Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2016, 07:22 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
SO no ladies have given you advice on the interior, so I will offer some. GO with lighter colors. IT will make your interior seem more spacious. NOt sure about the gun metal gray! DEfinitely do not put carpet down. you will be camping and need something durable and easily cleanable. GEt a throw rug for inside the door and get a large mat, for outside the door. Will make clean up easier, Also will need small throw rug in front of shower to prevent falls. YOu didn't mention blinds. YOu will want functional blinds both for privacy and for sun screening. LAstly Eureka makes a cordless stick Vacuum that is perfect for keeping the floor clean and takes up very little room. ENjoy! Hope to meet you in our travels!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2016, 08:02 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Invisable, With all that stated mechanical experience, I would hope that you will be letting us know what and how you proceed. Good luck, sounds like a challenge.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:53 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oprah Winfrey I think isfrom Kosciusko actually. But yes, I do still root for the dawgs. My wife's dad played football there in the early 60s. Ironically, my whole family went to Ole Miss except for me. I want to Millsaps.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:34 PM   #46

No problem. I located the adapter I needed at Summit Racing of all places. I must alter the output to the gauge to accept a 1/4" compression fitting. I will run 1/4" copper tubing from the adapter to the diesel isolater (available on-line, just Google "diesel isolater"), and then I will run regular plastic tubing (3/16") to the gauge since there will be nothing but air in the plastic tubing (that's the purpose of the diesel isolator). Any part of the assembly that will be in the cab will be free of gasoline for safety. I will monitor the raw fuel pressure, which is what i wanted to do from the get go. It is a super quick way to see problems developing with your fuel pump or a plugged fuel filter. My Land Speed Racer will have only three gauges/instruments, 1. a tach, 2. an Air Fuel Ratio (AFR) meter (read very expensive), and 3. a fuel pressure boost gauge (1/2" ID SS covered insulated gravity drain fuel line to the carburetor).

I was an engineer in my former life, but I liked fast cars, fast women, and fast horses (not in that order). I specialized in building 383 ci Chevy smallblocks for street racing as a hobby. They were torquers and killer street engines. I internally balanced them to disguise them as 350 ci engines. Street racing is all about cheating better than the next guy. I did street race Harleys until I saw a couple of my friends get killed and more maimed. Cars were much safer. Now I don't give a damn. I am aging and I don't look forward to the process very much. I have lost my fear of dying somewhere along the path to righteousness.

I wish I could post photos. I just worked out a simple system for quick changing the blower drive pulleys and at the same time provide a way to seal the primary oil and also provide a big nut to allow cranking with a handheld starter (I use a Coleman left hand) for my LSR. The whole setup is less than 3" long and simple to build (machine work). I only run a 6 to 1 static compression ratio to prevent exceeding a 12.4 to 1 dynamic ratio under full boost. Bear in mind my engine is a flathead (sidevalve) engine built in 1955 by Harley. I have to build a lot of HP to compensate for the 4200' ASL and 120F temperatures at Bonneville Salt Flats that rob you of 30% of your sea level HP.

I realize this all sounds boring to most people, but designing and building the bike is as much fun as running down the salt. You do stuff most people wouldn't. For example, I bought 4 new valve guides to match the 4 new valves I bought (that didn't fit my engine off the shelf). I immediately sent them to a specialty shop to have them reamed, a hand machined silicon-bronze liner press fit into the reamed hole, and the bronze insert reamed and polished to fit the small valve stems of my new valves (flat head, 5/16" stemmed) racing valves that now will fit my engine. Total cost was $400 for four valve guides that will fit into the palm of your hand. Total gain was a 1/16" reduction in valve stem diameter which blocks fuel flow to the cylinder. Jim Lieneweber (really famous cam maker) hand made my new cams (he ran a blown Harley named Barn Job for many years). Total cost, including buying a new set of Sportster cams to use as cores, was about $1,000. I didn't want to use my KHK cams as they are so rare. I cut the transmission case of my engine and TIG welded a new transmission case off a later Harley for added strength. I replaced every gear in the transmission with custom made gears. I had to buy a used set of cases to get the donor trans case. The Aisin 500cc/revolution blower came from Japan. And on and on. It's fun just dreaming up ways to alter the existing parts. 90% of the alterations are for strength and added safety and do not produce a single extra HP.

Ah, but I digress. I am working on the RV on the side just so I can camp at The Bend. I have Salt Fever.

Jim
Invisable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:49 AM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisable View Post
I am building a Land Speed Racer, so I guess one might say above average.

Jim
An article from a Harley forum I was on called HED

> For the engineer types among us.......fascinating stuff.
>
> A Lesson in Acceleration:
>
> First, some useful info:
>
> * One NHRA Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more
> horsepower than all the cars in the first four rows at the Daytona 500.
>
> * Under full throttle, a Top Fuel dragster engine consumes 1 gallon of
> nitro
> methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate
> with 25% less energy being produced.
>
> * A stock Dodge 426 Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive
> the
> dragster's supercharger.
>
> * With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive,
> the
> fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition.
>
> * Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.
>
> * At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane the flame
> front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.
>
> * Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the
> stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric
> water
> vapor by the searing exhaust gases.
>
> * Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of
> an
> arc welder in each cylinder.
>
> * Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way,
> the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves
> at
> 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.
>
> * If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in
> the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow
> cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.
>
> * In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate at
> an
> average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph well before half-track,
> the
> launch acceleration approaches 8G's.
>
> * Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed
> reading
> this sentence.
>
> * Top Fuel Engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light.
>
> * Including the burnout the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under
> load.
>
> * The redline is actually quite high at 9500 rpm.
>
> * The Bottom Line; assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked
> for free, and if,for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated
> $1,000.00 per second. The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is
> 4.441 seconds for the quarter mile (10/05/03, Tony Schumacher).
>
> * The top speed record is 333.00 mph (533 km/h) as measured over the last
> 66' of the run (09/28/03 Doug Kalitta).
>
> Putting all of this into perspective for you bikers: You are riding the
> average $250,000 Honda MotoGP bike. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel
> dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you
> pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the RC211V hard up
> through the gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster
> at an honest 200 mph (293 ft/sec). The 'tree'goes green for both of you
> at
> that moment. The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your
> wrist
> cranked hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your
> eardrums and within 3 seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He
> beats
> you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed
> him.
>
> Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200
> mph
> and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed
> you
> within a mere 1320 foot long race course.
>
> That, folks, is acceleration .
>
>
>
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #48

My ex-wife loved top fuelers. The blast that hits you in the stands is awesome in itself. My bike isn't going to be near that fast. I am actually running methanol plus a dash of nitro for grins (and extra HP).

I am picking up my fuel gauge today. I will take pictures of the installation in case anyone wants to duplicate the process. I like simple, safe installations with a minimal of fuss.

Jim
Old 10-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Posting pics: instead of using quick reply to post - use the Go Advanced button below, scroll down to the manage attachments and use that to browse, select, and upload pics...
yes, you do need to limit the size of the hi res pics to a smaller jpeg - but you can use paint to do that (if a windows pc)

good luck and interested in your quest !

Are you sure you are not just following the plot of https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...fastest+indian

great little movie !
Old 10-03-2016, 04:41 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Are you sure you are not just following the plot of Burt Munro's great little movie !
I have only seen the movie within the last couple of months after someone else asked me the same question. I had never heard of Burt Munro before, but now he is one of my heroes. Burt was actually a lifelong land speed racer, and this is my first land speed venture. I doubt what Bert did could be done under the existing rules (he was allowed to run even though his streamliner didn't pass the safety inspection), and his record didn't become a record until after his death (hmmmmm?). I thought it was a great movie.

The answer to your question is "no", as Burt's effort was quite different from mine. Burt piloted a totally enclosed streamliner (safer in a crash), mine is a real essentially stock looking Harley that will run really, really fast. About the bucket list thing, I understand about 90% of the participants at BSF's are over the age of 60. For me, I don't have a bucket list. I just want to do something I have wanted to do since I was a kid, and never had the time nor the free funds. I doubt many married guys do this sort of thing, as it is VERY expensive. That one week trip will cost me, including bike alterations, over $20,000 and two years of almost constant work, not including the initial cost of the bike; and there is NO monetary prize.

It is a 100% sunk cost project. I have already spent thousands of dollars, and the bike is in a thousand pieces. Until it is assembled and tested, I have no way of knowing if all my work will function as planned. Remember, my bike is running under Vintage class (pre-1955), and parts are almost impossible to find, mostly are all used, and my safety depends on their survival under very harsh conditions. It is a huge, expensive gamble, and I doubt anyone would do such a project based on seeing a movie unless they are a complete fool.

Jim
Old 10-03-2016, 04:46 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
I know, just pulling your chain Jim !!!

That is more than a little bike movie... has a lot to learn if the youngsters would pay attention !
Old 10-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #52

Do the bench seats at the dining table supposed to have seat belts? The cushion is cut for them, but I can find no place to bolt them in.

Jim
Old 10-06-2016, 06:14 PM   #53

Hurricane Matthew is headed my way. I am going to ride out the storm and hope by the time the storm reaches me it will have dissipated a great deal. I live in NC about 40 miles from the coast. I parked it next to my house on the south side to shade it from the wind which will approach from the north. This will be about my 15th hurricane. I rode them all out except Allen, which was a direct hit on my home (CC, TX), as was Floyd (Wilmington, NC) which I did ride out inside a building with 2 ft thick brick walls. I went outside when the eye of Floyd passed over. It was eerie to say the least. Watching the opposite wall approaching was freaky. From total calm to over 100mph winds in a matter of seconds, and I and another man were standing on the roof of the building.

How do you guys protect your RV's during a hurricane?

Jim
Old 10-15-2016, 11:39 PM   #54

Matthew is gone and my new/old RV survived with no damage. Had a slight leak over the windshield area (small puddle), but that was it. Been refinishing the cabinet doors with Tung Oil and they look great (slow process). Got the diesel isolater installed and the idling issue resolved (idler device not properly adjusted). The fridge freezes everything including a bottle of brandy I put in the lower section.

Back to Jason D. Williams!

Jim
Old 10-16-2016, 01:05 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Jim, you said you HD is a 1955 Flat Head? Is it a Sportster?
I had a 1954 Panhead, that was a custom, way, way, not stock!
Was on the orig. hard tail frame, that had been raked, the wide glide frontend extended, the motor was built by "Lake Shore Harley", balanced and blueprinted, bored 30 over, stainless oversize valves, Sifton solid lifter cam, Barnet clutches, Trans had the gears changed so 4th was a OD, the first 3 were close ratio for drag racing. It was a terror on the dragstrip around Central Il. many years ago!
My best friend had a early 40's 80 cu. in. flat head, that came out before the knuckle heads, and it was a beast!
Love to see some pic's of yours!
I have a few of mine and my buddies if you want to see, I will have to find them! Rail!
Old 10-16-2016, 03:37 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Jim, you said you HD is a 1955 Flat Head? Is it a Sportster?
I had a 1954 Panhead, that was a custom, way, way, not stock!
Was on the orig. hard tail frame, that had been raked, the wide glide frontend extended, the motor was built by "Lake Shore Harley", balanced and blueprinted, bored 30 over, stainless oversize valves, Sifton solid lifter cam, Barnet clutches, Trans had the gears changed so 4th was a OD, the first 3 were close ratio for drag racing. It was a terror on the dragstrip around Central Il. many years ago!
My best friend had a early 40's 80 cu. in. flat head, that came out before the knuckle heads, and it was a beast!
Love to see some pic's of yours!
I have a few of mine and my buddies if you want to see, I will have to find them! Rail!
Dude, I had a '54 Panhead (also a '48), but I loved the old Flatheads for some unknown reason. Self hatred I suppose. My '54 was notoriously hard to crank. My right leg looked like PopEye's arm. I got drunk once at LenLew's and met this willing young lady. After about 50 kicks, that '54 was still sitting there, quiet as a mouse. I finally passed out. Came to and the young darling was gone, the '54 still wouldn't crank, and I was very tired. I wore bluejean cutoffs and sandals all year long. I thought I was cool.

My '56 is a KHK, the predecessor of the Sportster. It is a long stroke 883cc, 54ci side valve engine (2.75" bore). It was close kin to the KR's guys like Cal Rayborn raced for Harley (one of the KR's did 150mph all day long at Daytona). I will post some pictures later today.

Your bike sounds like it was one bad bike. I would love to see pictures of it, as I am sure everyone else would too. Post 'em. I have some great pictures of my old bikes and my crazy friends from the day if I can find them. All my old buddies are now dead. Oddly enough, all of them were killed in various car accidents except for two. One of the two choked to death on a chicken bone and the other was killed in RVN (Army Ranger).

Jim