Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
More slides are better. Just because. Also more slides are more maintenance and more potential issues.

Passenger slide will reduce the amount of patio you are able to utilize.

All has to do with comfort and the amount of effort you want to invest for the comfort.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #16

The more slides, the better, however, we have 3 slides now with two in the living room. A major (to me) drawback is the awning is too high and really doesn't offer that much shade. Also, the awning can't be tilted to allow rain to drain off. So any rain, the awning has to be closed. If anyone else has any input on this on how to have more awnings but still have a functional awning, Id love to hear it.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassrv View Post
We've looked at a two slide coach that we like quite a bit that has one slide in the living area, one in the bedroom. We've also looked at coaches with opposing slides in the living area. DW seems to not have an opinion but I think I like having the larger living are? At the same time, I feel comfortable in the single living area slide, probably because I really like everything else about the coach. Has anyone ever thought they had to have the opposing slide in the living area but bought the single and been satisfied?

The floor plan has a sofa and dinette on the drivers side and an end table/desk, euro recliner and galley on the passenger side. We will not be full timing but using the coach once a month from three days to two weeks at a time. We are looking at a 42 tag with a big Cat.
I think that this depends on how you use your motorhome. We live in ours full time and I'd never go back to a single slide...we love the extra room. That said, the single front slides on older rigs usually are deeper and the one on our old motorhome made the front room surprisingly big. Also slides with the kitchen built in do not go out too far due to the weight. All this means that two slides is not twice as good as one...but two do often mean a more spacious feel.

The interior of the RV will be much more cramped when the slides are in with opposing slides...they often just have a tiny cramped passage between the retracted slides. Remember that extra slides equal more things to go wrong too. There are a lot of very nice coaches with only one big front slide. Older RVs that have only one front slide can be a real bargain too. If you like the RV and it's big enough for you for your vacations, then I would not worry about what you're 'missing out' on. Factor in the value of an RV with one front slide so you don't pay too much, but other than that, if you like the RV, buy it.

For us, the value of the extra room when we're parked and living in our RV are worth the inconveniences mentioned in this and some of the other posts here. However I would never take the position that everyone should have them...some people clearly would rather have more space on the road and bigger awnings and outdoor space when parked.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #18

Bluegrass, what model of MH are you looking at? I have a 4 slide Safari Panther 42' with a 525hp CAT. I traded in a 1 slide MH that had a large slide in the living area. I would not go back to a single slide. The amount of room that I have is amazing and even with the hide a bed fully out you can easily walk around it to get outside.(I travel with kids that like to sleep in). Send me a private message if you want some info on that CAT engine. Mine is a C13.
Steve
Old 06-05-2014, 10:59 PM   #19

Slemnah, I'm looking at a 2004 Country Coach Intrigue Ovation 505 two slide, 3 A/C's. It's somewhat local to me. CC made this in a triple slide too but they are hard to find.
bluegrassrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:19 PM   #20

That's would be a nice coach. How deep is the living room slide? I almost purchased a 2004 Panther that had mid door entrance but only 2 slides. The living room slide wasn't very deep so it didn't give much room. My 05 slides are much deeper and give me a lot of floor space.
Steve
Old 06-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #21

One or two slides in the living area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassrv View Post
Slemnah, I'm looking at a 2004 Country Coach Intrigue Ovation 505 two slide, 3 A/C's. It's somewhat local to me. CC made this in a triple slide too but they are hard to find.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1402086114.827362.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	64761Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1402086147.591048.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	917.1 KB
ID:	64762Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1402086178.161622.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	886.5 KB
ID:	64763

Here is the difference between a single living room slide intrigue ovation and my double living room slide Panther. The country coach is a fantastic motorhome so don't get me wrong. Just wanted to show you the room you would be giving up.
Steve
Old 06-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Multiple slides vs. single side

Just spent the past year in a unit with a single side. Last 4 months in south TX with DW and 2 Standard poodles. Enjoyed it but it got a little tight on a rainy day. Now we are driving a unit with 5 slides and didn't think we really needed them all until we started having grandkids join us. Now we are living comfortably and won't look back. It depends mostly on what your lifestyle/usage will be on what works for you. Good luck and safe travels.
runaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:17 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
Attachment 64761Attachment 64762Attachment 64763

Here is the difference between a single living room slide intrigue ovation and my double living room slide Panther. The country coach is a fantastic motorhome so don't get me wrong. Just wanted to show you the room you would be giving up.
Steve
That top picture is the exact floor plan we looked at. I'm really having a hard time making a decision. I'm thinking, will I be satisfied with a single in the living area or will I regret it and wish I had the opposing slide. I do spend a good amount of time outside under the awning, but I've pretty much decided my patio space and storage access will be secondary to what I like on the inside.

Thanks to those that have given input.
bluegrassrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:22 AM   #24

American Coach Owners Club
At this time I have the Eagle with just the 1 living room slide but I really like the room of the opposing living room slides. My wife however doesn't see the need for just two of us and when we looked at a couple of units yesterday that had the opposing slide in she was shocked about how narrow the space became for access to the kitchen area and bathroom. We are spoiled in that our Eagle is fully functional with the slide in, no narrow passages to navigate. So help me out, are there any coach models with the two living room slides that allow easy access to the rear of the coach, how do you feel about yours?
Old 06-09-2014, 07:44 AM   #25

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1402317680.632149.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	870.1 KB
ID:	64951

Here is a picture of mine with the slides closed. We have plenty of room to walk front to back, used the bathroom and open the refrig and make a sandwich without opening the slides. Ours is the same floor plan as a Monaco Dynasty diamond IV with a larger engine. Hope this helps.
Steve
Old 06-09-2014, 08:27 AM   #26

Official iRV2 Sponsor

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is to consider the functional usability of the MH when the slides are retracted, not just whether you can walk down the aisle. We have one slide that moves the entire kitchen and living room wall but when it is retracted we still have access to every cabinet, the bathroom, etc. Lately, I've been noticing that more and more MH's are being designed like 5th wheels, with very limited functionality when the slides are in. We like the fact that we can live with the slides closed nearly as well as we can when they are open.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #27

On ours there is only one cabinet I can't get into when the slide is closed. The amount of space when the slides were retracted was a huge determining factor when I bought mine as was bathroom size. I walked through a Essex 45 ft the other day and was shocked that my shoulders hit the wall on one side and the refrigerator on the other when walking down the hallway. I am not that big of a guy but I would almost have to turn sideways. The only thing I don't like about mine is the lack of a headboard and a window at the head of the bed and the fact that the cabinet above the bead hangs down too low and I can't sit up in bed. I need to find a cabinet maker that can remove and remake the cabinet.
Steve
Old 06-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
It depends !!!
It's not the number of slides, but just like real estate it's all about location, location, location
(and the length and depth of the slides...)
One buddy has a phaeton that their living room and kitchen area as big as ours at home with his two opposing slides!

Another has a Winny Journey (I think) that has a full length drivers slide ...

So the plan of the slides has more to do with livability than number - imho.

And I can tell you the awnings work well on both theirs with the large slides in that the awnings CAN be mounted on the slides too

our current rv has one awning mounted on the end of our LR slide... and we don't lose any outside living space due to the slides... we just park further to the drivers side

Tags
slide