Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-14-2010, 06:48 AM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
One more thing to check.

Just got back from a 5,000 mile trip. Only averaged one thing to fix for about every 500 miles, about average for a MH, not bad all in all.

When we traveled years ago in a MH, we used to check about a dozen things before breaking down and starting out for a days travel. Over time, it became SOP. This trip gave me a new major one and that could have been dangerous and costly and, only by luck, was it not.

We started to get ready to leave, my DW went to disconnect the utilities while I started to air up to bring in the slides (Monaco products, air up, slides in, jacks up). When I finished with air up, I shut of engine, got up and pulled in the slides, got back in the seat and hit the retract jacks button. As they were retracting, I got up and went toward the door to go outside and help DW finish up and hook up the Toad. As I opened the door, I noticed the scenery moving past me, the MH was moving!

Turns out the air brake was off and when the jacks lost contact with the ground, the MH just started to roll backward down the hill. I am old and fat, but you should have seen me move to get my wide load back in the seat to hit the brakes. My wife was screaming at me as she was trying to get the electric out of the box before it riped off the cord or pulled out the pole, almost ran her old load over. Lucky, we detached the Toad the night before and parked in front of the MH, lots of damage spared.

I thought that I must have spaced out and never activated the brake the night before when parking. Then it hit me, that was not possible on the slope, or the MH would have rolled before I extended the jacks. Then my DW reminded me that our heavy footed cat Honey Bunny likes to hit different switches and buttons at night to see what trouble she can create. Hard to imaging enough force to shut of the brake, but the only thing we can think of, one more thing to check!

2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ - 2009 Ford Flex
Me (Gatogonow), The Boss (DW), Honey Bunny, Maggie May and Mollie Kay (The Gatos)!
Jim Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
National RV Owners Club
I've seen a gentlemen at a Rally in Oregon who makes and sells a little block that you can put around the brake release for just that reason, heavy footed furkids who have actually released the brakes. Also saw him at Quartzsite. I keep thinking one of these days I'll make one, but for now we place a plastic cup over it.

Joe & Angie
Shih Tzu's Cookie & Rocky
2001 Tradewinds 7390 2011 CRV EX-L Navi w/ RoadMaster FuseMaster
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have hit on a subject that has been going on in my mind on this Nor'East trip. I would love to find a pre-made item that would fit between the button(knob) of the air brake pressure release, but it looks like I'm going to have to fabricate one. I'm thinking of maybe a small piece of PVC to fit in that tiny slot.

One of the recommended procedures is that when you stop is to release all the air in the system. Gently pumping the foot brake pedal will accomplish this. With no air in the system, the brakes cannot release. However, since you are like me, I start the engine to retract the slides and jacks. This puts air back into the system.

Another method is to always chock. I some times don't do that - bad on me.

Does anyone have any other solutions?
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
1 repair every 500 miles? That sure seems high to me.
94-Newmar Kountry Star 40-KSDP
Spartan/Cummins 8.3C-300HP/Allison 3060 WTEC-II/25yr RV Tech RVIA Certified/Onan-Cummins Certified
94-Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We use a plain old wooden clothes pin. It fits perfectly under the switch and protects us from the dog and grandkids! Our friends who have a winnie use the same thing but had to whittle it down a bit to fit.
Chuck & Mary
2008 Monaco Diplomat 40 SKQ
2008 Enclave Toad
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
I made a lock from PVC pipe. Go to Parking Brake Lock Engaged - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery and take a look. Several different diameters of PVC pipe glued together make this very solid. This can be used with or without the lock.

For a professionally made lock go to http://jendyk.com/parking-brake-lock...raight-trucks/ and read about this design
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by Our Time View Post
We use a plain old wooden clothes pin. It fits perfectly under the switch and protects us from the dog and grandkids! Our friends who have a winnie use the same thing but had to whittle it down a bit to fit.
We all get heavier as we get older,
because there's a lot more information in our heads..
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
oldcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:08 AM   #8
Talking Truck Stop

Most truck stops have wide assortments of doo-dads for sale, if the control is truck like, then there may be such an item, chrome plated hanging on a goody rack at a truck stop nearby.
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:02 AM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Looks like the motor home gods were smiling on you Jim. Glad everything worked out and no one hurt and no damage. I've been using the clothes pin fix while looking for something more professional looking. Since we have the same rig give it a try until you find something you like better. Our border collie likes to look out the windows at me and I've always been afraid she would step on the knob.
Larry and Cindy
Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
Towing a Jeep Wrangler
Knotdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
Can't believe I'm reading this!! We had just pulled into a level pad, engine running, brake on, dog not heavy enough to release anything except her yapping mouth, and as we stood outside on the driver's side near the rear (don't remember why after all the excitement) and the coach began to roll backwards! What a horrifying feeling! I (DW) being faster on my feet, managed to get around the front, jump in and step on the brake just before we would have taken out another rig! Don't know why this happened. We are new to our rig (2000 42' diesel pusher). SINCE THEN WE NEVER ARE OUT OF THE DRIVERS SEAT WHILE ENGINE IS ON! Took weeks before I could sleep at night. What did we do wrong? We are signing up for RV Bootcamp!
2000 42' Tiffin Zephyr 450 Cummins
We have a lake home,mountain home,beach home,country home,city home....AND never have to mow!
TheTutHut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #11
National RV Owners Club
After reading this the other day I finally decided to make a cover to fit over the brake release. I used a piece of 2x4 cut into a 2 1/2" square and then cut the inside out 1 3/8 square, and topped it off with a piece of laminate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake Block 002.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	6170

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake Block 001.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	6171
Joe & Angie
Shih Tzu's Cookie & Rocky
2001 Tradewinds 7390 2011 CRV EX-L Navi w/ RoadMaster FuseMaster
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #12
Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Bought one of these when the RV was new. You know, when you have a good excuse to spend even more money on accessories !

Haven't used it yet. Probably should.
2008 KSDP 3910
Central PA part-timers 1 son and a Sheepdog
Buick Enclave/Blue Ox/SMI Air Force One
KSDP_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Look at the good side....you didn't drive off with the jacks down.

If you dump all the air out of the tanks either by the dump valve or by pumping your brakes until the pressure bleeds down below 50 psi then all the brakes are going to lock on and you can release that parking brake button all you want. That MH is not going to move. Now when you start the motor and the air pressure builds up it can roll again.
Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #14
Monaco Owners Club
Jim, back to your original post....

I think you stated that when you finished (were preparing to leave) you air up, slides, then jacks. Unless your Monaco product is different I thought their process always called for slides to be first out, last in???????? On my 05 Knight the manual states jacks, air, slides when leaving. Just curious if I've missed something important.

Joan & Steve www.fosj-steve.blogspot.com
'05 Monaco Knight 40PLQ, '05 HD Deluxe, '08 HD StreetGlide & 2014 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 4x4
FOSJ is offline   Reply With Quote