Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #29

An LED TV uses the least power of all the TVs currently available.

If you're going to be using the Generator allot, consider one of these exhaust extensions. I won't go into details about the danger of running the genset without one, but I'll just say the extension will make you a happy camper: Cabela's: Camco RV Air-Cooled RV Generator Exhaust

You can make your own for under $50 too.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #30

Smile 30 amps is not the main issue

Thank you all so much, this newbie has learned so much from you. Certainly I am going to hold off on any decision on the magnum inverter/power management hard wired and expensive system the dealer is raving about (it is hard to convey the need for our family to be able to access at least the ability to access the 40 inch TV and DVD and IPad at odd hours, it is a soothed for our special needs child and allows us some sanity and down time). The power management or "turnkey" and "intelligent" ability of the power management system appeals as we cannot have too many things to concentrate on as our sons needs are exhausting, so not having to monitor battery depletion and keep small inverters handy is attractive. From your excellent advice,I think we can cheaply work around most issues (I.e. Use the stove's propane). I think my electrical needs boil down to having access to the big TV for a few hours in those rare occasions where we have no shore power And can't run the generator and be able to run the IPad always. The type of RVing we will do will often involve being parked in someone's driveway as we visit (but stay in the RV) and the Walmart parking lots (where we don't want to disturb with the generator), the campground stays will happen too but it will be a mixture. I say all this partly to encourage any further astute advice as I visit the dealer shortly.
Tisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #31

Question Further

Oops, forgot my question, if we are in someone's driveway in the RV overnight and we are plugged into the house 15 amp outlet, will any use on our part trip their breaker?
Old 04-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #32

Gulf Streamers Club
I really wouldn't worry about using the generator at a Walmart. If you park off to the side or in the vicinity of any parked trucks, their noise will cover any your shielded generator will make. The only objections I've heard are when someone pulls in next to another already parked RV and fires up the gennie. Park away from others and I don't see the issue. Many Walmarts are on busy highways where the road noise covers up any sound. It's certainly not like in a campground. Check on the power needs of your 40" TV and see how much power it uses. Hopefully it's LED and efficient. You could also consider a portable DVD player like this: Verezano PDVD-12309C 9.0" Swivel Screen Portable DVD Player, Black: TV & Video : Walmart.com for the times you don't want to use the generator or shore power.

Plugged into a 15 amp supply, you would be in trouble if you used A/C and anything else. The A/C along with the converter/charger that comes on when plugged in would put you right on the 'edge.' Firing up a Microwave, coffeemaker or entertainment system would put you over probably.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisha View Post
Oops, forgot my question, if we are in someone's driveway in the RV overnight and we are plugged into the house 15 amp outlet, will any use on our part trip their breaker?
If you exceed the rating of the breaker on the plug at the house, it will pop their breaker...so, yes - like a blowdryer is often too much draw on a plug at a house . And that plug might already be used by something in the house. If it pops, just decrease the load on the circuit.

And, just to add some ideas for boondocking...there are 12volt iPad chargers and TV/DVD's for your son if you want to just forget about any worries that those entertainment providers will be off-line for some reason.

The family will likely be able to adapt to stovetop coffee makers and such, so I would just keep it simple. These 12volt electronics will make driving time easier too, because without an inverter the wall outlets will be dead while driving, unless you run the gennie - which hits the MPG.

Best of luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #34

I don't want to put a damper on your RVing but, quite frankly, I think you need to step back for a moment and reassess your actual needs and expectations. I think you are trying to throw technology at some basic problems and you will not be satisfied with the results. Try telling us what your "got-to-have's" are in a 1), 2), 3), etc. format and we'll try to recommend the simplest/cheapest/most reliable solutions. High tech is not always the answer. If it breaks and you need to spend a lot of time and money in an unfamiliar city you will not be having a relaxing trip. For instance, if coffee is important at 5am in a "quiet time area", get a jar of instant and boil some water on the stove ... you will get by until 7am. This does not require batteries/genset/shore power/inverter.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^^^ X2. There are lots of ways to skin a cat. A French Press for coffee is our choice - others use instant, still others a percolator. And in some instances these lower tech methods are preferred. Like the French Press - for me - the best coffee there is. Help is help you. Itemize 1,2,3 and we'll try to help you check them off. It will make it easier on you too in choosing a solution. Edit - whatever you do - don't start put money in the dealers hands until this is sorted out.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tisha,
They do make a swamp cooler that runs on 12 volt. Mine easily runs all night on two batteries. It's no where near as good as A/C but at night, with the sun not beating down on the RV, it works very well. We put ours where the fantastic fan was in the kitchen. Put the FF in the bathroom. Look at turbokool.com, I think is still correct.
Chuck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #37

Gulf Streamers Club
Just be aware swamp coolers only work in arid climates. They do no good when humidity is high.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #38

Question Starting to focus on real needs

This continues to be wonderful, thank you so much for helping me focus and get past a lot of noise. Here (as suggested) is a best guess as to my electricity "must haves":
(1)-that I have DC power via inverter to give me about 2 hours a day of watching the big TV (40 inches I think, LCD) as well as my son being able to hook in his Xbox to the TV. From what I can determine I think this requires about 400 watts. This DC power might not be needed for stretches but I would need to know I can a access.
(2)-couple of small 12 volt fans hanging near beds for cooling at night, I see what you mean about a/c being not possible.
(3)-being able to recharge 1ipad and 2 iPhones
(4)-being able to watch a smaller bedroom TV possibly at same time as larger one in use with Xbox.
(5)-being able to run the swamp cooler at night that the one gentleman suggested
That's about it I think. One thing that I wonder about is what it costs to have the generator running a lot (I.e. In a quiet part of a Walmart parking lot), any estimates? Also, how easy is it to track house battery depletion, I think one person mentioned some kind of device?-this would be a concern.
Finally, I'm going to have to zero in on what the dealer means about how having EMS together with a powerful inverter would solve all my issues and give me a "turnkey and intelligent" system that would eliminate most problems(I recall the pitch that the price difference to move from a standard installed 1200 watt inverter to this "full meal" deal was to negligible to pass up if I intended to keep the rig for the long term , which I do. Thanks again, please continue to share, ICANN read for hours on the internet what I learn from you in 10 minutes!
Old 04-21-2013, 05:08 AM   #39

iRV2 No Limits Club
12V chargers for iPad and iPhone are readily available from a number of sources and it is better to use a 12V charger vs. using an inverter to get a 120AC charger down to 12V DC. Inverters use some power even when not being called upon to produce 120. Monitoring battery state of charge is a must and the goal is to not get below 50%. There are two battery monitors that are most recommended, the Trimetric by Bogart Bogart Engineering | manufacturer of the TriMetric battery monitor which measures volts, amps and amp-hours for battery systems and Victron 1 - Victron Energy and bmv-602s I chose the Victron because I am using it with a teardrop trailer and do not have a lot of wall space. I also prefer the ease of setup and being able to read SOC (state of charge) as a percent. The best source of easily understood answers concerning the care and feeding of deep cycle batteries that I know of is Deep Cycle Battery FAQ I congratulate you on seeking information early.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:10 AM   #40

iRV2 No Limits Club
12V chargers for iPad and iPhone are readily available from a number of sources and it is better to use a 12V charger vs. using an inverter to get a 120AC charger down to 12V DC. Inverters use some power even when not being called upon to produce 120. Monitoring battery state of charge is a must and the goal is to not get below 50%. There are two battery monitors that are most recommended, the Trimetric by Bogart Bogart Engineering | manufacturer of the TriMetric battery monitor which measures volts, amps and amp-hours for battery systems and Victron 1 - Victron Energy and bmv-602s I chose the Victron because I am using it with a teardrop trailer and do not have a lot of wall space. I also prefer the ease of setup and being able to read SOC (state of charge) as a percent. The best source of easily understood answers concerning the care and feeding of deep cycle batteries that I know of is Deep Cycle Battery FAQ I congratulate you on seeking information early.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #41

Tisha; May I offer different direction for your research? Your frequent reference to Wal mart parking lots as campgrounds of choice,suggests to me that a less costly place to be would be in your best interest. Passport America is a possible alternative,as they list many campgrounds that are available for half price.Many of them are not "five star",but the worst of them would be a better environment for your son,than a Wal Mart parking lot. They all have 120 volts and 30 amps should be available in most.I should add that many Passport America campgrounds are gorgeous but there are usually limits on when the half price applies. Just a thought.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #42

You might consider this portable swamp cooler, it only consumes 60W: SF-610: Evaporative Air Cooler with Ionizer

It wouldn't require much more then a 200W inverter.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote