Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2016, 08:50 AM   #29

Forgot to mention that real hardwood or "manufactured" hardwood are also possible choices for flooring when doing a rehab. I have seen a few coaches redone with real hardwoods and it looks really nice. The difference can come in on thickness. Real and Mgr wood floors tend to be much thicker then other options. This can cause install issues with the steps and doors.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2016, 12:23 PM   #30
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You mentioned that the tires are not original. That's good. But, did you check the DATE CODE? It should be molded into the sidewall. I have read too many stories of "good looking" tires, with old dates, having blow-outs.

Before I learned about tire dating, I learned this the hard way on a 10-year old cargo trailer. The trailer had spent a lot of its life stored in a climate controlled building and the tires looked great. Tread was real good. Low mileage on the tires. We were towing the trailer down the Interstate doing 60-65 when suddenly it "felt funny." Immediately pulled onto the shoulder. Got out to see that the tire was in shreds. Limped to the next exit. Fortunately it had a Walmart with an auto department. I parked next to their building and we got out to take a look. What we had not noticed the first time was that the entire aluminum fender had been ripped off and was no where to be found. Yup, we looked at the shredded tire on the side of the road before and none of us (3 guys) noticed that the fender was gone. Fortunately no one was hurt. We purchased a pre-mounted tire on a new rim (saved old rim for future spare) and got on our way. Upon return home I replaced the fender and the running lights on the fender. We got lucky!

Moral of the story: check the dates. RV tires typically "age out" instead of "wear out."

Sounds like you've got everything else under control. And, got a lot of work done in a very short period of time. Impressive.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:47 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by imob View Post
For lighting I have had really good luck with Ebay and Amazon. My wife and I can not stand brass so from day 1 it has been her mission to change out ALL the brass for brushed nickel. We did all the cabinet hinges and handles and most of the lights. We still have a few pieces to go, like the bathroom light, and the swivel lights over the couch. We can not seem to agree on the lights over the couch.
We don't like brass look either. Rather than replacing light fixtures, I painted them with some Rustoleum Satin Nickel spray paint. It did a wonderful job and really looks great. Much cheaper than buying new fixtures. We did replace cabinet pulls and hinges. The real fun was painting the shower door frame.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:13 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
We don't like brass look either. Rather than replacing light fixtures, I painted them with some Rustoleum Satin Nickel spray paint. It did a wonderful job and really looks great. Much cheaper than buying new fixtures. We did replace cabinet pulls and hinges. The real fun was painting the shower door frame.
jt
I am an old Mississippi boy myself (Starkville - MSU BS-70 MS-73 PE). How do you like that Newmar? I looked at them and came away with sticker shock.

Jim
Invisable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:18 PM   #33

Quote:
Forgot to mention that real hardwood or "manufactured" hardwood are also possible choices for flooring when doing a rehab. I have seen a few coaches redone with real hardwoods and it looks really nice. The difference can come in on thickness. Real and Mgr wood floors tend to be much thicker then other options. This can cause install issues with the steps and doors.
I am leaning toward "snap together" flooring for flexibility. Relatively thin stuff.

Jim
Old 09-26-2016, 06:04 PM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would certainly not write off the roof air. We traded in hundreds of campers from the 70's and 80's with almost all of them having the original roof air. You can check out your own roof AC. the system is closed and can not be pressure checked unless modified. They have no fittings and very rarely leak. The most likely problem you will run into on a unit that has sat this long is a frozen fan. You will probably have to take off the top cover and free up the fan. Also check the blades for dirt dauber nest. They throw the fan balance off and cause severe vibration.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:55 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisable View Post
I am leaning toward "snap together" flooring for flexibility. Relatively thin stuff.
This what we are putting in ours. We are going to do it between our Halloween and Thanksgiving trips.

Shop STAINMASTER 10-Piece 5.74-in x 47.74-in Washed Oak - Dove/Gray Floating Rustic Luxury Residential Vinyl Plank at Lowes.com
Old 09-26-2016, 08:27 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I am an old Mississippi boy myself (Starkville - MSU BS-70 MS-73 PE). How do you like that Newmar? I looked at them and came away with sticker shock.

Jim
Love my Newmar!
Really don't want anything else.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:37 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I would certainly not write off the roof air. We traded in hundreds of campers from the 70's and 80's with almost all of them having the original roof air. You can check out your own roof AC....
I ran both AC's today, and nearly froze. Both work great with a little noise from the rear unit (barely hear it). They will work fine.

Thank you.

Jim
Old 09-27-2016, 01:40 AM   #38

Quote:
This what we are putting in ours....
Looks fantastic. How did you handle the doorway?

How does one remove the plastic trim that covers the wall seams without breaking it? Do you just pry it off?

Jim
Old 09-27-2016, 05:57 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great work!

What a great rig you are saving. It will be so much better than new. Love following the progress. I would look at the tin wood veneers also. That will look great. I am from Ackerman.
Jpcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:51 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpcoleman View Post
What a great rig you are saving. It will be so much better than new. Love following the progress. I would look at the tin wood veneers also. That will look great. I am from Ackerman.
Ackerman? Isn't Opra Winfrey from Ackerman too? We played you guys in football back in the day. There were some tuff guys in Ackerman.

I am refinishing the wood right now. It may take forever at the rate I am going. I am going to switch to Formby's magic stuff to save time.

I am also installing a fuel pressure gauge in the dash. I am teeing in at the TBI connection and using a diesel isolater between the gauge and the tap-in so no gas will be in the cab. I will use 1/4" copper tubing to the isolater and plastic gauge tubing after the isolator. Hereafter I can constantly monitor fuel pressure.

Do you root for the Dawgs? I still have my cowbell.

Jim
Old 09-29-2016, 10:19 PM   #41

Quote:
Looks fantastic. How did you handle the doorway?

How does one remove the plastic trim that covers the wall seams without breaking it? Do you just pry it off?

Jim
Wall seam? not sure I have to tackle that one. If it is reference to the flooring it is better to very carefully notch the floor rather then mess with it. Colored caulk/grout .. as long as the space is small is very good at covering any questionable areas on the notch.

If you mean in general.. on plastic that is not loose should not be touched unless you intend to replace it. The glue holding it will be stronger than the plastic it is attached to.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:38 AM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Ackerman? Isn't Opra Winfrey from Ackerman too? We played you guys in football back in the day. There were some tuff guys in Ackerman.

I am refinishing the wood right now. It may take forever at the rate I am going. I am going to switch to Formby's magic stuff to save time.

I am also installing a fuel pressure gauge in the dash. I am teeing in at the TBI connection and using a diesel isolater between the gauge and the tap-in so no gas will be in the cab. I will use 1/4" copper tubing to the isolater and plastic gauge tubing after the isolator. Hereafter I can constantly monitor fuel pressure.

Do you root for the Dawgs? I still have my cowbell.

Jim
You have a early model TBI. If I remember correctly, The early models had 13 PSI pressure and the later model was 32 PSI. I think the fuel pressure gauge is a good idea. The isolater is even better, but why not go with a electric gauge? One thing to remember. The pressure regulator is built into the TBI unit. You will be reading unregulated fuel pressure, so your pressure readings will be higher than the pressure going to the two fuel injectors. A word of caution. The electrical connection that snaps on the two fuel injectors is easy to pop loose. Always check the connectors just before putting on the air cleaner.