Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
You might consider this portable swamp cooler, it only consumes 60W: SF-610: Evaporative Air Cooler with Ionizer

It wouldn't require much more then a 200W inverter.
Thanks so much, do you know if it only works in dry climates, which is the case here in Alberta, Canada?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #44

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With a 1200 watt inverter you should be able to watch tv and use what ever other electronitc devises you have, for several hours if you upgrade to two 6 volt true deep cycle batteries, four would be best. I have a 2000 watt inverter with two 6 volt batteries. We watch satellite tv for several hours in the late evening and still make coffee in the morning with the Keurig. You will learn how to manage your power usage over time. As suggest charge the ipad and other devises with 12 volt adapters. 12 volt batteries won't last, been there done that.

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #45

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisha View Post
Thanks so much, do you know if it only works in dry climates, which is the case here in Alberta, Canada?
A swamp cooler works by a fan blowing across a wet mat. The dry moving air evaporates water (phase change) and the energy consumed in the phase change makes the air cooler, but more humid. If the air is humid to start with, the evaporation (and cooling effect) is reduced. They are best used when air is dry, too much humidity will make you feel hotter than the actual temperature. Here's a chart showing an evaporative cooler's effect at different relative humidity and temperatures:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coolerchartx-large.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	37277  

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Tisha, a light just went on, go to Canadian Tire Corp and talk to them about their 6 volt golf cart batteries. A service guy can install two of these in series for you and you will treble your boondock times. In all our RVs we had dual or more 6 volts and we went quite long times without running the generator.

If you travel place to place every day or so and boondock for a day or two at a time you should never have to worry about running out of 12 volt power with two (or more) sixes.

I didn't pick up on the Canadian in your posts at first.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #47

Smile Resolved!

Thanks so much, with all your helpful advice in the background, I met with the dealer and agreed that a couple of 300 watt inverters plugged into strategic cig lighter sockets would solve all my electrical needs, no need for expensive hard wired inverter with EMS-saved $3000, that plus some device that will monitor coach battery depletion.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisha View Post
Thanks so much, with all your helpful advice in the background, I met with the dealer and agreed that a couple of 300 watt inverters plugged into strategic cig lighter sockets would solve all my electrical needs, no need for expensive hard wired inverter with EMS-saved $3000, that plus some device that will monitor coach battery depletion.

That might work for the dealer when he's concerned that the $3000 option might ruin a sale BUT there are a lot of options between $0 and $3000.

In the long run, I think that you won't be happy using cig lighter sockets to move the DC power to small inverters . . . lot's a power loss! Perhaps you can sit on his lot and watch a movie using a 300 watt inverters plugged into a cig lighter socket one evening before you purchase?

As several people have pointed out, 6-volt golf cart batteries and a modified sine wave inverter in the 1200 to 1500 watt range would be a relatively inexpensive (few hundred dollars) fix.

Good luck!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

A "swamp cooler" only works in a very dry climate (read "desert") because it relies on rapid evaporation for cooling.

When parked in a friends driveway, you should be able to plug into a standard outdoor outlet (via a 30/15 adapter) and get about 15 amps worth of 120v power. That's plenty for tv, battery charging, etc. and you can even use the coffee maker in the morning (might have to turn the tv off while it perks, though). Run everything else on propane.

You are going to want the inverter for the Walmarts, though, and you are going to need enough batteries to provide the amount of time you desire. A battery upgrade, along with a small inverter, is in your future.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:20 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
YES, absent a hard wired inverter and supporting bank of deep cycle batteries, unless you run your generator or plug in to shore power you will not watch TV or play a DVD. That said, you "may" be able to get enough power for a TV from a portable inverter plugged into a "cigarette lighter" plug on the dash. Ed
Lower wattage inverters (less than 800 watts) are fairly cheap.
You can install several around the coach to meet many of your needs.

Really small versions can be powered via cigar lighters/outlets for almost
nothing. By moving them around the coach as needed money can be saved.

The larger (over 1000 watt) inverters are alot more $$$ and still
won't operate everything.

Unless money is no object you need to consider what will be used
where and when.

If you would like to learn more...

http://www.henry-davis.com/GMC/Living.PDF

and

Inverters by phred

Let us know what you end up doing.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #51

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
However -- nothing that runs on 120-volt AC power will run at all without shore power, generator, or inverter. If you plan on dry camping (no shore power) and dealing with "quiet time" when you can't run your generator, you'll need an inverter. But -- no inverter that I'm aware of will run your air conditioner, certainly not off your two batteries. That's a reality we all live with, so in that situation we open windows, run vent fans, etc.
Actually on our 2000 DSDP we could run a 13.5 heat pump off the two batteries thanks to CW installing the 2,500 watt inverter wrong! On two fully charged Interstate U-2200's the inverter would power the heat pump (one only even though we had two) for 15 to 20 min. At that point the inverter would quit due to low voltage.
My mistake was figuring that CW would know how to split circuits and do it correctly for the the $$ I paid for the work. That was the last time CW has seen my Dutch Stars!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #52

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I run my generator all night (when needed) in rest areas and truck stops.
Not a problem at Wal*Marts either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Another option may be a Honda i2000 generator.

You can move one around to the far side of folks you don't want to
bother and they aren't very loud to begin with. They put out about 2000 watts
and use very little gasoline.

With that much current (watts) you could run TV, ipad, coffee maker etc.
really you could run everything at once except the A/C system.

They (like all generators) are louder while under a heavy load, but not bad.

Go to a Honda dealer and have him power up something big
and listen to how noisy it is.

Around $1000 and it could be moved to you next coach, the beach and back-up
home power, with some safety adjustments.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #54

Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=bukzin;1541644]Another option may be a Honda i2000 generator.

We use ours all the time mainly for the TC, but we take it with us when we go boondocking in the MH even though the MH has a 7500 Onan. They are so portable, versatile and light and they fit in any basement compartment easily.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, the little Honda could also be a back up to the main generator failing.

By the way, what is TC ?
Old 04-24-2013, 01:14 AM   #56
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Tisha,

Your iPad can be charged in the 12 volt socket. Just swap out the plug for a USB cigar lighter plug. I highly recommend the LED TV. I boondock and can run my 22 all day with very little battery drain.

I prefer to be far enough away from others so that my major barker of a dog can't hear them. If she can't hear them, my generator won't bother them. You can park for up to 14 days in National Forests and on BLM land -- no charge. Lots of room to get far away from others. There is a Boondocking forum here with lots of info. Boondocking - iRV2 Forums

I had foster daughters with special needs for 10 years. I wish I had had an RV back then. It would have made travel with them so much easier and lots more fun.

Safe travels!

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote