Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2016, 07:20 PM   #1

Only Michelins tires for me.

Tire Question? Now hold the laughing

I am going in this week for new tires. The present tires, Michelins 235/80 22.5 XRV have been great. Best ride I have ever had in a gas RV. No cracks, No sign of wear over 45,000 miles. Had them inspected annually last 5 years. A little soap and water---they really look like new.

It is a shame to trash these tires.

I will keep one for a spare unmounted. Only problem was I bought them 12 years ago, came on the coach when new. Even my tire guy last inspection thought they looked way too good for the 2004 date code.

Should I try listing them on Craig's List.
thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 07:37 PM   #2

The Armchair Lawyers will be right with you.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderjet View Post

I am going in this week for new tires. The present tires, Michelins 235/80 22.5 XRV have been great. Best ride I have ever had in a gas RV. No cracks, No sign of wear over 45,000 miles. Had them inspected annually last 5 years. A little soap and water---they really look like new.

I will keep one for a spare unmounted. Only problem was I bought them 12 years ago, came on the coach when new. Even my tire guy last inspection thought they looked way too good for the 2004 date code.

I felt like some one stabbled me with a knife when I replace my Michelins that looked brand knew when they aged out of the program. 60 K and still years and years of tread left. But,,,,,I felt alot safer with the new ones.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:45 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would sell them on Craigslist. I have sold multiple sets of pull off tires there. Usually get $50-100 each tire, condition depending.

I would not keep one as a spare. I would buy another new one as the spare.

IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I would sell them on Craigslist. I have sold multiple sets of pull off tires there. Usually get $50-100 each tire, condition depending.

I would not keep one as a spare. I would buy another new one as the spare.

IMHO.
Let me get this straight, you would sell a tire that you would not keep as a spare?????
Old 05-16-2016, 09:17 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
Let me get this straight, you would sell a tire that you would not keep as a spare?????

I knew somebody would ask. (-:

Yes I would. My usage requirements may well, and likely do, differ from those of those who would be buying such tires.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:29 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The truck tire shop I bought my tires from gave me a $100. per tire for my 9 year old Goodyears.
They make great farm truck tires.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
The truck tire shop I bought my tires from gave me a $100. per tire for my 9 year old Goodyears.
They make great farm truck tires.
When I replaced my Michelins, the tire shop gave me a 100 bucks per tire also. Michelin retreads them for use as trailer tires. Can't sell them for the tractor but fine for the trailer.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:50 AM   #9

Quote:

How do the inspect them? Just look at the outside for cracks? How do the know what's happening on the inside? Mine look like new on the outside and local tire shop said they looked good and I still went BOOM.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:56 AM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Quote:

Thunderjet...
Your subject caught my attention..
I am looking to replace my 5 year old 295 80 R22.5 Michelin's due to extreme sidewall checking.. Michelin says "Cosmetic" I say unsafe.. I will put a knife through the sidewalls as I don't want anyone else to take a chance with these pieces of Junk.. The most expensive on the market the worst product!
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:06 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
YES!

Sell them on Craigslist. Depending on the size they should get about $100 per tire. Most truckers will use them on their trailers. They will NOT use them on their steers or tractor.

Do not listen to the naysayers.

If someone calls in regards to using them on any vehicle besides a trailer then they obviously do not have a CLUE about these tires.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:12 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
rhusak; I just had Michelin replace all 6 of my 5 year old 275x80 22.5's due to sidewall cracking. I think a lot of if Michelin will replace them under warranty comes down to the tire shops info they give Michelin. I told my tire shop that I'd taken 1 of my DW's pointed metal finger nail files, marked it at 3/23's of an inch (this is the point that Michelin calls the cracks unsafe) and had found numerous cracks that were this deep and deeper. He passed that info along with cell phone pics, and Michelin approved my claim.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhusak View Post
Thunderjet...
Your subject caught my attention..
I am looking to replace my 5 year old 295 80 R22.5 Michelin's due to extreme sidewall checking.. Michelin says "Cosmetic" I say unsafe.. I will put a knife through the sidewalls as I don't want anyone else to take a chance with these pieces of Junk.. The most expensive on the market the worst product!
Ron
I would be making a phone call to the Michelin warranty line.. I just had all 6 of my tires replaced (XRV) with new ones.. I got an 80% warranty credit from Michelin... the date code on my tires were 2611...

Those cracks aren't "cosmetic".. they are warrantable !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:44 PM   #14

I sold my old tires on Craigslist. A guy that owns several trucks bought them for trailer use. He was happy and I got $800 for them. They only had 25000 miles on them. They were 9 years old. Michelin XZE.

Tags
tires