Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2014, 10:57 PM   #1

One Piece Windshield gasket question

Just had my one piece windshield replaced and glass company that did the install did a hard sell on me on why the old gasket should be reused, given that it was in "good" shape. New gasket had been provided and was on-site but not used. Since I am unfamiliar with the dynamics of mounting one of these beasts relative to the gasket fit, does it make sense to re-install the 9 year old gasket that appears to be in "good" shape versus using the new one? I would really appreciate some authoritative advice since the rationale does not make sense to me !!!

Bryan

Jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #2

Doesn't make since if it was the correct gasket for your new windshield.
Maybe the supplier of the windshield kit (Duncan/Guardian) sent the wrong gasket w/ for the windshield and the installer wanted to get paid so instead of waiting on new gasket to arrive talked you into old gasket to get job completed???

Was this performed under insurance coverage or out of pocket?
Was there any kind of warranty on the installation from the installer?

Old 09-04-2014, 12:00 AM   #3

No mention of incorrect new gasket but rather the old one would make for a better seal against leaks. This is being done via insurance. Installer has a lifetime warranty against leaks.
Jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:18 AM   #4

You must store your RV under shelter for the gasket to be in such great shape for due to its age. I'm not sure what to advise you I just find it strange new gasket wouldn't fit properly unless it wasn't stored properly at manufacture or had an inexperienced installer. I know HR has swapped hands a few times but wouldn't thing that would matter. Not really important since it was thru insurance and installer offers life time warranty on leaks. That's unheard of in my area usually 30-90 day guarantee for if the windshield pops loose they don't know if its because owner had the unit in a bind from either driving terrain, leveling situation or incorrect install.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had to have the windshield on my allegro bus installed. When the dealer ordered the new window they did not order the gasket. The installer came and took the old window out then notified me that it needed a new gasket. The gasket was going to take a week to obtain and meanwhile my coach did not have a front window. Like you mentiond I have a lifetime warranty against leaks. I told the dealer to do whatever they wanted but someone was going to drive me the two hours home and I wanted the RV put in some place that the rain could not get in. The dealer and glass guy decided to put the new window in anyway. It took them three tries to fix leaks around the window over the next two months. It is not leaking now but I think the new gasket would have saved a lot of trouble.

Tags
gas