Boy and down sized to the present 31 ft Hurricane. Probably this will be the last one we will ever buy. It is getting a bit hard for me to work on them at 77 years of age. I always enjoyed tinkering and modifying RV's
Mel
Old 11-11-2015, 08:03 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
After many years of flying and driving, we bought a 5th wheel toy hauler. Felt like we were missing something by not seeing the sights along the way. We got a good taste for RVing in the 5th wheel. We are hoping we bought our last motorhome 1st. I don't see replacing it in the foreseeable future, unless we subdivide our property and decide we don't need a home base. Then I would still have to think seriously about buying another or just refurbishing the Mountain Aire. The Cummins ISM is irreplaceable.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:32 AM   #40

4 since 2007. 3 new ones. Not one has cost me a dime. !!

My kids paid for all four of them for me.

From their inheritance !!

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:53 AM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
History first for 12 years of RVing.
First: 1992 Winnebago Class C 27’ with no slides. To discover if RVing was for DW.
2nd: 2002 Fifth wheel, 27’ with 2 slides.
3rd: 2006 Winnebago Journey 32’ Class A DP with 2 slides.
4th: 2006 Phaeton 40’ Class A with 4 slides.
All were purchased and sold in private market (no dealers).
The only error was the 3rd purchase of 2 slides. I thought it might be a mistake at the time, but felt it would get us into more FS and state parks than a larger rig. For us, 4 slides is much more comfortable for extended summer trips out of Tucson.
Vince & Patricia, Carson City, NV, FMCA, RVMutants#130
With: Ch. "Carrie", Std. Schnauzer & "Sophie" Cocker
'06 Phaeton 40QDH + '11 Fiesta w/ AirForceOne.
"It is more important to know the journey is the destination than to get there quickly."
desertvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:59 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would guess those that change MH's often also do the same with their cars.