Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2015, 01:24 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
One of those nights...

Wonderful trip to Myrtle Beach this past weekend, but included one of those nights.....

Got in and set up no problems, enjoyed dinner, swim at beach and pool then off to bed. About 3 A.M., when the air cycled off, I roll over and say the the DW, do I hear water dripping?? Looked out the window to verify not raining, then out of the sack to investigate, realizing the sound was coming from the bathroom, in our coach toilet is in separate room in the bath area, so I open door and step in to investigate, then that awful moment when I realize I am stepping in water... I switch on the light and see water cascading over the top of the toilet! Instinctively I step on the release to "flush".....nothing moves. Now, a little more awake I realize the black tank is full, and I mean full. Water, so far, is contained to the bathroom itself, and the walls around the room have a bead of silicone where they meet the floor, of course under the toilet where the floor is cut must be enough room for water to run to the compartment below, the one with the tank valves and sewer hose connection (thankfully). So I scramble outside in my drawers in the middle of the night to open the black tank valve, as I step off the last step I am met, again, by water!!....Got around to the compartment, open it and see what looks like Niagara Falls flowing down around the drop from the toiled which goes directly into this comparment. Pull the black tank valve, WOW was it full!! It drained for what felt like an hour as I stood in the dark in my drawers.

Turns out when I hit the pedal to "flush" the water valve released and stopped, so the flow was what remained on the floor. As I was outside attending the middle of the night tank dump, the wife was mopping up water, thankfully contained to the toilet area. Turns out this is the ideal coach design for this to happen with little to no consequence, i.e. no wet carpet, no floor damage, no wicking damage to wall, actually next morning no evidence of the event, except for unusually wet campsite for a night during which no rain fell!

It appears that when the DW used the head before bed time a piece of toilet paper had gotten hung up when the valve tried to close, not allowing the pedal to entirely release, and not allowing water valve to the stop position. Also in our favor, black tank had not been used on the trip except for prior to bedtime, shall we say number one's, and was otherwise empty!

Almost seems like it was just a bad dream

Had I had the A/C fan on run vs. auto, likely would have never heard it.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #2

Wow, not a great way to spend a night!! But, sure could have been much worse, glad your layout was supportive of such an event!!

And they say, what a couple survives together, makes them stronger - you two are solid for along time ahead!

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:02 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's more FUN in the middle of the night than I would like to have ...

Happy to hear that is was not all over the MH floor.
sikorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:10 PM   #4

Wow, that could have ended up so much worse. Thanks for sharing your experience .
ColdForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:16 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Definitely one of my worse nightmares.

Almost happen to us. We have an electric toilet, push button. We were leaving to go somewhere, either me or my wife used the bathroom before we both stepped out. We got in the car and left but then remembered that we left something that we wanted to take with us. Walked in the coach to hear the toilet on a continuous flush cycle. Fortunately black tank was almost empty when we left but if we had not come back I'm sure the tank would runnith over.

If we are going to be parked for an extended time we will leave the grey & black valve open. If we aren't hooked to sewer and water we will turn the pump off when we leave.

Thanks for the post, it will surely keep everyone up tonight
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:31 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You can consider yourself one lucky guy! What if that had happened the NEXT night!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:39 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Definitely one of my worse nightmares.

Almost happen to us. We have an electric toilet, push button. We were leaving to go somewhere, either me or my wife used the bathroom before we both stepped out. We got in the car and left but then remembered that we left something that we wanted to take with us. Walked in the coach to hear the toilet on a continuous flush cycle. Fortunately black tank was almost empty when we left but if we had not come back I'm sure the tank would runnith over.

If we are going to be parked for an extended time we will leave the grey & black valve open. If we aren't hooked to sewer and water we will turn the pump off when we leave.

Thanks for the post, it will surely keep everyone up tonight
I think that turning off the water feed might be in order for an extended day trip. A burst pipe in a bad place can do even more damage. I think that I'll put a ball valve in-line with my pressure regulator. Quick on/quick off.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:50 PM   #8

We have a pump switch right next to the toilet in the bathroom and one below the counter to the right of the kitchen sink. We make a point of shutting off the pump when we go to bed or out.
The water heater gets turned on in the morning when I get up to turn on the coffee pot and off until just before supper so we have hot water for the dishes. Otherwise--we leave it turned off.
We started turning the water heater off after a neighbor parked next door at Gateway to The Gulf RV Park commented that , because of the parking arrangement or the coaches, that our water heater was right outside their bedroom window and kept waking him up when it cycled on with a "roar".
Now it is just plain courtesy and conservation and it works for us.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:54 PM   #9

After having the valve hang one night I got several of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o08_s00

One beside the toilet, one under the bathroom sink and one under the kitchen sink area which accounts for the rest of the plumbing. They're LOUD!

We also turn off the city water if we'll be away a while.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:29 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
They are great. I have a few at home in strategic places, including one under the 125 gallon fish tank.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #11

Another reason the black tank can overflow through the toilet is by leaving the black tank flush valve open for too long with the drain closed.

Just ask me how I know.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:53 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
Another reason the black tank can overflow through the toilet is by leaving the black tank flush valve open for too long with the drain closed.

Just ask me how I know.
I hope you learned your lesson.... I on the other hand did not learn after the first time it happened
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:31 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstrace3 View Post
I hope you learned your lesson.... I on the other hand did not learn after the first time it happened
They had a thread going about "Dumb stuff that I did", but with this crew it might be better to have one about "Dumb stuff that I did twice!"

And yeah, I belong to that club.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:15 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
They had a thread going about "Dumb stuff that I did", but with this crew it might be better to have one about "Dumb stuff that I did twice!"

And yeah, I belong to that club.
Yeah, I started that thread a while back, truth is my dumb stuff is bordering on encyclopedic porportions. (for those that remember encyclopedias, OLD GUYS RULE!)
trode is offline   Reply With Quote