Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2016, 08:25 AM   #15

Are running with 8 year old gas? Get that out and rebuild the carb to start. Until it goes it doesn't need to stop or turn so I'd say figuring out the fuel/running stuff is priority #1.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 08:26 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good thing is it runs. I assume if it has a throttle body, it has an OBDII port. If so, I would also get a code reader and see what it says. It could be mass air sensor or throttle position sensor acting goofy. I can not remember if the trucks those came in had TPS, but if OBDII port is present, it might give some insight. Diagnostic codes are all over google.

Brakes should be easy. worst case master cylinder and booster with all 4 wheels, best case new pads and bleed.

Also, that being said, once the engine evens out, check your vacuum. Brake booster likely needs it. May well have air leak in vacuum hose.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:31 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh yeah by the way, with regard to toys, pictures always welcomed. I have an old Austin Healey 3000 that one day will ride again. 30 years in a barn did it no favors.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club

I hope you and Boo are handy. One thing at a time and I'm sure you'll have a workable RV.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:38 AM   #19

If you run a blown fuel Harley on the salts you know what you need to do to fix It or know someone. But be warned I bought a $10000. Gas p chassis to Se if we would like it I'm on my second 40 ft diesel pusher
Old 09-22-2016, 09:01 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Doesn't anybody read peoples posts completely? It does not have a carburetor. It has throttle body fuel injection as the OP stated in his original post. Top of my head, tires, belts hoses, change fuel and fuel filter, sea foam works wonders, change fluids , inspect brakes and then start working on the rest of the rv systems. Sounds like a fun project. Hope the roof is in decent shape!
Old 09-22-2016, 01:47 PM   #21

Toys and friends. I live on a farm with two horses and four pigs.

The surging was caused by a bad gas cap. When we picked it up, we put fresh gas in an almost empty tank. I still intend to pull the tank and check its internals. All the advice given was good advice, and I will pretty much do it all as a matter of course. I thank each of you. I obviously have a leak in both my steering and braking systems. I hate working on either one, but they must be fixed here. We have no garages here, and both the Ford and Chevy dealers are kinda rip-offs.

I sold the Hudson and the pickup to fund other projects. I am not a show car kinds guy - I drive my vehicles. My Harley fueler is a 1956 Harley KHK, a relatively rare bike. I lived a rather interesting life, but I am old now. Hence the moniker "Invisable", which is misspelled by the way. When I was a little kid, adults spoke around me as though I wasn't there, and now that I am old, the youngsters are doing the same (like my beloved grand daughter).

I look forward to my road trip to BSFs. I worked too many days and too many hours before I retired. There is no way to catch up. So, I will try to outrun a friend from England and another from Denmark at BSF (we will be in the same class). It will definitely be an "E" ride.

Jim
Invisable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:51 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We agree that belts and hoses should be replaced. We didn't with our 1985 and regretted it. One thing we learned the hard way (replaced 3 times incorrectly) is that the Chevy 454 has a stone guard at the bottom of the serpentine belt. If it's dropped down from the top, it goes on the outside of that stone guard & polishes it shiny while putting enough drag on the belt that we blew 2 AC compressors. When put on correctly, between the stone guard and the pulley (from the bottom up) it works beautifully.

Melody & Mike, Jake the hearing dog
Cats: Silver, Cleo, Lily, Almond, & the late Zima
2001 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Textronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:06 PM   #23

Start with replacing everything and anything that contains rubber. This includes but not limited to, TIRES, brake hoses, calipers, and master cylinder, soft fuel hoses, belts, water hoses, and vacuum hoses. Then you get to the extras such as shocks, sway bar bushings, windshield wiper hoses, and the engine AC system.

Just did this overhaul to my new to me 2000 Winne Brave SE.

*TIP: for frame, mechanical and engine parts go to www.rockauto.com and www.partsgeek.com
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:52 PM   #24

Everyone was so nice, I thought I would update everyone. I replaced oil, gas, all belts (found a cache of new belts in one of the storage compartments), throttle position sensor, idle control module, vacuum hoses, all filters I could find including air filter, added power steering fluid, still can't get to the brake master cylinder, but I will find a small, limber friend to do that. The tires are not original. They are outstanding replacements with no visible oxidation. Even the spare looks new. Results: It runs like a top when warmed up (thermostat opened), but it still won't idle. The throttle body has no manual adjustment for idle, but this one soon will. I will install a fuel pressure gauge in the dash (yes, I am aware of the danger), and a backup inline (near gas tank), electric fuel pump. I may still drop the gas tank and replace the internal fuel pump for dependability's sake.

Everything, every accessory on this RV works and works like a charm. I am thrilled. I paid $1500 for the RV as it sat, as was, where was. I have loaded it with all the necessities of life, but I still need to buy a potable water hose as the one that was, isn't.

I will also re-seal every roof seam, and then over-coat with sealer. I will refinish all the real woodwork (mostly cabinet doors) in a reddish (logwood) walnut color, and the crappy fake veneer in dark gray paint. I want to stain the wall fabric to a very dark blue (gun metal blue). I may replace the carpet, but am unsure of the color. Maybe the ladies can give me some advice. My idea of decorating is to have the gun cabinet in the bedroom.

I will get the dash AC refurbished as soon as the brakes are functional. I will get the roof AC's tested as to charge pressure. Also cleaned.

I am eager to test drive the whole she-bang. I love road trips and always wanted to do Route 66 and the Pacific Coast Highway (again). Maybe hit the north west federal parks. Maybe Banff.

Thank you all for your advice. I re-read all your posts and made notes for my to-do list.

I have tried to post pictures, but the host keeps telling me they are too big (too many characters). I am currently trying to get some pictures of a Jagarundi that lives behind my farm (not native to the area). Also my pet raccoons and toys.

I want you all to come to BSFs in August of 2017 and watch me run for the record.

Jim
Old 09-24-2016, 08:27 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisable View Post
It was very inexpensive and it fit my needs. I bought a 1937 Chevy pickup that had been stored since 1954 (had 16000 miles on it), and I bought a 1949 Hudson convertible that had been stored for over 10-years and had 64000 miles on the odometer. It ran like a new car and looked like one. It placed 1st in the National Car show in 1985. Why does one buy anything? Heck, money is just something you exchange for something else you had rather have. Why I bought the RV is to pull my chase vehicle and Land Speed Racer (blown fuel Harley) to Bonneville Salt Flats next summer. Belts, etc can be replaced - worn out stuff can only create grief. If this sucker makes it to BSF and back, it has served its purpose as far as I am concerned.

I invite you all to come to BSF next summer and see this old buzzard run the salt. One is never too old to have fun.

Jim
I love every word of this post! BSF is a bucket list item for me and I think we just might be there. Good luck getting the rig going.
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:29 AM   #26

Sounds awesome! Glad to hear someone else having luck with their rehab. 2 things I would note. Don't put carpet back on the floor. Find a nice vinyl tile or vinyl wood strip simulant. Stay away from carpet (too hard to keep clean), wood laminate (no tolerance to water), or real tile (will crack due to body flex). Also the roof top AC will need to be replaced. They are "sealed system" units and not meant to be compressor serviced or recharged. Just like any sealed system you "can" splice into them and do it but have a high probability of leaking out within 12 months.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by imob View Post
Sounds awesome! Glad to hear someone else having luck with their rehab. 2 things I would note. Don't put carpet back on the floor. Find a nice vinyl tile or vinyl wood strip simulant. Stay away from carpet (too hard to keep clean), wood laminate (no tolerance to water), or real tile (will crack due to body flex). Also the roof top AC will need to be replaced. They are "sealed system" units and not meant to be compressor serviced or recharged. Just like any sealed system you "can" splice into them and do it but have a high probability of leaking out within 12 months.
That is bad news about the AC units. Ouch! I don't like carpet, so vinyl tile it will be. I want to replace the light fixtures also. I really need a woman's touch on this one, but Boo will have to do.

I still can't understand why I can't post pictures. I followed the instructions to the letter.

Jim
Old 09-26-2016, 08:44 AM   #28

For lighting I have had really good luck with Ebay and Amazon. My wife and I can not stand brass so from day 1 it has been her mission to change out ALL the brass for brushed nickel. We did all the cabinet hinges and handles and most of the lights. We still have a few pieces to go, like the bathroom light, and the swivel lights over the couch. We can not seem to agree on the lights over the couch.